A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

13 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think one of the main reasons people don't go to cinema for him is that he seldom have A-level production. Fighting with My Family was scheduled to open on July 19th, but few people really knew about it even this have The Rock, and the distributor pushed it back.

Yes, I agree but that's why he is a B movie king.

Fighting with my family is not relevant because The Rock just has a cameo in that, he produced the movie but he's not the star. 

I still think if we go by official box office The Rock is a bigger star in China right now. We can't base their star power of pirated movies. San Andreas, Rampage, Skyscraper, Jumanji are all real signs compared to The Mechanic Resurrection and Meg. 

BUT I agree Statham will help, just not a big enough impact to reach 200. 

16 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Great summary for those who are unaware...

Anyway..Tony Leung is getting flamed extremely badly. Just weibo his name and almost everyone is scolding him and saying they will boycott this movie and his future movies. 

I have heard that Kevin Feige called a few big Chinese stars for the role but some apparently turned it down because of the sensitivity... I think Tony Leung took it because he did not expect such repercussions or is not sure if the background; I mean I honestly don’t think he was Marvel’s first choice as Leung’s English and vocabulary is very limited.

While Chinese netizens are loud, their ‘boycott’ may not really translate to actual diminishing returns at the box office.

7 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Wow. This feels like Marvel's first big mis step in China since their new cinematic universe. I still don't like all these online reactions when we don't know what they are going to do with the character. They are probably trying to redefine it and empower the character for a new generation. 

Of course we don't know if it will hurt box office long term, these negative articles are damaging short term for a new superhero franchise. 

I'm really curious how Marvel will react. 

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Shang-Qi could be the first Hollywood title to open on the first day of Chinese New Year for the first time. Blackout period will be less and less in the future.

I feel like Disney has to be pretty sure they’ll get that day in China or they wouldn’t have schedule it for then. Also, of course they’re not going to let the Mandarin or any of the iconography be racist or make China look bad. It’s gonna be awesome.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Shang-Qi could be the first Hollywood title to open on the first day of Chinese New Year for the first time. Blackout period will be less and less in the future.

Wow, what do you think it could make with that release date? 200M, 300M or more/less?

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

There are so many arguments about Shang-Qi in Chinese social media for the past 36 hours. I'm not going to talk about it specific. But some people, who are widely considered as nationalist, are angry with Shang-Qi because of The Mandarin & Fu Manchu. They are petitioning that Marvel should cut this role because the villain originally meant racist and would insult China no matter how Marvel revise the role in the film. Some already sent letters to SARFT for banning Shang-Qi(actually they sent it to the wrong address. Film Bureau now control films). 

To be fair, Shang-Qi is one of the most talked-about Hollywood film I've ever seen no matter positive or negative. Maybe only Endgame can compare with it(maybe already beyond EG).

Thanks for the insight. I imagine Marvel will do a lot of damage control about the old Mandarin and Fu Manchu. They’ll make the Chinese very proud I’m sure. They haven’t let us down yet, I don’t believe they will here.

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Thanks for the insight. I imagine Marvel will do a lot of damage control about the old Mandarin and Fu Manchu. They’ll make the Chinese very proud I’m sure. They haven’t let us down yet, I don’t believe they will here.

call me crazy but this could be huge in china if audience love it

ps i also think that eternal have big potential there

Edited by john2000

Just now, john2000 said:

call me crazy but this could be huge in china if audience love it

ps i also think that eternal have big potential there

That’s the opposite of crazy. If China loves it, of course it’ll be huge. Idk what’s possible but Gavin said it’s already getting Endgame level buzz, maybe even more.

11 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

There are so many arguments about Shang-Qi in Chinese social media for the past 36 hours. I'm not going to talk about it specific. But some people, who are widely considered as nationalist, are angry with Shang-Qi because of The Mandarin & Fu Manchu. They are petitioning that Marvel should cut this role because the villain originally meant racist and would insult China no matter how Marvel revise the role in the film. Some already sent letters to SARFT for banning Shang-Qi(actually they sent it to the wrong address. Film Bureau now control films). 

To be fair, Shang-Qi is one of the most talked-about Hollywood film I've ever seen no matter positive or negative. Maybe only Endgame can compare with it(maybe already beyond EG).

do you believe that it has big potential if they love it ?

Just now, VenomXXR said:

That’s the opposite of crazy. If China loves it, of course it’ll be huge. Idk what’s possible but Gavin said it’s already getting Endgame level buzz, maybe even more.

eternals also could be huge, based from what i know from the comics and after i saw the concept art i am very hopefull, marvel knows what they are doing

Buzz carries positive connotation. The discussion is heated, but mostly negative/divisive.

For Disney to be confident to put Shang-Chi in 2021 CNY slot, I am sure they have to submit the main storyline and characters description/development to Chinese Film Bureau to get approval. I can't imagine they take the risk of getting Shang-Chi  banned in the last minute in China.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, justvision said:

Buzz carries positive connotation. The discussion is heated, but mostly negative/divisive.

For Disney to be confident to put Shang-Chi in 2021 CNY slot, I am sure they have to submit the main storyline and characters description/development to Chinese Film Bureau to get approval. I can't imagine they take the risk of getting Shang-Chi  banned in the last minute in China.

Yea Disney isn’t stupid. They’re gonna make sure this is exactly what the Chinese government will approve and what the people will want. Still another 19 months until then, so I imagine the negativity will die off.

Yea Disney isn’t stupid. They’re gonna make sure this is exactly what the Chinese government will approve and what the people will want. Still another 19 months until then, so I imagine the negativity will die off.

i mean the story will be modernize,so while mandarin will be the villain and has his powers like in the comics, his motivation will be different thats what marvel does, they never do page by page their movies

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, justvision said:

They did this for DS. The ancient one also posed many problem but Disney handled it with care, now everyone is happy. Same will happen with Shang Chi. Justvision you are not a very positive guy?

Besides that background of Mandarin & Fu Manchu, many people also think that the mediocre looks (including small eyes, etc) of both actor Liu Simu and actress Awkwafina is a stereotype and racism on Chinese.

Edited by ymblcza
  • ...wtf 5

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Good to know, as usual it's crazy China gets such a superficial coverage from the trades. 

14 minutes ago, ymblcza said:

Besides that background of Mandarin & Fu Manchu, many people also think that the mediocre looks (including small eyes, etc) of both actor Liu Simu and actress Awkwafina is a stereotype and racism on Chinese.

dog what GIF by Nebraska Humane Society