The Stingray

The Avengers Vs. The Dark Knight Rises. MY breakdown.

TA Vs. TDKR.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like more?

• The Avengers
    • The Dark Knight Rises

"Pfft"ieffer has all the charm of a perverse streetwalker that just screams "trying way too hard".  Any relationship she and Bruce has seems more suited to an episode of GCB than a true love story.

Hathaway exudes natural sophistication with a cunning undercurrent and a subtle disdain and biased view of high society which is slowly stripped away as the film progresses and her situation is altered with her getting to know Bruce at different aspects.  Their relationship develops more naturally than Burton's attempt to prelude Twilight by a couple of decades.

What "relationship"?

"I steal your mom's jewelry in your manor and I hit your cane as a crippled man so I can escape with your car while you're creeping on the floor. I betray you at first occasion to satisfy my own personal interest without expressing any remorse. And somehow, in a befuddling way, you still want to hit on trust me wholesale after your back has been broken into by my fault trapped in a hole for months so we can end up living the Dolce Vita because happy ending."

Hilarious.

That's what you call a developed and nuanced "relationship"?

What I see is Selina Kyle is monolithic (a burglar that wants to settle down all the movie hence that plot device she's looking after from beginning to the end) and just because Wayne can't stop waving at her despite how shitty he ends each time he deals with her in the movie (masochistic much?), you're forced to assume she's changing even if it's Wayne constant flaunting to her without other reason than he thinks with his batdick. Wayne is like "The tabula rasa plot device you're after is in my pants and I even let you pilot my batpod, honey". She's just like "OK then, you rich gullible needy boy."

Wayne looks like a crippled needy guy trying desperately to hit on a bitchy gold digger the whole movie. That's your asexual "developed relationship" plain and simple.

I call that half-assed, forced "romance" coming out of nowhere just because Nolan wants to wipe everything Batman wrapped in the most conformist and demagogical way to do something else more interesting. Nolan can't match the brash boldness and iconoclastic brilliance of Burton's take on that romance.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I think TDKR is a much better film than Batman Returns and Hathaway is much better than Pfeiffer.  But Batman Returns is one of the dumbest most moronic films I've ever seen, so that's not saying much for TDKR.

I think Hathaway was good in her role, but I do agree that he characters 'our of nowhere' romance with Wayne was just too rushed and forced to be taken seriously. Nolan is brilliant at structuring stories but I never truly care about any of his characters, Alfred aside.

Closer to poop and written like a romcom with a lovey dovey happy-ending more saccharose ridden than any Disney movies in general, yeah.

you just went full iJack, never go full iJack. Would be better if he (Bruce) died or ended up alone?

Edited by Goffe Rises

And "Pfft"ieffer is just cosplaying as her Witches of Eastwick character, but without the gradual transition and nuance that film provided.  Here, she's just a parody.

And goodie two shoes Annie Hate-her-way is a ridiculous try-hard Black Widow cosplay you'd see at Comic Con that doesn't even acknowledge that she's portraying "Catwoman" because , for Nolan's odd choice, naming a character Batman dressing like Batman is acceptable but naming a female character Catwoman looking like Catwoman explicitly is not. (i.e. Those goggles are a joke when Batman is given ears that don't have any practical use other than look cool like comics Batman for hence). Nolan didn't take on the mythology of the comics character in an unassuming fashion and that shows in that hacked and half-assed portrayal that has nothing "Catwoman" but a lame sidekick to provide an unearned happy-end you'd see in awful romcoms with a forced lovestory coming out of nowhere with no gradual transition, no chemistry nor nuance.

Lol

Acting

TA - 7

TDKR - 8

TDKR fares better. Thanks to Tom Hardy extra marks for him!

Action

TA - 9

TDKR - 7

TA way better than TDKR in terms of action and set pieces.

Ambition

TA - 10

TDKR - 6

TDKR wasnt as ambitious as TA. Pointless to compare it with TA but overall TA was much better.

Cinematography

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

Both are equally good.

Dialogue

TA - 9

TDKR - 5

Not a fan of dialogues but thanks to Iron Mans witty one liners!

Emotion

TA - 6

TDKR - 9

TDKR was high on emotion during the final scene before he reappears.

Humor

TA - 10

TDKR - 3

TA witty and humour at its best. TDKR was as bland as possible.

Score

TA - 8

TDKR - 8

Equally good.

Script

TA - 10

TDKR - 7

Generic for TA but thanks to screenplay. I liked the story alot compared to TDKR.

Villains

TA - 7

TDKR - 8

Bayne rules!

TOTAL

Avengers 85/100

TDKR 62/100

Winner TA

On 11/2/2012 at 3:23 AM, The Stingray said:

Let the :flamewar: begin.

Here is my breakdown:

Acting