A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Shazam starts with a 7.3 on douban. It is still early so ratings can go up or down but it wont change too much.

Douban ratings of some other movies:-

Infinity War - 8.1

Aquaman - 7.7

Thor Ragnarok - 7.4

Ant Man 2 - 7.3

Shazam - 7.3

Venom - 7.2

Bumblebee - 7.1

Wonder Woman - 7.1

Captain Marvel - 7.0

Batman v Superman - 6.7

Justice League - 6.5

Looking at this it seems not too good but not too bad either. But as I said above its an early rating that will change. And Maoyan ratings, which will come tomorrow, are far more indicative of reception and legs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maoyan score starts at 7.8 for SHAZAM

One of the top negative reviews said that the movie should be released on Children’s Day. Not before Avengers: End Game. 

We know which brand’s fan this is... lol

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 10
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

One of the top negative reviews said that the movie should be released on Children’s Day. Not before Avengers: End Game. 

Not really surprising considering most of the overseas reactions we’ve seen so far. Disappointing though for sure. Thanks for the update.

29 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Quite sad news, it looks like a lot of fun so I'm hoping for its success 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Not really surprising considering most of the overseas reactions we’ve seen so far. Disappointing though for sure. Thanks for the update.

This is the worst. I didn’t expect this. This is China straight up rejecting everything about this movie 

10 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

7.8 on Maoyan indicates terrible WOM among GA. Will mean a very quick collapse for Shazam and probably not much higher than 1.5x multiplier. 

I think marvel fans and many fans of other films opening are gunning for its downfall to be honest.

8.6% of audiences giving it below 2 (out of 10points), something is wrong. It is not that divisive. 

other films have at most around 3% of such scores, other than those really divisive films or artistic films.

PS: you don’t actually need to buy tickets to give reviews.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

18 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I think marvel fans and many fans of other films opening are gunning for its downfall to be honest.

8.6% of audiences giving it below 2 (out of 10points), something is wrong. It is not that divisive. 

other films have at most around 3% of such scores, other than those really divisive films or artistic films.

I was under the impression you had to have proof that you watched the film to vote on Maoyan. Anyways China likes what China likes they certainly didn't care that Aquaman was a DC Film.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

LOL this is the first time I've seen a review use a movie's release date as a negative.

36 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

So why was Aquaman spared from this petty squabble between fanbases? 

Edited by druv10
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

This is the worst. I didn’t expect this. This is China straight up rejecting everything about this movie 

What can any of us do? Lol, I loved the movie, can’t make others love what I loved. You always have to respect others opinions. It’s not like China didn’t just go crazy for Aquaman, so it’s not a DC thing. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

LOL this is the first time I've seen a review use a movie's release date as a negative.

In Korea, they call the movie childish. Maybe this comment has the same sentiment. Doesn't really matter when it is being released.