A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

8 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

So Infinity War is the red line? Over 250% higher with 23 days left :ohmygod:

I think that was the daily increase in "want to see's" so it's more like EG is over 250% over IW daily increase

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I think that was the daily increase in "want to see's" so it's more like EG is over 250% over IW daily increase

The 533 for Endgame vs 152 for IW looks like cumulative sales 23 days out to me.   

Edit: Nope, see below.

Edited by Thanos Legion

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The 533 for Endgame vs 152 for IW looks like cumulative sales 23 days out to me.

That's the daily increase of both movies. If you look carefully , Endgame's number is 53k while IW number is 15.6k. Not 533k and 152k which you might see ( I just analyze that since you thought that number are the total ). Still over 3x more increase than IW so still excellent. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Edit: Nope, see below.

I didn't need to check below to know that ;) 😛 

I was checking Maoyan App, and found what I suspected long back that studios get 25% of gross after deduction of ticket booking cost and tax (GST/VAT) which comes to 22.93% of Gross without ticket booking cost.

For Infinity War, Disney got ¥513mn ($80.7mn) out of ¥2390mn ($376mn) gross i.e. 21.4%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I was checking Maoyan App, and found what I suspected long back that studios get 25% of gross after deduction of ticket booking cost and tax (GST/VAT) which comes to 22.93% of Gross without ticket booking cost.

For Infinity War, Disney got ¥513mn ($80.7mn) out of ¥2390mn ($376mn) gross i.e. 21.4%.

How did you find that? Is it there in app?

37 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

IMG-20190402-085940.jpg

Interesting, IW Maoyan score is up to 9 now. When it opened it was in the low 8s, it definitely got bombed by low grades in the beginning. I can't wait for EG presales to begin!!!

2 hours ago, druv10 said:

Interesting, IW Maoyan score is up to 9 now. When it opened it was in the low 8s, it definitely got bombed by low grades in the beginning. I can't wait for EG presales to begin!!!

Yeah. It was affected by the negative sentiments of some Chinese bec of the trade war.

21 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

That's a lot lower than other countries right? 

Very. In the US, Disney gets 65% of the ticket sales for SW and Avengers movies. But that's just Disney though. Other studios get the standard 50%. Disney has mastered the art of "bullying" theaters, and the theater owners have no other option than to cave. After all, the theaters's 35% of $600M+ domestic is still greater than the alternatives.

Edited by UserHN

38 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

That's a lot lower than other countries right? 

Yes. India the ratio for Hollywood films is now 38-42% approx. It was 35-39% before 1st January 2019 and 32-35% before 1st July 2017 due to higher tax rates, which are reduced now.

Local films will be slightly better as they do better in Single Screens and Tier 2-3 cities.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yes. India the ratio for Hollywood films is now 38-42% approx. It was 35-39% before 1st January 2019 and 32-35% before 1st July 2017 due to higher tax rates, which are reduced now.

Local films will be slightly better as they do better in Single Screens and Tier 2-3 cities.

Question for you.. 

Now that Disney has acquired Fox Star Studios. They can distribute their movie through that studio. So will they get the tax break like Indian distributors i.e like Fox Star Studios normal movie or Like a Hollywood movie. 

33 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Question for you.. 

Now that Disney has acquired Fox Star Studios. They can distribute their movie through that studio. So will they get the tax break like Indian distributors i.e like Fox Star Studios normal movie or Like a Hollywood movie. 

No one gets any tax breaks. Who said that to you.

The Indirect Tax system in India changed in July 2017. Before that Entertainment tax was 35-40% on Nett, while its 18% now.

35 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Question for you.. 

Didn't Disney use to distribute local films in India? They just stopped because of BO uncertainties. If I remember it correctly, Disney is the local distributor for the successful film Dangal.