A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

27 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

Just found this question on reddit of BoxOffice, someone can answer this? 

3m3ji7k7dkx21.png

In reality I don’t think there is actually any exchange of yuans to dollars happening. Disney simply invests yuans in China in amusement parks, ads and stuff

7 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Let’s hope for at least 2 multi. It has better score than shazam and still lot of fake 1-2 reviews

80 seems possible I guess but with a a terrible initial weekend I could see them dropping screens hard. Maybe it will surprise and hold well on Sunday/Monday 

2 hours ago, JimiQ said:

In reality I don’t think there is actually any exchange of yuans to dollars happening. Disney simply invests yuans in China in amusement parks, ads and stuff

Exactly. It's all about accounting on paper. Big international companies dont move money around as much.

In reality, no one really knows how (/at what time terms) box office of Big Six are paid.

Only one thing is confirmed: officially numbers is what studios report to media outlets.

2 hours ago, JimiQ said:

Non-working usual sunday. I think that means drop of 30%?

It bumped 50% after all like a family film should. The PSm has never increased 50% like that, Maoyan needs to be figured out again

Since its playing younger a 20-25% sunday drop is in line

275m/$40m OW

EG with a 100% bump as expected. 27% drop tomorrow

125m/18.3m 3rd weekend $610m total

• Like 5
  • Astonished 3

1 hour ago, youcantseemyname said:

EG is overperforming this late in China. What a twist!

Detective Pikachu being very weak helped. Theatres also did not allocate a lot of show times to DP, rightly anticipating perhaps the low gross. 

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

80 seems possible I guess but with a a terrible initial weekend I could see them dropping screens hard. Maybe it will surprise and hold well on Sunday/Monday 

If I am not wrong there is hardly any significant new competition coming up in the next 2 weeks. The only major one, Godzilla 2, comes after 3 weeks. That should be time enough to achieve a 2x multi if the WoM is decent. Even Rampage, with relatively weak ratings, got a 2x. 

3 hours ago, danhtruong5 said:

Just found this question on reddit of BoxOffice, someone can answer this? 

3m3ji7k7dkx21.png

There are hedging contracts and yeah the local body of studio keep the money and may exchange/transfer when favourable.

Also, what happens in India, that you don't get money from multiplex chains every single day. The money is usually received after span of time, monthly, quarterly as you may have multiple films in that period combined.

• Like 1