A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What I fear is if BW lost May Day weekend to DC3. I don't mind competition in 2nd week even if it manage May Day weekend solo because expecting awful/shit legs Anyways for the film.

why exactly ? except if you expect a very big ow there

Edited by john2000

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What I fear is if BW lost May Day weekend to DC3. I don't mind competition in 2nd week even if it manage May Day weekend solo because expecting awful/shit legs Anyways for the film.

I will be surprised to see any hollywood movie during prime weekends and summer this year. Though the movies that were planned for summer would be delayed because of Virus. I hope @Olive would do post COVID-19 preview for the year for chinese movies. Then the hollywood movies would release around the big chinese movies. They will at least give 2 weeks of open run for Chinese movies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

People will come for a big MCU film will end up with a filler. Awful legs.

Black Widow is supposed to be the finale to her character arc and has loads of action and is China’s most hyped movie of 2020, per Douban. Never doubt Marvel or think that China will see their movies as filler.

13 hours ago, Olive said:

situations outside hubei are under control now, new diagnosed cases less than 100 per day now, several province zero increase last few days,

I think Cinemas will be back as early as April.

We have seen these optimistic statements from the Chinese Government  before, and they have proven false.

I put the credibtility of the Chinese Government at about zero.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, john2000 said:

why that kind of legs ?  if reaction is close to cap marvel, then that mean around 200 mill

IMHO, those hypothetical legs would not be so much for quality or because people take it as a non-event film, but because of competition, what will be the main factor of thw whole year in this market.

China will protect their own movies even more than they use to do. As it has already been mentioned, we could see a weekend with 2 or 3 HLW films. And an upcoming weekend with 1 or 2 big local films, taking most of theaters, cutting any chance of legs. This remembers me to 2012, when TDKR and TASM were released the same weekend, with Expendables 3 coming next weekend. The 3 did around 300m Yuan, when all of them had better expectations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, peludo said:

IMHO, those hypothetical legs would not be so much for quality or because people take it as a non-event film, but because of competition, what will be the main factor of thw whole year in this market.

China will protect their own movies even more than they use to do. As it has already been mentioned, we could see a weekend with 2 or 3 HLW films. And an upcoming weekend with 1 or 2 big local films, taking most of theaters, cutting any chance of legs. This remembers me to 2012, when TDKR and TASM were released the same weekend, with Expendables 3 coming next weekend. The 3 did around 300m Yuan, when all of them had better expectations.

not just those 3, even prometheus released between those movies and movies lost show count very fast. 

At least screencount is way higher than 2012 and so market could support 3 movies a week. Question is would audience have the appetite to see all of them when the country is just back from this situation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

not just those 3, even prometheus released between those movies and movies lost show count very fast. 

At least screencount is way higher than 2012 and so market could support 3 movies a week. Question is would audience have the appetite to see all of them when the country is just back from this situation. 

Even when the theaters reopen, a lot of people are going to limit their being in  crowds to the necessary minimum.they don't want to take more chances then they have to I can't see film attendance going back to normal until a few months after theaters reopen.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, Olive said:

situations outside hubei are under control now, new diagnosed cases less than 100 per day now, several province zero increase last few days,

I think Cinemas will be back as early as April.

Like BO, you are low end and I am high end.

I say $300m, you say $200m on some movies.

I said 3 months and you now say 2 for theaters to open. 😃

Just announced, Hubei factory restart delayed until March 10th. They say its subsiding but extended shut down by 17 days. 

SARS came in 3 waves. 2nd and 3rd wave came after loosening restrictions and and didnt die off until the summer heat. I dont think theaters open until after factories open and a second wave is not seen coming for a couple of months.

We may have to wait for summer heat for all things clear.

South Korea is rapidly increasing. They are asking people to stay home in some cities. Japan is right behind SK. 

BO may be gone for several months in both countries as well. We'll know within 10 days.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1