A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Ravi said:

how do you consider Secret Superstar run in China? Its doing ok or trending excellent? WOM wise.

It fell just 30% this weekend, its 2nd weekend, which is a very good fall. No big movie is opening this coming weekend, but there are several which may take screens away from it. Still It should not fall a lot. It also has a very high rating of 9.5 which will help its legs. 

• Like 1

Tuesday:

Secret Superstar - 20.64m (up 3.5% from Monday)

Maze Runner 3 - 17.1m (down 6.25% from Monday)

Great run from SS. I wonder how high it can go. I think it can cross 100m USD. If it does cross $100m it would have grossed over 7 times what it grossed in India (its domestic market).

I wonder if there has ever been a case where a movie grossed so much more in a foreign market compared to its domestic market. Aamir Khan should make his next movie a joint Chinese production with some chinese actors and partially set in China :D

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Tuesday:

Great run from SS. I wonder how high it can go. I think it can cross 100m USD. If it does cross $100m it would have grossed over 7 times what it grossed in India (its domestic market).

I wonder if there has ever been a case where a movie grossed so much more in a foreign market compared to its domestic market. Aamir Khan should make his next movie a joint Chinese production with some chinese actors and partially set in China :D

Last year, Contratiempo (The invisible guest), Spanish film, grossed $25.9m in China and $3.89m in Spain, which means:

China = 6.66 x Spain

Contratiempo in BOM

If SS delivers the x7, it will beat this. I do not know any other bigger case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I wonder if there has ever been a case where a movie grossed so much more in a foreign market compared to its domestic market.

Not sure if it is fair to call resident Evil a domestic US movie (instead of Japan ?) but that one that came close:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $26,830,068    8.6%
Foreign:  $285,412,558    91.4%

Worldwide:  $312,242,626  

China Sony 2/24/17 $94,335,503 59.1% $159,548,686 3/19/17

It did I imagine around 24m-24.5m in the US (dometic is US + canada), that was a 6.6 or so multi.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I wonder if there has ever been a case where a movie grossed so much more in a foreign market compared to its domestic market.

29 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure if it is fair to call resident Evil a domestic US movie (instead of Japan ?) but that one that came close:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $26,830,068    8.6%
Foreign:  $285,412,558    91.4%

Worldwide:  $312,242,626  

China Sony 2/24/17 $94,335,503 59.1% $159,548,686 3/19/17

It did I imagine around 24m-24.5m in the US (dometic is US + canada), that was a 6.6 or so multi.

Warcraft's OS was 8.16x Dom and China was 4.51x Dom.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $47,365,290    10.9%
Foreign:  $386,311,893    89.1%

Worldwide:  $433,677,183  

China HuaXia 6/8/16 $65,141,191 30.5% $213,541,452 4/30/17

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Tuesday:

36 minutes ago, peludo said:

Last year, Contratiempo (The invisible guest), Spanish film, grossed $25.9m in China and $3.89m in Spain, which means:

China = 6.66 x Spain

Contratiempo in BOM

If SS delivers the x7, it will beat this. I do not know any other bigger case.

Some Almodovar films make more in France than in Spain. but not in those big percentages. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Some Almodovar films make more in France than in Spain. but not in those big percentages. 

Sure. And I think that the same happens with some Woody Allen's films. There are 2 or 3 of them which grossed more in some European countries than in US. But of course, by a couple of million, not by x7...

15 minutes ago, peludo said:

Sure. And I think that the same happens with some Woody Allen's films. There are 2 or 3 of them which grossed more in some European countries than in US. But of course, by a couple of million, not by x7...

This is like the most far flung edge case ever thanks to Weinstein. Amityville The Awakening earned 742$ in the US and made 1.5M in Russia. That is 2000x more in Russia compared to domestic for the movie. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=amityvillehorror12.htm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Tuesday:

SS already has some Chinese investments.

• Like 1

(This is totally off topic)

I was reading a news about Jim Caviezel, and he stated that Mel Gibson is already working on the sequel for The Passion of The Christ, with Caviezel starring as Christ again. And checking on boxofficemojo data, i came to see to my biggest surprise that this movie got released in China. 

How a movie like that made it through the censorship government?

Will that second part make it too nowadays?  

3 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

(This is totally off topic)

I was reading a news about Jim Caviezel, and he stated that Mel Gibson is already working on the sequel for The Passion of The Christ, with Caviezel starring as Christ again. And checking on boxofficemojo data, i came to see to my biggest surprise that this movie got released in China. 

How a movie like that made it through the censorship government?

Will that second part make it too nowadays?  

different time era. Ever since Da Vinci Code, no film related to religions can pass the censorship. So no The Passion of The Christ 2 in China.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, firedeep said:

different time era. Ever since Da Vinci Code, no film related to religions can pass the censorship. So no The Passion of The Christ 2 in China.

But what about Hacksaw Ridge which enjoyed a great success in China it was a religious movie.