A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Most factories still not open.

I say 3 months minimum before theaters open, just in time for summer, or it could be 6 months. This one is a beast.

Hey @A Marvel Fanboy @Olive @TigerPaw , and any other chinese members, how are you all doing? 

Healthy and plenty of food at home I hope.

And DVDs....

Disaster for Hollywood.

42 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Disaster for Hollywood.

I am sorry. DIsaster for chinese folks. Who cares about few bucks lost by hollywood. Here millions are impacted and the economy has stopped in those locations. 

How about places like Beijing/Shanghai. I heard Tesla factory opened and so is it controlled in those locations or fingers crossed until things go to hell over there as well. 

I am amazed Stock market is discounting this news. Even chinese stocks like BABA and TCHY are not down !!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sorry. DIsaster for chinese folks. Who cares about few bucks lost by hollywood. Here millions are impacted and the economy has stopped in those locations. 

How about places like Beijing/Shanghai. I heard Tesla factory opened and so is it controlled in those locations or fingers crossed until things go to hell over there as well. 

I am amazed Stock market is discounting this news. Even chinese stocks like BABA and TCHY are not down !!!!

Bruh these things are not needed to be said with every post. Of course the most important thing is about the people.

My comment is about box office only. Come on dude...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Bruh these things are not needed to be said with every post. Of course the most important thing is about the people.

Even then hollywood is a small casualty. something like 30 movies releases and only half a dozen does well. Chinese movie market will lose lots more. CNY week alone is like Yuge loss. 

I am sure some hollywood movies like BW, F9, Bond will release late if situation returns to norm in 6 months. Otherwise tough luck to those movies. They can obviously do direct to streaming in those markets for bigger value than post theatrical release. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

I think it is still fair to challenge the notion that it is a disaster for Hollywood, at least box office wise.

A very long crisis that would include massive market with revenues structure similar to the USA like South Korea-Japan (they get around 47% of the box office I think in those and have very healthy post theatrical windows, virtually no piracy in Japan) I imagine it could be really bad.

But last year, 64% of China BO were local production, say if a really big 30% of it (almost all of the rest, it could a bit less than that) was Hollywood title thats 2.76 billion.

22% of 2.76 billion is 600m, I giant crisis that would make Hollywood loose 66% of that would be loosing 400M.

Considering we are talking profit it is a lot, but it is a 80+ billion a year industry, with a good proportion of there revenue from television production not movies, video games.

China can be disastrous for Mulan, a Warcraft or a Pacific Rim sequel that would have been made for that market mostly, but even Fast and Furious can probably do very well and many movies are made knowing they will not be released there or not sure they will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

Disaster for Hollywood.

HLWD gets just 25% of CBO rev.  

FF9 will take the biggest (delayed) hit, $100m.  Other big films will miss out or get later just $25-50m.

21 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

True.

Its a BO forum. 

People keep saying its about the tragedy.

Mods keep saying stay on topic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

HLWD gets just 25% of CBO rev.  

FF9 will take the biggest (delayed) hit, $100m.  Other big films will miss out or get later just $25-50m.

True.

In terms of profit I agree but in terms of prestige and total WW box office numbers it is.

Black Widow or Wonder Woman for example could lose the 1 billion mark because of the situation in China.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

In terms of profit I agree but in terms of prestige and total WW box office numbers it is.

Black Widow or Wonder Woman for example could lose the 1 billion mark because of the situation in China.

I don’t think Black Widow will. Wonder Woman, though, that one will definitely lose the billion dollar mark without China.

37 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

MCU has bigger chunk of numbers from China than DC.

For a billion, BW need $150-200mn in China while $100mn will do for Wonder Woman.

I don’t believe that in the case of Black Widow and I still believe, since it’s being eventized as the start of Phase 4 of the MCU and the next era of the MCU and is getting more marketing than WW84, that is why I think a billion for BW will happen without China.

3 hours ago, Movies4Life said:

I don’t believe that in the case of Black Widow and I still believe, since it’s being eventized as the start of Phase 4 of the MCU and the next era of the MCU and is getting more marketing than WW84, that is why I think a billion for BW will happen without China.

I haven't seen that anywhere. I've seen more talk about it being a standalone story. Marvel hasn't even capitalised on the fact that it could be the last time we ever see Black Widow. Spider-Man FFH and Captain Marvel were sold as events and both missed billion without China.

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I haven't seen that anywhere. I've seen more talk about it being a standalone story. Marvel hasn't even capitalised on the fact that it could be the last time we ever see Black Widow. Spider-Man FFH and Captain Marvel were sold as events and both missed billion without China.

We’ll see if that changes this year and I think in the final trailer they will make sure it is capatalized as Black Widow’s first, final and only story in the MCU so it does get a billion worldwide.

Edited by Movies4Life

5 hours ago, Olive said:

situations outside hubei are under control now, new diagnosed cases less than 100 per day now, several province zero increase last few days,

I think Cinemas will be back as early as April.

I guess that’s good news for Black Widow in it’s chances to hit a billion.

6 hours ago, Olive said:

situations outside hubei are under control now, new diagnosed cases less than 100 per day now, several province zero increase last few days,

I think Cinemas will be back as early as April.

Would the preference be given to Chinese movies before hollywood ones. After all even some CNY movies will open on big screen. I dont see DC3 open directly on streaming. I could see Bond/BW/F9 all open on the same weekend 🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Would the preference be given to Chinese movies before hollywood ones. After all even some CNY movies will open on big screen. I dont see DC3 open directly on streaming. I could see Bond/BW/F9 all open on the same weekend 🙂

What I fear is if BW lost May Day weekend to DC3. I don't mind competition in 2nd week even if it manage May Day weekend solo because expecting awful/shit legs Anyways for the film.

• Disbelief 2