A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

57 minutes ago, MeowwoeM said:

Heyyyy anyone knows what's up with Gavin? He locked his Twitter account 

Oh jeez.  I wasn't harsh on him. He said my over $400m projection with data backing it up was wrong with a wave of the hand.  I pointed out he has been wrong lately and quite frankly trolling at times with SW? doing $100m?

I'm not sure who is more sensitive Chinese or Indians.  I'm sure I'll get a response:D

Anyway, Slight bump for NZ, That locks a $100m+ midweek matching OW. 2nd weekend should also clear $100m.

$300-310m 10 day total on Sunday

$400m locked.  I still like $500m

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, a2k said:

Insane. CBO never ceases to throw a shocker. NZ gonna do close to 4x TLK.

I was so close to responding “maybe more like 5x.” And now...

10 minutes ago, Olive said:

maoyan updated Ne zha liftime forecast 4.19B

• Like 1

Yeah, that would be really huge, and Maoyan forecast is... not always reliable. Shouldn’t let it distract from 3B being great — but these weekdays have been really out there. Until it starts actually dropping there’s  a lot of uncertainty.

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, that would be really huge, and Maoyan forecast is... not always reliable. Shouldn’t let it distract from 3B being great — but these weekdays have been really out there. Until it starts actually dropping there’s  a lot of uncertainty.

The trouble with projecting too high on the current dailies is that demand burn can kick in any day.  WW2 looked like it was going pass SW7 domestic total and after 15 days of great holds it then normalized in one day (-15%) w/o warning.  $500m looks good.  Need to see this weekend and tuesday's hold to be confident with $600m

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

The trouble with projecting too high on the current dailies is that demand burn can kick in any day.  WW2 looked like it was going pass SW7 domestic total and after 15 days of great holds it then normalized in one day (-15%) w/o warning.  $500m looks good.  Need to see this weekend and tuesday's hold to be confident with $600m

Yeah, that’s exactly what I was trying to say, just put better 😛      

It’s part of that movie pattern where it drifts on for a bit being crazy, but that sort of thing has to come to an end eventually, and often does so abruptly — but trying to pick out in advance what day normalization will occur is a fool’s errand. We’ll just have to be patient, but the floor creeps up a bit each day without a sign of normalization.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peludo said:

I guess that Ne Zha's forecast will not be more trustable until we see The Bravest's real impact. The initial forecast for it is "just" 1.165b, but still with a 9.6 rate in Maoyan.

There are so many seats now two movies can be big at the same time.  I dont believe The Bravest overlaps the same demos as NZ's.  Maybe Gavin can shed light on that.

NZ PS down 10% from yesterday. Perhaps 170m for thur. A small bump on Friday gets it to 200m, possibly 300m on Sat.    I remember MH, Pancake man and TMK making 400m on a Saturday for the first time in 2015.  800m wouldnt be a problem today with the number of screens if TB blew up.

• Thanks 1

I am confident about ¥3.5B, more like ¥3.75B. ¥4Bn ain't out of the box, all it needs is two weekends great holds.

Edit: I was looking at ¥650-700mn 2nd weekend, if it actually hit ¥800mn, that will take total to ¥2.25Bn and makes ¥4Bn very doable for me.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1