A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

12 minutes ago, LPLC said:

So Endgame reached $2.8B ? because in China final gross were $629M and now it's $632M

No, it does not work in that way. The official number is the WW figure that we already have. Each local figure can be modified because of some late adjustments but the real WW number is what we already know.

1 hour ago, peludo said:

No, it does not work in that way. The official number is the WW figure that we already have. Each local figure can be modified because of some late adjustments but the real WW number is what we already know.

Ok thank you I didn't know but there hasn't been updates since September/October no ? maybe now AEG surpassed $2.8B 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peludo said:

its weird though why disney hasnt push endgame to 2,8 billion, its off for about 2 million, maybe they dont care

On 12/31/2019 at 5:16 PM, Madhuvan said:

How is Frozen 2 doing? Any surge during Holidays. 

Made 9m on NYD. 829m total. Still on track for 840m/$120m

On 12/31/2019 at 6:22 PM, TigerPaw said:

yeah - got killed immediately even by Holdovers. The release has been delayed for too long, no hype at all.

Maoyan predictions updated - December release box office ranking:

IpMan4 - RMB1.12bn

SwoS - RMB1.03bn

Adoring - RMB0.67bn

i think Maoyan underestimated Adoring’s full potential, with a Maoyan score of 9.3 and opening of >160m, I think 1bn is within reach.

Tomorrow (1st Jan) is a public holiday - will see how high IpMan4 and Adoring can fly and see any Maoyan updates their predictions.

31m thursday 317m total.  I think 450m more then CNY begins.

Holiday lifts all movies. Even bad ones.

SW9 trying for $20m, setting a high and virtually impossible bar for SWX

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 1

Many local film studios especially SMEs have been shut down since tax issues in the end of 2018. Even big studios don't have much money to make many big productions like past at this point. Industry believe that 2020 CNY could be the very last shining moment for the next few years. 

17 minutes ago, Steven said:

Except Fast and Furious 9,no Hollywood movie have a chance to reach top 10 of 2020 in China

FF9 may take 5th place

I don't think it's safe to say that Furious 9 will be the top hollywood movie this year right now. But probably no import movie could reach ¥3,000M until Shang-Chi or Avatar 2

27 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I don't think it's safe to say that Furious 9 will be the top hollywood movie this year right now. But probably no import movie could reach ¥3,000M until Shang-Chi or Avatar 2

I am Chinese,and I will tell you Shang-Chi has no chance to reach 3000M

because Shang-Chi is not famous and popular in China,nobody know who this guy is 

for Avatar is right,Avatar is really famous movie in China,everybody know Avatar here,you are really hard to find a Chinese who don't know Avatar,Avatar is one of the most famous hollywood movie in China,just like Star Wars famous in North America,even my grandmother know this movie,I can make sure that Avatar 2 will hit like a storm in China(of course worldwide)

Edited by Steven

29 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I don’t think Shang Chi will do well; they cast an American Chinese...  not a China Chinese. And Tony Leung is not a draw in China..

10 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I don’t think Shang Chi will do well; they cast an American Chinese...  not a China Chinese. And Tony Leung is not a draw in China..

This is not the most importent thing,the most importent thing is,most of Chinese don 't even know who Shang-Chi is

Edited by Steven

Eh, never hearing about a character was never a problem with Marvel. China didn't know about Ant Man either but that franchise does surprisingly well there in comparison to other markets. So if Shang Chi is made to appeal to Chinese audience (he must have jaw dropping fight choreography or bust) it'll do well. That said, I don't expect BP-like breakout in either US or China.

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Eh, never hearing about a character was never a problem with Marvel. China didn't know about Ant Man either but that franchise does surprisingly well there in comparison to other markets. So if Shang Chi is made to appeal to Chinese audience (he must have jaw dropping fight choreography or bust) it'll do well. That said, I don't expect BP-like breakout in either US or China.

Yeah,But 3000m is  impossible,at max 700m

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Steven said:

I am Chinese,and I will tell you Shang-Chi has no chance to reach 3000M

because Shang-Chi is not famous and popular in China,nobody know who this guy is 

for Avatar is right,Avatar is really famous movie in China,everybody know Avatar here,you are really hard to find a Chinese who don't know Avatar,Avatar is one of the most famous hollywood movie in China,just like Star Wars famous in North America,even my grandmother know this movie,I can make sure that Avatar 2 will hit like a storm in China(of course worldwide)

True.

But this is famous 

Spoiler

AnyActiveHoneyeater-max-1mb.gif

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

3000M requires an attendance just below EG——definitely not impossible😏

1 hour ago, Steven said:

As I Observe,the most famous hollywood movie in China is

1.Transformer/Avatar

2.Avengers,Marvel

3.Fast&Furious

For animation

1.Kungfu panda/Frozen

2.Minions

3.Ice age

Ice Age is not so famous Look at IA5. Zootopia is very famous tho

1 hour ago, Steven said:

As I Observe,the most famous hollywood movie in China is

1.Transformer/Avatar

2.Avengers,Marvel

3.Fast&Furious

For animation

1.Kungfu panda/Frozen

2.Minions

3.Ice age

Coco did huge in China with $189+ but that's just one movie and not a franchise.

As to non-animations JW1 and JW2 did $228+ and $261+ respectively.

Edited by a2k