A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wowie, I wonder if it beat Your Name in terms of biggest Japanese movie worldwide.

According to Wikipedia, yes. Strangely, BOM has not updated the OS total of Spirited Away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=spiritedaway.htm

Very rough calculation of Spirited Away's gross (the USD amount for Japan is slightly too high according to Corpse).

Spirited Away gross:

• Japan – ¥30.8 billion[4] ($253,437,451)[5]
  • China – $66.35 million[6]
  • Outside of Japan and China – $41,368,351[7]
    • United States and Canada – $12,427,717 (30 October 2018)
    • South Korea – $11,382,770 (15 August 2002)
    • France – $6,326,294 (26 June 2002)
    • Other territories – $11,231,570

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Why was the release of Spirited Away so successful? Has that movie never been in Chinese theaters before?

Because it is an Oscar wining masterpiece that resonate in China for decades, from piracy to big screen 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Looking up with strong sunday presales. Flat og increase on the way?

FFH locked for 200 mill after a great sat increase IMO

Edited by fmpro
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Thanks, but I wanna know where it comes from.

I don't understand. Do you mean where the risk of it underperforming compared to the high expectations comes from? That's from it still being an American made version of a Chinese story. Will they be able to hit the right notes to appeal to the local audience?

Quite a few of the movies that have tried to walk the line of appealing to both American and Chinese markets in that way have failed and not worked in either market. Kung Fu Panda achieved it but historical action epic and cartoon comedy are two different things. 

Then there's also that Chinese audiences are so familiar with the story that it doesn't have as much fresh appeal. There was a Chinese version of Mulan about a decade ago that wasn't a smash hit so it's not a guarantee of success. If everyone knows the ending and plot how many times can you convince them to go and see it? That's where Disney's marketing has to come into play strongly. 

If you just mean what happens if it flops, then the answer is not much. None of the recent Disney remakes have turned into franchises. They are one off retellings that also help push sales of the original. If Mulan doesn't do well they will just move on to next one, it doesn't affect their plans for Little Mermaid etc and won't stop them trying to cater to the Chinese market again in the future. The potential for profits is simply too big. 

11 hours ago, GrandierHorror said:

Pure Spirit please take this conversation to fanboy thread. You are derailing the TLK decision. 

Also you are not funny at all. 

Anyone who stans for anything belongs forever in the fanboy thread. Ok 👍 also you meant “discussion” not “decision” I assume. Please be more careful, I expect high quality content here like what you usually post. Thanks.

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Because it is an Oscar wining masterpiece that resonate in China for decades, from piracy to big screen 

This. Spirited Away is a masterpiece. My second favorite movie of all time but maybe that belongs in the fanboy war thread? :rolleyes: Seriously though I’ve seen it maybe 6 times and it’s great every time. I watch it every 5 years or so and I get a different meaning from it each time as I get older. It is the Miyazaki film, his Mona Lisa, with The Wind Rises the only movie anywhere close in quality if only because it’s different enough... I dunno, I like all Miyazaki films but Spirited Away just towers above. Even The Wind Rises is a lot more “pedestrian” even if it’s my second favorite Miyazaki.

11 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I came for TLK and left because of the same sht i saw in other EG threads. 

Wow 4 whole extra posts you had to read, hang in there buddy.

11 hours ago, UserHN said:

'Doesn't recommend' is an understatement. Go back to your original comments about EG. Those are the words of someone full of spite for the movie.

Take this to the fanboy war thread, I haven’t said anything particularly negative about it here. Stop confusing what is said in fanboy wars with the rest of the threads, the movie is just a “not recommended” from me. Words like “hater” belong in the fanboy war thread. Hard to understand? 

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

9.4 on maoyan

Jesus, I liked FFH, but 9.4? Wowwwww. The MCU is like the world’s most impressive house of cards at this point, I’m just here to watch it go up and up until it inevitably crashes but maybe they end the MCU for artistic reasons to avoid that... ... 😂

Maybe Feige can keep this going another 10 years? What an incredible run. It’s like One Piece in its long running streak of quality, although I’d say it needs another 5 (ish) years of success to hit that point, I still find One Piece the most incredible world building artistic achievement of all time in televised media.

• Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Jesus, I liked FFH, but 9.4? Wowwwww. The MCU is like the world’s most impressive house of cards at this point, I’m just here to watch it go up and up until it inevitably crashes but maybe they end the MCU for artistic reasons to avoid that... ... 😂

Maybe Feige can keep this going another 10 years? What an incredible run. It’s like One Piece in its long running streak of quality, although I’d say it needs another 5 (ish) years of success to hit that point, I still find One Piece the most incredible world building artistic achievement of all time in televised media.

I think the 9.4 score is for the local movie "Looking Up".

FFH's score is 9.

• Like 2

143m - right at the top end of what I predicted yesterday. PS for Sunday is actually higher than today and will continue increasing over the next few hours. At minimum I think we should see almost flat, but an increase tomorrow I would think is more likely. 

Will easily clear 50m and with a strong chance of ending close to 55m and a solid 14x psm which is what the PS had indicated for last few days. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

143m - right at the top end of what I predicted yesterday. PS for Sunday is actually higher than today and will continue increasing over the next few hours. At minimum I think we should see almost flat, but an increase tomorrow I would think is more likely. 

Will easily clear 50m and with a strong chance of ending close to 55m and a solid 14x psm which is what the PS had indicated for last few days. 

Let's say it's 52.5m what's the likely finish? Maoyan is 9.0 right now. Seems fine