A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Have talk with people in Disney China. Midnights as usual...Disney have no right to decide if they can arrange it or not. 

when we will know if it will have midnights ?

Edited by john2000

13 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Have talk with people in Disney China. Midnights as usual...Disney have no right to decide if they can arrange it or not. 

How's the marketing for Endgame in China? I've had some Chinese friends say that Disney botched the IW marketing there especially in the rural and semi-urban regions. Going by Weibo, there's a ton of anticipation but I wonder if this is an urban phenomenon. Rural crowd is what usually gives a movie long legs.

14 minutes ago, john2000 said:

when we will know if it will have midnights ?

When release license come, we will know. But at this point, midnights plan is confirmed. A import film recently want to cancel it for itself, but China Film Group refused the request.

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

When release license come, we will know. But at this point, midnights plan is confirmed. A import film recently want to cancel it for itself, but China Film Group refused the request.

thanks for the answer :) hope they are doing great marketing this time

6 minutes ago, rishijoesanu said:

How's the marketing for Endgame in China? I've had some Chinese friends say that Disney botched the IW marketing there especially in the rural and semi-urban regions. Going by Weibo, there's a ton of anticipation but I wonder if this is an urban phenomenon. Rural crowd is what usually gives a movie long legs.

Last year they tried to have more attention of people lived in 3rd & 4th tier cities, town, but their methods didn’t work because they underestimated the enthusiasm of fans in big cities and made them angry by weird marketing strategies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Last year they tried to have more attention of people lived in 3rd & 4th tier cities, town, but their methods didn’t work because they underestimated the enthusiasm of fans in big cities and made them angry by weird marketing strategies.

Do you think they've done better this year or hitting the right demographics? 

19 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Do you think they've done better this year or hitting the right demographics? 

At least right now, this time is better than what they did last year. I’m not sure if they found the right way to attract more audience from countryside, but things don't get mistake at this moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

At least right now, this time is better than what they did last year. I’m not sure if they found the right way to attract more audience from countryside, but things don't get mistake at this moment.

Do they have any local partners or is Disney trying to build the base themselves 

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Do they have any local partners or is Disney trying to build the base themselves 

Disney don’t enjoy to find a local partner like what other studios always did, so their marketing are always the weakest though the budget is very high. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Yes. Disney never uses any local helper or co-financer.  It is the only studio in the world who always 100% fully creative control, finance and marketing every one of their own films.

Any OW / total predictions for China? How are you feeling about the Endgame hype?

Should have opened on May day for record opening. 24th is a normal weekday right. What is the most it could do. Would Endgame lead to people taking off at work/skipping school to see it OD?

Mostly midnights should be record breaking( ~ 70m). But I have no clue how to extrapolate a normal week. But overall gross should hit 3B+(I would say RMB equivalent of $500m).

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Should have opened on May day for record opening. 24th is a normal weekday right. What is the most it could do. Would Endgame lead to people taking off at work/skipping school to see it OD?

Mostly midnights should be record breaking( ~ 70m). But I have no clue how to extrapolate a normal week. But overall gross should hit 3B+(I would say RMB equivalent of $500m).

$500m in China would be a bigger achievement, in my opinion, than a $300m opening weekend domestically.

If Endgame can beat IW by $50m (about $425m); I’d be very pleased.

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

Yes. Disney never uses any local helper or co-financer.  It is the only studio in the world who always 100% fully creative control, finance and marketing every one of their own films.

Yeah. I've read about that too. I think it's along the line of "we don't want to share our profits". Curious to see how they handle 20th Century Fox, where many producers are in a first-look deal (and therefore profit-sharing).