A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 hours ago, john2000 said:

what the post says ?

Long short story, that Weibo user deleted and hid a lot of posts and his information already but he took responsibility, he said he mistranslated Simu's words, edited the video purposefully to change the context in order to cancel Simu and prevented Shang Chi from getting a chance in the mainland. 

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Now I imagine Disney have to screen the entire life of their cast and crew before deciding to use them, just to make sure they never "offended" CCP in any way. Hard to imagine a US-based entertainment empire bow more to a foreign government more than its own  

Wait you think Disney didn't check the background of Shang Chi's cast and crew when they hired them? In fact, most of Shang Chi's main cast are pro-CCP. Tony Leung and his wife are all pro-CCP (with Carina Lau has openly supported CCP on Weibo). Simu is also protective of China and he even defended Wuhan during Trump's era.

Look I understand that there is a moral crusade in the West and a lot of Westerners want to cancel CCP for whatever reason but when it comes to business, ego and political preference are the least things CEOs and shareholders care about, they only want profits and numbers like some of us. They won't give up on China market, and it's fully understandable from a business standpoint if they don't give up. And can we just stop sh1t talking CCP and at least stay neutral and objective  on this section please,  I already saw Weibo users screenshot some of the comments that trash talk CCP on this board, it will stir up more trouble if a lot of them take notice of it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I hope disney keeps Shang Chi of next Avengers movie as well. Why risk that getting banned. 

I hope they keep him. Frick pandering to a bitter delusions irrational government. Personally I hope the US joins the TPP or threatens to. China is acting like Russia did before Ukraine. Nip this shit in the bud. No one wants a war or being on the edge of one for decades. War will ruin both 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I hope they keep him. Frick pandering to a bitter delusions irrational government. Personally I hope the US joins the TPP or threatens to. China is acting like Russia did before Ukraine. Nip this shit in the bud. No one wants a war or being on the edge of one for decades. War will ruin both 

China wont forget or forgive. At a whim they will choose to not approve a movie. We have seen that over years and why would disney risk a market where Endgame grossed gazillion yuan. Even with lowly return its very big money. 

• Disbelief 1

52 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

China wont forget or forgive. At a whim they will choose to not approve a movie. We have seen that over years and why would disney risk a market where Endgame grossed gazillion yuan. Even with lowly return its very big money. 

Then make it hurt. Big time. 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:35 PM, TigerPaw said:

Someone needs to tell Simu Liu to keep quiet if he wants the movie to be shown in China.

He has no EQ or what.

The interview is going viral in China.. i know it may not be recent but he has to be careful with his words. If anyone has any doubts about China, go down to China today and see how much she has advanced. I am from Singapore and when I visited Shang Chi in 2016... I was freaking amazed.

Too much unwarranted hate for Simu.  It did well enough to get a sequel anyway. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Arian1010 said:

Long short story, that Weibo user deleted and hid a lot of posts and his information already but he took responsibility, he said he mistranslated Simu's words, edited the video purposefully to change the context in order to cancel Simu and prevented Shang Chi from getting a chance in the mainland. 

Wait you think Disney didn't check the background of Shang Chi's cast and crew when they hired them? In fact, most of Shang Chi's main cast are pro-CCP. Tony Leung and his wife are all pro-CCP (with Carina Lau has openly supported CCP on Weibo). Simu is also protective of China and he even defended Wuhan during Trump's era.

Look I understand that there is a moral crusade in the West and a lot of Westerners want to cancel CCP for whatever reason but when it comes to business, ego and political preference are the least things CEOs and shareholders care about, they only want profits and numbers like some of us. They won't give up on China market, and it's fully understandable from a business standpoint if they don't give up. And can we just stop sh1t talking CCP and at least stay neutral and objective  on this section please,  I already saw Weibo users screenshot some of the comments that trash talk CCP on this board, it will stir up more trouble if a lot of them take notice of it.

You really think there are no profit-centric CEO or corporate film in China?? Yet, they never dare betrayed CCP, no matter how big their business are.   

