A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Another very PS heavy day, more like ¥80M current guess. And Maoyan down to 8.5 indeed. 30x2 maybe? Seems like Mulan reception won’t make it a big problem next weekend.

Don't think too much about Mulan's reviews on Douban now, a lot of people are purposely giving half or one star. Mixed reviews means ppl who watched it gives it like 2 out of 5... half are from people with motives.

1) Liu Yifei is one of the leading actress in China, but has a lot of competitors; and fans of those other actresses tend to like to give bad reviews to films of other competing actresses

2) These people are obviously not fans because it hasnt released in China and they pirated the film; they never had the intention to support it. Pirates giving low scores is very normal, plus you dont have to watch the film to review it.

3) You have no idea how easy it is for HK boycotters to type Simplifed chinese (instead of traditional Chinese) to purposely pull the film down.

Honestly at this stage .. those who watched it there are pirates, how can their reviews be trusted? I watched the film in theater in Singapore, i think the WoM will be at least above average.

Back to Tenet... it was a great movie as well but I think it appeals more to Nolan fans instead of general audience. Much more so than Nolan's previous works

I think Mulan's Maoyan score will beat Tenet. I watched both films in theaters...

@Gavin Fengwatched tenet as well.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

People could figure out what Inception and Interstellar were going to tell before seeing it, but they knew nothing about TENET except time stuff. It's the reason that the buzz was very low before it's theatrical run. And WB China's people didn't understand the movie either and had no idea how to do more for its marketing. TENET could have miss $30M opening if Taopiaopiao wasn't the main distribution partner. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah can but Maoyan didn't add anything in last two hours yesterday, so who knows.

Its not great after 10pm but saturday is always the best day for a little late push

11 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So, Mulan is pretty much dead in China. 

This movie is cursed. Went from potentially Highest grossing movie to a potential flop. 

It feels like that all those movie fans on Chinese social medias today are doing nothing but making fun of Mulan...Many posts reposted by many internet users about how weird the movie is. And also competitions between stars are very dirty, some studios behind other stars are seeing this as a opportunity to attack actresses/actors in this movie.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

Seems like ¥60-61mn Sunday. ¥200-201mn weekend. As similar to Dunkirk as it can get. Admits 5mn Approx, 700k less than Dunkirk.

Ps pretty crap for tomorrow. Thinking ¥20mn may be. That's about same as Dunkirk. Full run thinking ¥325-340mn range. i.e. $47-50mn.

Edit: And Maoyan come alive at last minute. 65mn Sunday. 205mn weekend. Better Sunday than Dunkirk. Though Monday looking around same.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1

A small good news is Monday looks quite good. I am thinking 28mn. Dunkirk was just 21.7mn, that will be 29% higher. Dunkirk weekdays hold were shitty, with Thursday going as low as 14mn. Let's hope we stay over 20mn. 

May be it won't crash as bad as Dunkirk in 2nd weekend.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:41 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Someone serious told me Mulan can do $100mn in China. I think that's too much but Let's hope that happens.

Why? IMHO It's good for Disney to have the occasional big budget bomb. Keeps them from complacency.

And it's not like there are not  lot of Chinese film versions of the Mulan epic. The Chinese might have an attitude like the Japanase have toward Western attempts at Samaurai films:The Gaijan just cannot get it right. I was always skeptical of the "Mulan will be a huge it in China" for that very reason.

Edited by dudalb

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Why? IMHO It's good for Disney to have the occasional big budget bomb. Keeps them from complacency.

And it's not like there are not  lot of Chinese film versions of the Mulan epic. The Chinese might have an attitude like the Japanase have toward Western attempts at Samaurai films:The Gaijan just cannot get it right. I was always skeptical of the "Mulan will be a huge it in China" for that very reason.

The Last Samurai is the highest grossing Samurai film in Japan as well as being well received though so that statement is incorrect.

As for the other statements even if Mulan does do $100m that’s still only $25m for Disney which will be nice for them for sure but not exactly going to change too much in the grand scheme of if Mulan is going to be a roaring success or huge failure.