A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Chen Tao is the biggest SW fan in China and he love The Last Jedi. What he said is the opinion of the most Chinese audience.

And we already said, the retro style of The Last Jedi is the reason for doing worse and worse in China. Those IQ comments are not really important.

star-wars.jpg?w=1000

This didn’t make us feel nerves, and we felt bored about it. Unless it’s some kind of war scenes like…...

transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen.jpg

(way better !)

Mostly fighting in desert can’t give most of Chinese the feeling of what Sci-Fi should be. And Chinese love to see fighting/destroying in cities.

cb5ad58028bc640911340fc1d6047886.jpg

transformers3-dotm-trailer-octopus.png

(Epic !)

Star Wars universe is a world that most Chinese can’t be involved in. This should be a space battle Sci-Fi story in our opinions, and we can’t understand why they always talk about Skywalker family or Jedi or lightsaber. We don’t think Jedi & lightsaber should exist or be the focus(if force users are not main roles like Donnie Yen in RO, we might be more interested about SW) in this epic story. We think Jedi is something like swordsman(武侠), great fighting skills, can control things by force(气), has special weapons like blades. And we don’t need a story about Jedi because Chinese artists(including Hong Kong’s) are very good at making our own great swordsman/action movies. Imagine why American should go cinema and watch Wolf Warrior 2 while Hollywood can make Saving Private RyanBlack Hawk DownThe Hurt Locker.

By the way, this probably is the most epic scenes in SW movies in our opinions. If all the scenes of the whole 2 hours movie are space battle like this. Well, SW will be huge in here.

SW_Thanksgiving_Space_Battle.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I read the article and besides no clarifying on how TLJ insults audience  ... i have rather discovered that chinese audiences are kind of stupid and superficial if what it's written is true (what i highly doubt...). It seems another "rob cain" type of guy who just is anger with himself for some small penis issue and just need something where to focus his ire:

“For a lot of fans, the story of Rogue One made us think of our own country’s revolutionary history,” Tao pointed out. “A lot of characters in it were just like the Communist Party members who sacrificed themselves for the revolution.”

:l33t: That Tao guy makes me feel a bit uneasy.  :ph34r:

I know, right? Has he forgotten that "revolutionary" RO flopped in China? :hahaha:

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I know, right? Has he forgotten that "revolutionary" RO flopped in China? :hahaha:

Eh, RO has above average WoM, good multiple from OW and even OD multiple from presales.

Despite the crap chinese title of "Hero Thief Number One: Star Wars outside story", i think it did extremely well.

Disney did not even put much effort for the mkting and premiere of Rogue One, unlike TFA and TLJ. They got complacent with Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, especially the former in a huge spotlight role.

I think it did not perform up to everyone's expectations, but i don't think it flopped. If you know what Disney movies and roles..Disney is contacting Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen to do now...you will know what i mean.

I think the issue is TLJ is pretending to be much smarter than it actually is but once you think about it more than 5 seconds, you end up finding a lot of dumb shit that makes no sense, which is fine if the movie just presented itself as a fun popcorn flick instead of some kind of ~edgy~ cinema.

15 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I think the issue is TLJ is pretending to be much smarter than it actually is but once you think about it more than 5 seconds, you end up finding a lot of dumb shit that makes no sense, which is fine if the movie just presented itself as a fun popcorn flick instead of some kind of ~edgy~ cinema.

Who and most importantly how did present TLJ as an edgy cinema? 

Cause i have always felt that SW movies are exactly that, an expensive popcorn flick, with a rather interesting storyline and very good visuals. Not a 14 academy awards potential winner. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro

54 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Eh, RO has above average WoM, good multiple from OW and even OD multiple from presales.

Despite the crap chinese title of "Hero Thief Number One: Star Wars outside story", i think it did extremely well.

Disney did not even put much effort for the mkting and premiere of Rogue One, unlike TFA and TLJ. They got complacent with Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, especially the former in a huge spotlight role.

I think it did not perform up to everyone's expectations, but i don't think it flopped. If you know what Disney movies and roles..Disney is contacting Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen to do now...you will know what i mean.

Ah, OK. Thanks for explaining. :)

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

How is the WOM for Jumanji so far?

Very slightly above average. Maoyan score is 8.6/10.. average films is around 8/10.

Just for comparison.

9.0-9.1 is considered above average/solid

9.5 and above means pretty incredible

Coco is at 9.6.

Dangal was 9.8 if i rmb correctly.

xXx was at 9.0-9.1

TLJ around 7.6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

hearing unconfirmed news that Disney US headquarters wanna see Ex-File 3 to know how it beat Star Wars.

(curious whether Disney still believe TLJ could have done well and Ex-File is the reason TLJ flop in China)

that doesn't even work as a joke ... trolling has become so tiring lately these days in this forum ... 

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

hearing unconfirmed news that Disney US headquarters wanna see Ex-File 3 to know how it beat Star Wars.

(curious whether Disney still believe TLJ could have done well and Ex-File is the reason TLJ flop in China)

They shud be watching Jumanji, which beat SW in many Asian territories. Haha

2 minutes ago, Saurabh said:

Maoyan is now predicting Young Forever to top this friday. Yesterday they were predicting Secret Superstar to top and today YF.

Wonder seems to be lagging behind Secret Superstar at the moment.

If Secret Superstar and Wonder's WoM in China are good, you don't have to worry about OD, because they will have great legs and can even have the 1st Sunday bigger than Saturday.

BTW, I read from some sources that Secret Superstar kinda flopped in India. Is that true?

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

If Secret Superstar and Wonder's WoM in China are good, you don't have to worry about OD, because they will have great legs and can even have the 1st Sunday bigger than Saturday.

BTW, I read from some sources that Secret Superstar kinda flopped in India. Is that true?

It did quite well for a small movie. It was not a big blockbuster release but got headlines since it was produced by Aamir Khan as well as playing a minor role in it. It is a decent movie.

23 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not flopped since it is a low budgeted but certainly didn't grossed much.It did 12.9M$ in India.Through critically it was well appreciated.It has a very niche genre in accordance with India and Aamir is just in a cameo role.

28 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Young Forever is having an extraordinary run.I doubt Sunday wld be more than Saturday for Secret Superstar and Wonder.

5 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

that doesn't even work as a joke ... trolling has become so tiring lately these days in this forum ... 

What? Gavin had a source and shared it. That makes him be trolling just because you didn't believe it? You think HLW studios are pretentious celestial beings sitting up in the air, caring little about the performance of their movies in an important maket?

It's normal for HLW studios to watch the latest huge breakouts in China, for the sake of understanding the trends of the world's second biggest film market. I know that The Monkey King, Monster Hunt, Mermaid, Wolf Warriors 2 are among the titles widely reviewed by HLW studios. Not only that, many filmmakers pay close attention to the worldwide performance of their movies. Often they even want to know why some markets overperform, and others underperform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1