A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Titanic was pretty unique, though. I know people in China who rarely see movies, let alone foreign movies, who for some reason have seen Titanic. Even if it didn't make a ton in theaters there because there weren't enough of them, everyone pirated the shit out of it.

Nothing will never match what Titanic did.

50 minutes ago, peludo said:

Nothing will never match what Titanic did.

You're right. I was told that after seeing Titanic, many Chinese just assumed that white people like to do whatever white people were doing in Titanic. It created an indelible impression that still lingers.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

Spot On .... can we count Avatar as well ... ??? 

Avatar, being abnormaly huge, it is a step behind than the little boat. Titanic sold about 50 million admissions more than Avatar just domestically.

And since we are in Chinese thread, I still find hard to believe the $43m figure in China of 1998 when the market was a joke compared with today...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=titanic.htm

It is not even among my top 100 favourite films, but it is, by far, the most impressive run I have ever seen. Nothing comes close to it.

Edited by peludo

12 minutes ago, peludo said:

Avatar, being abnormaly huge, it is a step behind than the little boat. Titanic sold about 50 million admissions more than Avatar just domestically.

And since we are in Chinese thread, I still find hard to believe the $43m figure in China of 1998 when the market was a joke compared with today...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=titanic.htm

It is not even among my top 100 favourite films, but it is, by far, the most impressive run I have ever seen. Nothing comes close to it.

Actually for all of us .. this is the best box office run we have ever seen ... for me Avatar's run is the best 2nd in past 25 years .. (AEG being close)

• Like 4

Something that I read on a different website made me wonder something about the Avengers: Endgame re-release. Is it possible that Endgame didn’t get a re-release back then because they knew that they’d to re-release it before Far From Home too?

I know the chances are close to 0, since these type of things are announced far in advance in China, but since the re-release hasn’t been officially announce yet, I wonder if there is any chance for Endgame returning in China as well. Is Dark Phoenix still playing in China?

7 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Titanic was pretty unique, though. I know people in China who rarely see movies, let alone foreign movies, who for some reason have seen Titanic. Even if it didn't make a ton in theaters there because there weren't enough of them, everyone pirated the shit out of it.

At some point, I was under the impression that every human being alive has seen "Titanic".

Edited by NCsoft

3 hours ago, peludo said:

In terms of China gross, I would argue that Avatar is just as impressive as Titanic, if not more so. Considering how Avatar was able to triple the previous record, if I remember correctly, Titanic did about 2.X times previous record, not quite tripling it, Avatar did it in a bigger and more competitive market as well. 

As for Domestic and Europe, Titanic beats Avatar handily no question, most of rest of the world as well. 

Edited by NCsoft

If TS4 wasn't competing with Spirited Away this weekend (which has even higher ratings) and FFH next weekend, I think it could have had a big breakout. Of course, anything over $50 million would still be good by Pixar standards.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

For Spirited Away I will wait for general audience reaction because the initial reactions were all fans who have loved film for so many years.

Even on Douban, Spirited Away has a 9.3 score after receiving over 1 million user ratings.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah that's what I am saying. The film has already been watched. A lot by so many people.

Will they watch it again by spending money. That's the thing.

True, that is a good question. I think Spirited Away is one of those masterpieces that never gets old. I have watched it many times now, and I would gladly pay to see it in theaters if it ever re-releases. In any case, at least it will earn enough from China to take the title of highest grossing anime film back from Your Name. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

After Spidey are there big movies opening? it could pull a dangal which opened with Guardians 2 and kept on running towards a big gross. I am not hoping for 1B yuan but 400m would be good 🙂

Local pic Better Days is opening agianst Spidey.

FFH will break out (based on twitter reactions) but will be beaten by Better Days.

• Like 1