A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Crazy crazy stuff. The kind of thing you never could have seen coming just 10 days ago.

Presumably all the releases will now be scattered through the rest of the year, but without the huge holiday corridor the sum BO will still take a significant hit. 

• Like 1

Box office is just a tiny small meaningless thing now.

A whole metropolis can be locked down. No one is allowed to escape from Wuhan. All trains, buses, airlines, subways, highways, locked down.

2020 GDP probably will be decreasing for four decades. (2019 real GDP estimatedly increased 3% from 2018)

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Movies4Life said:

What does this mean for movies like Sonic The Hedgehog, Mulan and Black Widow?

There will be a lot of shuffling if this isn't resolved quickly.  Interesting to track

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

I wouldn't worry about movies. Main concern should be health of Chinese population.

Its a movie/BO thread. Nothing wrong with discussing current and future releases due to conditions.

150,000 people die everyday from this, that or the other thing, that doesn't stop us from posting frivolous concerns or expectations about BO. 

Carry on...

with a mask

obqowxnndx7gdjolqlg9.jpg?w=785&ssl=1

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

^^^

Problem is this is a communicable disease. So its better people stay away from cinemas where potential sick people could come. So its good to not worry about the movies until authorities have it in control. Worry is china is not too open about releasing information. I heard There was a case found in SIngapore/Saudi Arabia and even US has an infected case !!!! 

I hope all entry points have checks in place for sick people to ensure this does not spread. 

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

^^^

Problem is this is a communicable disease. So its better people stay away from cinemas where potential sick people could come. So its good to not worry about the movies until authorities have it in control. Worry is china is not too open about releasing information. I heard There was a case found in SIngapore/Saudi Arabia and even US has an infected case !!!! 

I hope all entry points have checks in place for sick people to ensure this does not spread. 

The outbreak is far more worse than initially thought.

China government has now decided to just "cancel" chinese new year by suspending airports, ferry, sub-way, train , bus .

They partially shut down cinema and cancel any celebration public event that potentially bring the crowd together. In certain area, all entertainment outlets are forced to shutdown.

It is quite an aggressive measurement but that only show how desperate they wish to contain virus and go this far      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

They are getting $100mn for that while Theatrical MG was $86mn. So I guess that suffices.

But then I am wondering that is $100mn for Digital release feasible. If it is, they could have got $30-35mn for post Theatrical release, digital release.

12 hours ago, druv10 said:

I wouldn't worry about movies. Main concern should be health of Chinese population.

Well it's a movie forum and all that but I was wondering that we know about it just because of cancellation of CNY boxoffice otherwise there isn't any coverage around me about it on SM or News.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The outbreak is far more worse than initially thought.

China government has now decided to just "cancel" chinese new year by suspending airports, ferry, sub-way, train , bus .

They partially shut down cinema and cancel any celebration public event that potentially bring the crowd together. In certain area, all entertainment outlets are forced to shutdown.

It is quite an aggressive measurement but that only show how desperate they wish to contain virus and go this far      

That is good. I hope WHO can confirm things are under control. It will take weeks(even months) before we know for sure. Plus hoping for vaccination to be available so that we dont have to worry about getting infected. World is highly connected and so there is someone directly/indirectly in contact with affected folks. I live in bay area which has a huge chinese population who will travel back post CNY. I am sure all airports globally will have checks before letting people fly. 

That is why despite being movie forum concern should be not on BO but containment of this epidemic.