A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ok. I think its time to pull the plug on this one. Easily the most shockingly bad china run for a movie in my memory if it finishes so much below genesis. what was the last movie to drop so much from the predecessor.

Rogue One?

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Rogue One?

That is not a direct sequel. You could say SW8. But Star Wars movies are unique beast which did not penetrate Chinese audience. Initial expectation for SW7 was higher(I remember Firedeep thinking 1B will happen).

But action movies generally do well and so I am surprised by this. Hopefully this is the last one. I dont think this franchise can be revived any more.

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is not a direct sequel. You could say SW8. But Star Wars movies are unique beast which did not penetrate Chinese audience. Initial expectation for SW7 was higher(I remember Firedeep thinking 1B will happen).

But action movies generally do well and so I am surprised by this. Hopefully this is the last one. I dont think this franchise can be revived any more.

TLJ works even better 😛

But yes, the fact that SW is what came to mind first is a baaaaad sign.     

I think the fundamentals of Termintaor can still be salvaged, but only if let sleep for a decade+ and preferably directed by Cameron.

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

TLJ works even better 😛

But yes, the fact that SW is what came to mind first is a baaaaad sign.     

I think the fundamentals of Termintaor can still be salvaged, but only if let sleep for a decade+ and preferably directed by Cameron.

I would rather JC make another original movie than any more sequels. My fear is he is so vested in Avatar  that it will be something like SW for Lucas who never directed anything else. And I thought American Grafitti was terrific. So I hope JC does not stop his career on just Avatar sequels.

OD looks around 55 RMB at this point (around $7.8M, just divide by 7 basically). So, yeah, if the Maoyan drops $40M would be missable. Atrocious, and other OS is not good at this point either. Unfortunate that what seems to be the best of 4 T2 sequels is paying for the sins of the first 3 -- but a good reminder that very very often with movies that are recieved poorly, the followup takes even more of the hit than the movie itself. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ok. I think its time to pull the plug on this one. Easily the most shockingly bad china run for a movie in my memory if it finishes so much below genesis. what was the last movie to drop so much from the predecessor.

In raw numbers, TF5 dropped over $90 million from TF4. But in percentage terms, Dark Fate could possibly be among the worst for direct sequels. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

OD looks around 55 RMB at this point (around $7.8M, just divide by 7 basically). So, yeah, if the Maoyan drops $40M would be missable. Atrocious, and other OS is not good at this point either. Unfortunate that what seems to be the best of 4 T2 sequels is paying for the sins of the first 3 -- but a good reminder that very very often with movies that are recieved poorly, the followup takes even more of the hit than the movie itself. 

$40m ow itself would have been meh imo, leaving it on track for $75 total after Genisys did $105. But missing $40 total is just mind-boggling. China and Dom combined are looking to bring in $125. Wonder if it misses $300 ww.

6 hours ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

We thought DP would firmly be the bigggest money-loser of 2019...

It wouldn't be.  Dark Fate is surprisingly doing OK in USA.   Looks like Rotten Tomatoes have considerable impact.

By the way

https://maoyan.com/

8:03pm

Better Days - ¥59.65M

Dark Fate - ¥51.48M

Weathering with You - ¥41.93M

Edited by John2015
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well, 63 OD, better nights than I was thinking. Full 4x PSm. Sat PS of 11.2M so far look pretty concerning though.

Its done. You can stick a fork to it. Most disappointing China run in a while. One could say SW movies but China was never into those movies. May be SW7 had curiosity factor having crushed OW records but obviously they don’t care about the universe. Transformers 5 did drop quiet a bit from TF4 and so that could be the good comparison. But Transformers movies were record breaking series and had to slow down at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its done. You can stick a fork to it. Most disappointing China run in a while. One could say SW movies but China was never into those movies. May be SW7 had curiosity factor having crushed OW records but obviously they don’t care about the universe. Transformers 5 did drop quiet a bit from TF4 and so that could be the good comparison. But Transformers movies were record breaking series and had to slow down at some point.

I just like surprising runs, high or low. At this point I'm watching closely to see how low things will get 😛    

Maybe 54 Sat with current presales? We'll see.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Agree. Saturday shows its toast. DOA..