A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Ferdinand with a 9.3 rating.  That could make for an interesting run.

Lets see if it bumps 150-200% tomorrow and holds flat sunday, PS at 5m already.  Could be 500-700m if wom spreads

Padd2 had a 9.2 rating but only bumped 60% on Saturday and finished with 206m.  Coco suppressed it I believe along with a bunch of other releases in its path

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 2

Issue with good films and release date is that.... How good a film is, is something "relative", not "absolute".

What I mean is this.

Ip Man 3 is considered a very solid, one of the best martial arts film of this decade, but it came out against Zootopia. And despite both having high Maoyan scores, on a relative basis, Zootopia was a better film, hence it went on to break records, while Ip Man 3's box office was slightly disappointing (rampant piracy was also an issue).

Same case as Guardians of the Galaxy 2 vs Dangal. Both have high maoyan scores, but Dangal was widely considered the better film.

One must understand that many Chinese audiences do not watch many movies, and often have to make a choice to pick a movie to watch each month (just an example).

Now if Wonder came out at another release date, it might be considered the Best Film of that period, with a 9.3 Maoyan score and go on to have a leggy run. But releasing along Secret Superstar, many are saying that due to the higher maoyan score, SS is the better film and many will probably watch that film if they can only pick a film this weekend. 

Therefore release date is important, not just whether there are any holidays, but the the importance of relative competition... how well other films are being received by the audiences.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Friday numbers?

Jumanji dropped 83% from last friday. 

SS $7.53M / $7.62M

FY $5.02M / $49.57M

Nest $3.72M / $3.78M

A Better Tomorrow 2018 $3.39M / $4.98M

Wonder $2.82M / $2.89M

J $1.98M / $60.49M

Ferdinand $1.56M / $1.63M

Ex-File $1.25M / $288.43M

TLJ $0.26M / $40.49M

Jackle $0.12M / $0.13M

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Issue with good films and release date is that.... How good a film is, is something "relative", not "absolute".

What I mean is this.

Ip Man 3 is considered a very solid, one of the best martial arts film of this decade, but it came out against Zootopia. And despite both having high Maoyan scores, on a relative basis, Zootopia was a better film, hence it went on to break records, while Ip Man 3's box office was slightly disappointing (rampant piracy was also an issue).

Same case as Guardians of the Galaxy 2 vs Dangal. Both have high maoyan scores, but Dangal was widely considered the better film.

One must understand that many Chinese audiences do not watch many movies, and often have to make a choice to pick a movie to watch each month (just an example).

Now if Wonder came out at another release date, it might be considered the Best Film of that period, with a 9.3 Maoyan score and go on to have a leggy run. But releasing along Secret Superstar, many are saying that due to the higher maoyan score, SS is the better film and many will probably watch that film if they can only pick a film this weekend. 

Therefore release date is important, not just whether there are any holidays, but the the importance of relative competition... how well other films are being received by the audiences.

Thats very true. that's why choosing release date is the most important thing in film distribution.

23 hours ago, POTUS said:

Ferdinand with a 9.3 rating.  That could make for an interesting run.

Lets see if it bumps 150-200% tomorrow and holds flat sunday, PS at 5m already.  Could be 500-700m if wom spreads

Padd2 had a 9.2 rating but only bumped 60% on Saturday and finished with 206m.  Coco suppressed it I believe along with a bunch of other releases in its path

Ferdinand increasing nearly 200% on Sat during winter break, unheard of. Phenomena.

• Like 3

Secret Superstar it seems is having a great wom as total today wld be close to 9.75M$ but Young Forever is hurting it to do much more.In return YF is also getting hurt by tremendous wom of SS.

25-26M$ weekend and 75M$ LT for Secret Superstar i guess.

Saturday est with service fees

Secret Superstar 67M/111M +56%

Forever Young 62.5m/381.7M +90%

Ferdinand 26.1m/35.65m +187%

Wonder  20.9M/304M +30%

Jumanji 19.8m/408.5m +56%

Ex-file 3 12.8m/1866m +54%

Nest 11.4m/32.4m -45%

The Last Jedi 2.4m/262m

• Like 5

2 hours ago, POTUS said:

Ferdinand going to bump today. looks like it could be a half-sized Coco.

Maze 3 is the only large opener next week. Fer will keep a lot of shows.  If it holds better than average tomorrow(60-70%) and flat or up on Tuesday it'll try for 640m/$100m 

Don't think it wld go that high as YF and SS are having a great wom too in addition to the Maze runner opening next week.

Sunday est inclu. service fees
Secret Superstar 63.3M/174.5M -6%
Forever Young 55.5m/437.2M -11%
Ferdinand 24.1m/59.86m -8%
Wonder  17.35M/54.76M  -17%
Jumanji 16.85m/425.3m -14%
Ex-file 3 11.2m/1878m -12%
The Last Jedi 1.8m/264m

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

Looks like China might save Ferdinand from being a flop. I hope it does cause I quite liked it. 

Me too I loved it. But I think it comes more to the timing of film release than anything else. Ferdinand was always the "other movie". The other movie released besides Star wars, the other animation movie besides Coco, The other family movie besides Jumanji. I think if they released it in some other time and it had some distance between coco, it would have done a way better business.

But I think comparing to its opening week and competition, It has done quiet well. It will surpass the peanuts movie and epic worldwide. 

32 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why is a movie making $40m total in China getting an exclusive 2/3 week IMAX deal?

because IMAX company sucks:hahaha:

The deal caused Jumanji losing IMAX showtimes. And the biggest cinema chain Wanda offered IMAX showtimes to non-IMAX movie A Better Tomorrow 2018 from Jan.18 to Jan.25(Then Maze Runner will take that away).

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

Looks like China might save Ferdinand from being a flop. I hope it does cause I quite liked it. 

Ferdi is ~$43m away from doing 2.5x it's $111m prod budget globally (current cume is $235m). Thanks to China it will get there. I don't know what other markets it has open or how early it is into some of the markets but 300m could happen too (Dom will bring <5m at this point).