A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

This is so depressing for Shazam. After the huge breakout of Aquaman, I was optimistic for future DC films in China. Before presales started, I really thought Shazam would break the usual solo CBM ceiling again like Venom, Aquaman, and Captain Marvel. Even $150 million didn't seem ridiculous at one point considering the very positive early reactions in the U.S. 

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

This is so depressing for Shazam. After the huge breakout of Aquaman, I was optimistic for future DC films in China. Before presales started, I really thought Shazam would break the usual solo CBM ceiling again like Venom, Aquaman, and Captain Marvel. Even $150 million didn't seem ridiculous at one point considering the very positive early reactions in the U.S. 

Massive spectacle versus almost none. Now that I think about it Venom was heavy on the spectacle.

Movie was great!!! Easily the best in the DCEU.

I can see why it's not working in China, though.

Spoiler

Bad guy is possessed by dark entities. 

China doesn't like that. It's surprising that this movie even got released there. Suicide Squad didn't get released because of Enchantress (

Spoiler

who was also a character possessed by a dark entity

). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boyamama said:

wait R-rated movie can't enter china ???

I doubt the Chinese government care about the MPAA ratings that much (if at all).

They often get released from The Revenants, Blader Runner 2049, Elysium, Logan to Kingsman...

I imagine the studios would have not burned a slot for most of the R movie that are not released even if they would made the PG-13 cut in the US.

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

I doubt the Chinese government care about the MPAA ratings that much (if at all).

They often get released from The Revenants, Blader Runner 2049, Elysium, Logan to Kingsman...

I imagine the studios would have not burned a slot for most of the R movie that are not released even if they would made the PG-13 cut in the US.

i think so too..i remember suicide squad failed arrived in china,cause that samurai girl character katana/kitana........

56 minutes ago, boyamama said:

i think so too..i remember suicide squad failed arrived in china,cause that samurai girl character katana/kitana........

It didn't pass censorship because the subject matter contained possession/evil spirits among other things deemed unsuitable for general audiences.

A source familiar with the matter told Business Insider that because of China's censorship of stories with a negative outlook on life, it has passed on including the movie in its upcoming releases. It doesn't help that the movie also has a supernatural aspect, another no-no by the standards of the China Film Co., the state-owned body responsible for the importing and releasing of foreign films in the country.

https://www.businessinsider.com/suicide-squad-likely-banned-in-china-global-box-office-2016-8

Edited by KP1025

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

Katana had nothing to do with Suicide Squad not being released in China. It didn't pass censorship because the subject matter contained possession/evil spirits among other things deemed unsuitable for general audiences.

https://www.businessinsider.com/suicide-squad-likely-banned-in-china-global-box-office-2016-8

That article doesn't confirm anything. 

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Wrong time for Suicide Squad. If this is a film from 2017 or later, a Chinese date is not going to be a problem.

Gavin will China ever allow LGBT lead movie? Marvel is planning one. 

14 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Mostly no. 

yeah but this wouldnt be a problem if they dont show anything related to that no ? and they can always cut the parts if the movie has one to begin with

Edited by john2000