Jump to content
A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread (2019 the worst year for HLW)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

What a boring times on CBO. Hopefully Spirited Away break out. Day one pre-sales are ok but day 2 is barely 30% ahead TS4.

And nearly tied on Sunday.

 

I can not remember other cases, but are presales so important in China for animated films? I guess they give signals about its possible run, but I do not think they are so definitive as other fan-driven genres like SH or other well known franchises. Or am I wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, peludo said:

And nearly tied on Sunday.

 

I can not remember other cases, but are presales so important in China for animated films? I guess they give signals about its possible run, but I do not think they are so definitive as other fan-driven genres like SH or other well known franchises. Or am I wrong?

Reason for SA frontloaded is because the audience already have watched it and its fan wanna catch it ASAP. So day one rush is more. That's typically case with re-releases or expansion.

 

If GA liked it, will get normal trending from day 2 otherwise crash.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a2k said:

Wow. If it hits 6 on Thu too then am hopeful for a 15 weekend.

3.25 (-46%)

6.50 (+100%)

5.25 (-19%)

= 15.0

What do those figures translate to in US$? Also, What final gross can we expect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teaser trailer of Wu Jing's new film. The budget is soaring beyond the original price. I heard $350M box office is where it shall hit break-even point.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Teaser trailer of Wu Jing's new film. The budget is soaring beyond the original price. I heard $350M box office is where it shall hit break-even point.

 

 

 

With that cast tho they can go over budget with no concern. Wu Jing AND Jackie Chan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, a2k said:

Wow. If it hits 6 on Thu too then am hopeful for a 15 weekend.

3.25 (-46%)

6.50 (+100%)

5.25 (-19%)

= 15.0

If screen count increases the same way it did last weekend why not more on Sat and Sunday?

Screens are the most important thing for it right now until FFH opens. Then its DOA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WP Kelley said:

What do those figures translate to in US$? Also, What final gross can we expect?

2.2 mill $

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Teaser trailer of Wu Jing's new film. The budget is soaring beyond the original price. I heard $350M box office is where it shall hit break-even point.

 

 

 

oooh. looks good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Teaser trailer of Wu Jing's new film. The budget is soaring beyond the original price. I heard $350M box office is where it shall hit break-even point.

 

 

 

Looks impressive ...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, syntaxerror said:

With that cast tho they can go over budget with no concern. Wu Jing AND Jackie Chan?

no Jackie Chan

7 hours ago, jj99 said:

oooh. looks good

 

6 hours ago, Sunny Max said:

Looks impressive ...

this is a propaganda film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

¥165-230mn weekend for Toy Story 4 IMO, depending on word of mouth.

35-40

70-90

60-100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

¥165-230mn weekend for Toy Story 4 IMO, depending on word of mouth.

35-40

70-90

60-100

that's big opening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, firedeep said:

that's big opening

Yeah, pre-sales are such, and most likely the number will be lower limit going by Pixar record in China. The latter is for something like Coco happen.

 

That said, TS3 did ¥117mn in 2010, that's around ¥350-400mn in today's business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

¥165-230mn weekend for Toy Story 4 IMO, depending on word of mouth.

35-40

70-90

60-100

Needs 9,5-9,6+ on maoyan to have a chance on high numbers IMO.

I expect less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could the new Endgame cut hit theaters i China?

I did`ent understand why they was`ent able to get extension whent it felt like there was so much more to get

 

@Olive , @Gavin Feng @firedeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Needs 9,5-9,6+ on maoyan to have a chance on high numbers IMO.

I expect less

Yeah, what I was trying to say was that these films (low openers) are sorta unpredictable except opening day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Could the new Endgame cut hit theaters i China?

I did`ent understand why they was`ent able to get extension whent it felt like there was so much more to get

 

@Olive , @Gavin Feng @firedeep

Trade war

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think re-releases are prohibited in China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fmpro said:

Could the new Endgame cut hit theaters i China?

I did`ent understand why they was`ent able to get extension whent it felt like there was so much more to get

 

@Olive , @Gavin Feng @firedeep

no chance

 

Film Bureau was cruel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for 12th July so that CBO could become interesting again :sparta:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.