A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

China bars media coverage of Disney’s ‘Mulan’ after Xinjiang backlash

Chinese authorities have told major media outlets not to cover Walt Disney Co’s release of “Mulan”, in an order issued after controversy erupted overseas over the film’s links with the Xinjiang region, four people familiar with matter told Reuters.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/10/china-bars-media-coverage-of-disneys-mulan-after-xinjiang-backlash.html

mess.. maybe even more under performance now.

13 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Wow. 

So after so much ass licking from Disney 😂😂😂

Mulan is a big flop. 

Piracy.... you forgot about that. That is the ultimate killer IMO. The hype all killed because people who really wanted to watch already watched it.

Now a lot of people who bought tickets are watching it a 2nd time...Or true fans who was patient enough to wait.

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

4:1 positive/negative reactions on Maoyan after midnights.

Ya I read through weibo as well, people who watched it on the big screen mostly liked it.

Honestly this is a film where the big screen experience is different.

fingers crossed for a Maoyan score above 8.5.

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

Yup I know, I have the Maoyan app and you do know some of us do talk to Gavin on other app / sites, right? Haha

But something I find very surprising is that on both Maoyan and Taopiaopiao, the audience score for females is like a 8.5 while males score it 7.1; I rarely see such a divergence in terms of score between genders.

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I remember last year when first Mulan teaser hit, some said 300m can be easily hit. Now I see it was 300m rmb.

Times have changed. Honestly at least 1bn RMB was still achievable if it was released in March or August, now piracy plus the bad douban score already killed all the hype. Late presales gave it a final nail om the coffin.

Teaser / trailer views wise and anticipation numbers on app which usually translate to actual presales..ended up translating to higher number of illegal downloads. I have no doubt Mulan is the most viewed movie in September in China, just not sure whether is in the cinema... lol.

FYI - mulan was top 5 trending on Weibo when the HD piracy version leaked last Friday at around 4pm (GMT+8), lots of people already watched it last friday itself illegally.

Edited by TigerPaw