17 hours ago, Arian1010 said:

Actually, Disney and co (including Simu himself) already "took care" of it over the past 2 days, furthermore, a Weibo user kinda took the bullet and claimed that he/she mistranslated Simu's words, it was all his/her fault, etc, so this case isn't a big problem in the mainland anymore.

Screenshots

https://imgur.com/a/573QIej

lB5khOL.jpeg
C3sG9uF.jpeg

There are also a lot of C-netizens in the mainland supporting Simu now

https://imgur.com/a/fecRb7E

However, the Western media is exploiting the situation as usual with their false headline ...again, which isn't a big surprise at all.

To be honest,  I don't really care what would happen to the future of Eternals, Spiderman NWW, or even Dr. Strange 2 in the mainland, but Shang Chi really deserves to get an official release date in mainland China, it's a really rare film that Hollywood actually cared and respected Chinese and Asian culture as a whole. It's so unfair to see it suffers the same fate as other Hollywood cash grab flicks.   

The most viral post is still up though. 

This apology looks so fake.. almost like Disney bought this fake account - this account only has 2 weibo posts? Haha.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

This apology looks so fake.. almost like Disney bought this fake account - this account only has 2 weibo posts? Haha.

Considering the accusation was fake and this entire controversy is a load of dog crap I can understand why you would feel that way. I want there to be films in China and I want there to be a relationship between the two nations but right now there's just absolutely no trust and there's just a bunch of BS rumors that both sides perpetuate. I don't foresee the situation getting better for years.

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Considering the accusation was fake and this entire controversy is a load of dog crap I can understand why you would feel that way. I want there to be films in China and I want there to be a relationship between the two nations but right now there's just absolutely no trust and there's just a bunch of BS rumors that both sides perpetuate. I don't foresee the situation getting better for years.

I thought Xi and Biden just had a call like 2 days ago.. to discuss the countries' relationship?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Rumour has it that it was Disney's clone account on Weibo 👀 Lol joke aside, he deleted most of his posts pretty quickly after he got called out by other users so you won't be able to find out about his personal information anymore. Di Ba, an ultranationalism account reposted the translation from the OG translator so it drew a lot of unwanted attraction. After Simu's case was solved and diminished as a bad translation, Di Ba has moved to the new targets  (Gong Jun and Zhu Yi Long), today most of the comments in Simu's newest Weibo post are positive and supportive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

Rumour has it that it was Disney's clone account on Weibo 👀 Lol joke aside, he deleted most of his posts pretty quickly after he got called out by other users so you won't be able to find out about his personal information anymore. Di Ba, an ultranationalism account reposted the translation from the OG translator so it drew a lot of unwanted attraction. After Simu's case was solved and diminished as a bad translation, Di Ba has moved to the new targets  (Gong Jun and Zhu Yi Long), today most of the comments in Simu's newest Weibo post are positive and supportive.

thats good news

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

Eh; even prior to this, the haters usually don't go to Simu's weibo posts to post hate comments.. they share and comment on DiBa's post - i never really see anyone go to Simu's weibo to comment to be honest. So this aspect i see no difference.

Di Ba moves to different things all the time.. don't think it is related to the case being "solved". Haha. And i personally am not sure why the translation was bad? Looks pretty legit to me...haha.

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I thought Xi and Biden just had a call like 2 days ago.. to discuss the countries' relationship?

They did but there's still a lot of animosity as Trump really pushed the envelope the last four years. China retaliated in fair game and there's been a tit for tat for years.

Japan and others are pressuring America to join the TPP. Well it's not politically viable right now it could be later and that would piss off China to no end 

The US has grave concerns about China's actions in Hong Kong, the crackdown and the tech world, and what happens in the future what Taiwan.

I hope both sides are reasonable and they come to an agreement that makes neither side happy as that's what it probably should be. I'm just a bit pessimistic given the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

So no Hollywood films next week either, huh?

21st Sep is Mid Autumn Festival, there are some shifts of weekends / working weekdays - Gavin is more familiar on the exact working days than me.

There will be some good numbers from the box office in the small holiday; and there are some local films releasing in those few days; including a local disaster film which had pre-screening this week and good rating on Maoyan / TPP.

I don't think they will allow Hollywood films to enjoy even this small holiday. 

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Disbelief 1