A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

The major payoff has already happened, but nevertheless it'll be interesting to follow the rest of this run.

It's still early on Sunday, but for what it's worth, Avatar is currently pacing on par with Saturday, if not slightly ahead. Given that it's a Sunday, I expect that the evenings will be weaker and it won't quite match Saturday's gross, but in any case it seems like the very positive WOM is really starting to buoy the film after a small opening day (which was to be expected really, given the circumstances of release).

It'll really be a testament to Avatar's enduring ability to make an impact on audiences as a cinematic experience if the film can carry itself to a decent gross here, given the extremely last-minute nature of the release. Would bode very well for a potential future global re-release (a proper one, with proper marketing and actual advanced notice) and, of course, for Avatar 2.

Edited by hw64
  • ...wtf 1

So this is doing 56m rmb today , about 5% drop from Saturday.

Weekend total should be around 21m usd, easily surpassing the entire re-release sum of Interstellar of 17m usd and beating 13.7m usd of HP1's re-release.

If you think closely, 21m usd opening is not that far off from Mulan's opening weekend last year....I would say this is a as good as it get result although Friday's number seem to had been supressed by late announcement .

Looking at HP1 and interstellar legs, avatar re-release should make total of 40-45m usd, although the hold throughout the weekend suggest that 50m total usd isn't impossible , helped by some buzz from headline about avatar reclaiming all time grosser position  

• Like 2

I'm glad to see Disney's Avatar has fought its way past Disney's Avengers: Endgame for the top crown. The hype for Avatar 2 (in China at the very least) will be quite strong. I wonder if it can challenge the OW number that Detective Chinatown 3 just put up.

Edited by VenomXXR

On 3/13/2021 at 7:16 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Titanic is a bad comparison here. Titanic's rerelease was 9 years ago. People's moviegoing habits have massively changed within those 9 years. Rereleases just are nowhere near as popular anymore. And Titanic was remastered into 3d, which gave it a lot of novelty, while the Avatar remaster will be a 4k upscale of a 1080p movie (since the movie was shot on 1080p), which doesn't have the same kind of novelty to it.

Not sure about the upscale jobs I imagine there will be one and maybe not via new renders at higher resolution (a lot of Avatar isn't filmed after all and could be re-rendered at higher resolution ?), but he seem more excited in that interview and only talking about high dynamic range and the possibility to experience it with HDR on newer projector with correct light level.

Now all of that will not have 25% of the interest than 3D remastering had the few year of 3d craze imo, at least in most market. But one of the very few movie that could have any form of excitement surrounding a remaster re-release would be Avatar during the marketing campaign of Avatar 2.

Monday hold was decent at 18M. A bit harsher than Potter's 58% drop. Tuesday is currently 5.25M, normally would be 12-13M, but I didnt checked Monday, so donno how will it be doing.

Nothing big releasing next weekend so hold should be good.

Am guessing 186M Week 1 and 50M 2nd weekend may be. 290M ($45M) closing perhaps. A good $36M lead over Endgame.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Monday hold was decent at 18M. A bit harsher than Potter's 58% drop. Tuesday is currently 5.25M, normally would be 12-13M, but I didnt checked Monday, so donno how will it be doing.

Am guessing 186M Week 1 and 50M 2nd weekend may be. 290M ($45M) closing perhaps. A good $36M lead over Endgame.

HP 1 re-release was a summer holiday release, therefore they had stronger weekdays

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

HP 1 re-release was a summer holiday release, therefore they had stronger weekdays

Yes and it's not just that I just saw that the ratings of the film on the Douban film site, Maoyan and Taopiaopiao were increasing. Critics are really great, the scores go up and therefore the wom will be big and strong and could have a positive impact on the box office of Avatar. I think more and more that the $60M is within reach.

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's number one now in presales for Saturday and Sunday.

Weekend will be over $10M.

Edited by efialtes76

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Serious question.

If the re-release makes more in the second week than the first, will it still get canned?

It seems a shame because the sky would be the limit at that point.

I doubt so, the daily box office have been trending like normal movie. If 2nd week were to higher than the first, at least last sunday will start to show a higher number than Saturday but it didn't happen.

Monday and Tuesday grosses also look standard to me

• Sad 1