A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Most likely and that's across world.

I am starting to think the same... I do not see cinemas opening here until, at very least, September or October. And even if they are opened, people will avoid crowded places for a long time.

38 minutes ago, peludo said:

I am starting to think the same... I do not see cinemas opening here until, at very least, September or October. And even if they are opened, people will avoid crowded places for a long time.

Yeah, even if reopened I wouldn't go there this year, particularly with no Disney animation movie till March 2021. Theaters are gonna take a hit....Disney got lucky they launched Disney+ as more of their revenues will come from this platform.

15 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Yeah, even if reopened I wouldn't go there this year, particularly with no Disney animation movie till March 2021. Theaters are gonna take a hit....Disney got lucky they launched Disney+ as more of their revenues will come from this platform.

Same! And even tho i want to see Raya and Black Widow so bad! I think i will wait to rent it, if there is no vaccine by then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peludo said:

idk how true is this, to be honest with you i think quite the opposite, but we will have to wait i guess and see how it unfolds , anyways see ya

Edited by john2000

I'm more optimistic with the expectation of reopen around later summer/early fall. Most areas are safe at this point. Dangerous is mainly from outside right now to China. They have politic task-driven films in National Day Holidays like My People, My Country last year. I think they won't give it up as long as things don't get worse. If the whole 2020 is over, 2021 would also get significant impact.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, john2000 said:

idk how true is this, to be honest with you i think quite the opposite, but we will have to wait i guess and see how it unfolds , anyways see ya

I wish we could turn back as soon as possible, but I am pessimistic. I am reading opinions which say that, unless we have a vaccine, the social distancing could last until 2022. With that premise to think in turning back massively to cinemas or other crowded events soon seems a chimera. And since the virus will be here to stay forever you have to take into account an irrational factor: fear of being infected. And then add the huge economical crisis we will face, probably bigger than the 2008 collapse. I am afraid this will be a really slow process.

3 hours ago, peludo said:

I am reading opinions which say that, unless we have a vaccine, the social distancing could last until 2022.

But those are only opinions. We're still at the point where policies can easily change as we find out more about the virus (there's still a LOT left to learn) and start widespread antibody testing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But those are only opinions. We're still at the point where policies can easily change as we find out more about the virus (there's still a LOT left to learn) and start widespread antibody testing.

I wish you are right...

6 hours ago, peludo said:

I wish we could turn back as soon as possible, but I am pessimistic. I am reading opinions which say that, unless we have a vaccine, the social distancing could last until 2022. With that premise to think in turning back massively to cinemas or other crowded events soon seems a chimera. And since the virus will be here to stay forever you have to take into account an irrational factor: fear of being infected. And then add the huge economical crisis we will face, probably bigger than the 2008 collapse. I am afraid this will be a really slow process.

this kind of social distancing cant last until a vaccine is found its not possible , we wont stop leaving bc of the virus the most likely scenario is that thing will open but with some capacity that it wll be decided by the goverment and with other measures such as testing etc etc, bc to be honest it doesnt make much difference if say goverment says that you can go for a walk then you will see hundreds of people just walking in the street , it doesnt make much difference in the end, new ways will have to be found , and last thing is that i think that fear could be a factor  but if people stay in lockdown for 6 months then most of the citizens will probably say fuck you if that makes sense lockdown and this kind of social distancing are short term solution and there are many many factors of why they cant last till a vaccine is found  at this level at least

ps be optimistic also doesnt hurt you know, the world is full of pessimism, i think that thats enough, we need to be more optimistic, i am not saying that you should say that its locked that the best scenario will happen, but really the last thing that we need right now is pessimism

