A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

folks who have seen it said it will underperform in China. Strange that it is getting raving reviews on BOT.

I have watched it and I concur it is likely not going to do as big as some people expect in China. A lot of fun are from characters interaction and the jokes that depend on dialogue, which will be a big hindrance to audience in China. The action scenes in H&S are just average. I can think of a similar case in Jumanji: Into the Jungle, audience from English speaking world liked the movie for its fun, while audience in China were underwhelmed by its lack of great action scenes.

4 hours ago, firedeep said:

folks who have seen it said it will underperform in China. Strange that it is getting raving reviews on BOT.

Shanghai Sat PS 92% less than Fri.  What up with the frontload?

NZ will get a lot of shows back and bump big.

Could be F115m S 200m S 200m

325m midweek. 

4400m/$629m locked 

4700m/$671m feasible with 50% drops after this weekend

• Like 4

6 hours ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Shanghai Sat PS 92% less than Fri.  What up with the frontload?

NZ will get a lot of shows back and bump big.

Could be F115m S 200m S 200m

325m midweek. 

4400m/$629m locked 

4700m/$671m feasible with 50% drops after this weekend

fangirls driven shit movie, what can you expect

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, justvision said:

I have watched it and I concur it is likely not going to do as big as some people expect in China. A lot of fun are from characters interaction and the jokes that depend on dialogue, which will be a big hindrance to audience in China. The action scenes in H&S are just average. I can think of a similar case in Jumanji: Into the Jungle, audience from English speaking world liked the movie for its fun, while audience in China were underwhelmed by its lack of great action scenes.

probably 1B yuan tops

• Astonished 1

9 hours ago, firedeep said:

fangirls driven shit movie, what can you expect

Ah, with a name like Shanghai Fortress I didnt realize it was a frontloaded girl flick.

SF has a 7 rating. Dailies will crumble.

NZ shows will increase by 25%+ tomorrow , last Sat they increase by 20%.

Perhaps a 70% bump instead of last weeks 66%.

Today tracking to 120m

Sat   205m

Sun   205m

M-th  350m    week 3-   880m -40% WoW 

Th Tot 3925m/$560m

Total after 3 more weeks with WoW drops of-

-60%     4475m/$639m.  Baseline-Locked

-50%     4700m/$671m   likely

-40%    4955m/$707m  possible. MH1 held -40% for several weeks into Sept. Will they run out of people? We'll see. 5b could happen

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

I don't understand people thinking Hobbs and Shaw won't do well in China. It's better than the last two Fast and Furious movies and the chemistry between the Rock and Statham is fantastic.

People I know all think it was boring as hell, Maoyan under 8.5.

36 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

I don't understand people thinking Hobbs and Shaw won't do well in China. It's better than the last two Fast and Furious movies and the chemistry between the Rock and Statham is fantastic.

Half way into day 2 of PS with 22k shows.  PS at 500k. It may reach 900k today.  Its not flying over 1m  in a few hours like FF8.

On 3/31/2017 at 9:05 AM, POTUS 2020 said:

They just added 2000 show and PS on the move finally.  yesterday was a false start. 

Shows    PS     

1500       2k       11k

1600    4.7k     170k

1700    7.5k     300k

1800     11k     550k

1900     14k     873k

2000     15k    1.37m

2100     17k    1.58m

2300     19k    1.84m

Days                 OD

Out       WC     PSm

14         5.1      50    

13         8.7      29

12       12.0      21

11       15.0     16.6

WC was extremely front loaded. FF8 will out perform WC multies. Just a base line guide here.

I think Kong may be better to look at. Got to 1.8m Monday night.  PS went on to 20x and OD was 80x.

I'll have an OD projection in a few hours

16 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Half way into day 2 of PS with 22k shows.  PS at 500k. It may reach 900k today.  Its not flying over 1m  in a few hours like FF8.

Not reaching the high numbers of F8 doesn't mean it won't do well. It means won't do as well as the previous films but far from "failure".

1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Ah, with a name like Shanghai Fortress I didnt realize it was a frontloaded girl flick.

SF has a 7 rating. Dailies will crumble.

NZ shows will increase by 25%+ tomorrow , last Sat they increase by 20%.

Perhaps a 70% bump instead of last weeks 66%.

Today tracking to 120m

Sat   205m

Sun   205m

M-th  350m    week 3-   880m -40% WoW

Th Tot 3925m/$560m

Total after 3 more weeks with WoW-

-60%     4475m/$639m.  Baseline-Locked

-50%     4700m/$671m   likely

-40%    4955m/$707m  possible. MH1 held -40% for several weeks into Sept. Will they run out of people? We'll see. 5b could happen

It's not a girl flick. It's a sci fi movie but the lead star is Lu Han, former kpop star, who has a large female fan base. The die hard fans of his are supporting it but it's not really the type of movie they want to see him in. 

Unfortunately it's a pretty bad movie (only slightly better than an original Syfy channel movie imo) so it can't grab the sci fi fans either so that explains the frontloading.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

well as you wish.

if only you don't like Jurassic evil, we will have much much more in common. 

learn something @THUNDER BIRD

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I haven’t even seen JP2, JP3, JW, or JW2.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

Not reaching the high numbers of F8 doesn't mean it won't do well. It means won't do as well as the previous films but far from "failure".

Didnt say it wasnt going to well. Just pointing out that its lagging as many of us expected. Doing half, $200m or more is a good CBO number.  But im sure the studio is hoping for $300-400m with the most other markets pointing to a significant drop. Its a spin off, a drop is expected from FF8 but its budget is higher than FF7. Its going to need $700m+ WW to breakeven at the BO. 

It needs China to get it comfortably over that number.