Jump to content
A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread (2019 the worst year for HLW)

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, jb007 said:

So a remake of an Indian movie/Japanese novel will bitchslap IP man 4? Am I right?

Not sure why your comment is so smug / sarcastic / vulgar? The answer is Not really; IpMan4 will lead the weekend again. Overall Takings for both will be close.

Both films are helping to heat up this awful December box office

They are of different genre - so I would not say that they are necessarily competing, but one thing for sure -  they are both killing all other openers including TRoS.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not sure why your comment is so smug / sarcastic / vulgar? The answer is Not really; IpMan4 will lead the weekend again. Overall Takings for both will be close.

Both films are helping to heat up this awful December box office

They are of different genre - so I would not say that they are necessarily competing, but one thing for sure -  they are both killing all other openers including TRoS.

It is not being smug. It is shocking. I don't know who the actors are in that movie or their popularity. But to see it perform the way it is against a known franchise movie like IP 4 is something else. 

 

The other interest in that movie is because I have watched the original tens of times. It is a perfect movie for multiple viewings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mulan's opening should be huge. But I don't expect great legs at this point. Normal HLW drop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jb007 said:

It is not being smug. It is shocking. I don't know who the actors are in that movie or their popularity. But to see it perform the way it is against a known franchise movie like IP 4 is something else. 

 

The other interest in that movie is because I have watched the original tens of times. It is a perfect movie for multiple viewings.

Shouldn’t the known franchise in this case be TROS?

Kungfu Films like IpMan4 actually has limited appeal in China, and is a bigger IP in South East Asia (Malaysia, Singapore, Indo) and countries like Taiwan where it is on track to beat box office records.

 

Anyway both films are doing well, SwoS and IpMan4 both leading the box office, with IpMan4 retaining the crown again this weekend. The losers here are the new openers and other holdovers from last week; not each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Shouldn’t the known franchise in this case be TROS?

Kungfu Films like IpMan4 actually has limited appeal in China, and is a bigger IP in South East Asia (Malaysia, Singapore, Indo) and countries like Taiwan where it is on track to beat box office records.

 

Anyway both films are doing well, SwoS and IpMan4 both leading the box office, with IpMan4 retaining the crown again this weekend. The losers here are the new openers and other holdovers from last week; not each other.

SW is not a popular franchise in China. I didn't realize IP man franchise is not that popular in China. It is quite popular with the English movie going crowd in India.  

Edited by jb007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LPLC said:

Ok ok thank you for your analyse, so Star Wars is dead in China, and can frozen 2 reach $125M ? Is there holidays which could help box office in china ?

$120m.  NYE/NYD plus rest of extended run(Jan 20th) will help it get to just there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ip Man 4 led the box office again the past weekend with c.USD29m, it crossed USD100m today (Monday)


Tomorrow will see the opening of Adoring - PS for tomorrow already at RMB 60m! If it behaves like a normal film (instead of a Fan driven affair), then we could be easily seeing the next RMB1bn film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker beat biggest local sci-fi failure Shanghai Fortress at Chinese box office with astonishing ¥123M (exclusive from DL)

  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Ip Man 4 led the box office again the past weekend with c.USD29m, it crossed USD100m today (Monday)


Tomorrow will see the opening of Adoring - PS for tomorrow already at RMB 60m! If it behaves like a normal film (instead of a Fan driven affair), then we could be easily seeing the next RMB1bn film.

People just want to spend their time on Dec.31. WOM would not be too bad(maybe even good or fine) but it won't have great legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun day at the box office. Adoring looks to end with RMB 150 - 200m single day.

IpMan4, with its great word of mouth, may beat newcomer “Begin, Again” with RMB40m.

SwoS and Begin, Again will be a close fight for 3rd today. 
 

Finally some heat to the China box office.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Fun day at the box office. Adoring looks to end with RMB 150 - 200m single day.

IpMan4, with its great word of mouth, may beat newcomer “Begin, Again” with RMB40m.

SwoS and Begin, Again will be a close fight for 3rd today. 
 

Finally some heat to the China box office.

Not to forget Angel has truely FALLEN with sub 100m yuan total ... what a bomb

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Not to forget Angel has truely FALLEN with sub 100m yuan total ... what a bomb

yeah - got killed immediately even by Holdovers. The release has been delayed for too long, no hype at all.

 

Maoyan predictions updated - December release box office ranking:

IpMan4 - RMB1.12bn

SwoS - RMB1.03bn

Adoring - RMB0.67bn

 

i think Maoyan underestimated Adoring’s full potential, with a Maoyan score of 9.3 and opening of >160m, I think 1bn is within reach.

 

Tomorrow (1st Jan) is a public holiday - will see how high IpMan4 and Adoring can fly and see any Maoyan updates their predictions.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

yeah - got killed immediately even by Holdovers. The release has been delayed for too long, no hype at all. And terrible release date.

 

Maoyan predictions updated - December release box office ranking:

IpMan4 - RMB1.12bn

SwoS - RMB1.03bn

Adoring - RMB0.67bn

 

i think Maoyan underestimated Adoring’s full potential, with a Maoyan score of 9.3 and opening of >160m, I think 1bn is within reach.

 

Tomorrow (1st Jan) is a public holiday - will see how high IpMan4 and Adoring can fly and see any Maoyan updates their predictions.

 

agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 2019 top movies

Rank

Title

Lifetime Gross - M

Ad - M

Release Date

1

Ne Zha

¥5,001.06 

$726.95 

139.89 

Friday

7/26/2019

2

The Wandering Earth

¥4,679.95 

$694.13 

104.98 

Tuesday

2/5/2019

3

Avengers: Endgame

¥4,248.39 

$632.02 

86.79 

Wednesday

4/24/2019

4

My People, My Country

¥3,119.07 

$436.34 

82.52 

Monday

9/30/2019

5

The Captain

¥2,900.05 

$405.70 

77.60 

Monday

9/30/2019

6

Crazy Alien

¥2,211.19 

$327.96 

52.66 

Tuesday

2/5/2019

7

Pegasus

¥1,725.72 

$255.96 

41.42 

Tuesday

2/5/2019

8

The Bravest

¥1,702.18 

$246.74 

47.48 

Thursday

8/1/2019

9

Better Days

¥1,555.66 

$220.18 

42.97 

Friday

10/25/2019

10

Hobbs & Shaw

¥1,434.13 

$202.12 

40.22 

Friday

8/23/2019

11

Spider-Man: Far From Home

¥1,417.26 

$206.39 

39.49 

Friday

6/28/2019

12

The White Storm 2

¥1,310.84 

$190.15 

36.24 

Friday

7/5/2019

 

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

So it hit 5B after all. Did we already know that?

 

recent days many movies got little more because Film Bureau found out some theaters stole box office.

  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.