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, john2000 said:

this kind of social distancing cant last until a vaccine is found its not possible , we wont stop leaving bc of the virus the most likely scenario is that thing will open but with some capacity that it wll be decided by the goverment and with other measures such as testing etc etc, bc to be honest it doesnt make much difference if say goverment says that you can go for a walk then you will see hundreds of people just walking in the street , it doesnt make much difference in the end, new ways will have to be found , and last thing is that i think that fear could be a factor  but if people stay in lockdown for 6 months then most of the citizens will probably say fuck you if that makes sense lockdown and this kind of social distancing are short term solution and there are many many factors of why they cant last till a vaccine is found  at this level at least

ps be optimistic also doesnt hurt you know, the world is full of pessimism, i think that thats enough, we need to be more optimistic, i am not saying that you should say that its locked that the best scenario will happen, but really the last thing that we need right now is pessimism

I absolutely understand your point. I did not want to say we will be with lockdown until a vaccine is ready. That would imply a total collapse of the economy, more dangerous than the virus itself. But even if we come back to streets there will be social distancing for sure. People will be VERY cautious in their social relations. And that implies directly to cinemas.

In terms of being pessimistic or not, I prefer to be realistic and what I am seeing and hearing here makes me think that we have a long way till the end of this crisis and back to our previous lifes. From my POV, too high optimism about something that is probable to not become real can take you to frustration and that would imply an even worse pessimism at the end.

Btw, Mods, sorry for talking about virus here too. I have just realized this is the China Box Office thread.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, peludo said:

I absolutely understand your point. I did not want to say we will be with lockdown until a vaccine is ready. That would imply a total collapse of the economy, more dangerous than the virus itself. But even if we come back to streets there will be social distancing for sure. People will be VERY cautious in their social relations. And that implies directly to cinemas.

In terms of being pessimistic or not, I prefer to be realistic and what I am seeing and hearing here makes me think that we have a long way till the end of this crisis and back to our previous lifes. From my POV, too high optimism about something that is probable to not become real can take you to frustration and that would imply an even worse pessimism at the end.

Btw, Mods, sorry for talking about virus here too. I have just realized this is the China Box Office thread.

i didnt say that we will be back to normal quickly, i said or meant that we will gradually  aproach normal after the lockdown  how much time that will take its up to the goverments

Edited by john2000

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-cinemas-expected-reopen-june-beijing-official-says-1292369?

Bei Chen, deputy secretary general of the Beijing municipal government, spoke at a press conference in central Beijing to announce that China's capital city will be lowering its state of emergency from the highest level on April 30.

The secretary general went on to explain that museums and indoor entertainment venues — including movie theaters — are expected to get the official green light to reopen in early June, following the conclusion of China's National People's Congress in May.

• Like 4

Chinese Authorities Say Cinemas May Now Reopen, as Cinephiles Rejoice

China’s cinemas may now reopen for business if they follow coronavirus prevention protocols like capping visitor numbers, new guidelines issued by the country’s top administrative body said Friday.

The guidelines are the first official signal that Chinese authorities have softened their strict stance on exhibition sector closures. However, no dates were mentioned. As of Friday evening, no films had been programmed and no cinemas reopened.

Nevertheless, the news was met with an outpouring of enthusiasm on Chinese social media, with the hashtag “Cinemas Are Going to Reopen” viewed more than 340 million times on the Twitter-like social media platform Weibo by Friday night. “Finally, there’s a glimmer of hope!” wrote one enthusiastic cinephile.

China’s cabinet, the State Council, said that “cinemas, theaters, recreation halls and other enclosed entertainment and leisure venues may hold all types of necessary meetings and exhibition activities” in its list of new policy recommendations for how to “normalize prevention and control” of the deadly disease.

China should “adopt methods like appointment systems and limiting visitor numbers to open parks, tourist attractions, sports venues, libraries, museums, art galleries and other indoor venues” like cinemas, the body said in a statement dated to Thursday but issued publicly Friday evening. It also urged the country to “fully open” other types of businesses key to daily living like supermarkets, restaurants and shopping malls.

Venues should strengthen ventilation and implement daily cleaning and disinfection, it added, while members of the public should continue to wear masks in closed, crowded places and do their best to maintain social distance.

Source: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/chinese-cinemas-reopen-coronavirus-1234602534/

• Like 1