A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Just now, Menor said:

In what way is Shang-Chi propaganda?

It isn't. You shouldn't take everything I say seriously. Most isn't. What I meant is that China seems to be much more focused on local products and doesn't want so many American productions occupying screen space.

13 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

It isn't. You shouldn't take everything I say seriously. Most isn't. What I meant is that China seems to be much more focused on local products and doesn't want so many American productions occupying screen space.

China is just proving they really don't care about the box office and there's nothing we can do to make them care about it. China is tightening its rein hardcore lately and I'm not sure that's going to dissipate anytime soon. I would like it to but we shall see.

5 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

I mean the fact Jungle Cruise is nowhere to be seen says more about the current situation than Shang Chi not having a date.

jungle cruise has been pirated like hell by now...so i dont think that even disney themselves tried to push for a release...between that and and shang ..they care way more about shang

Edited by john2000

7 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

What other american movies are approved for a Chinese release besides Bond?

dune also other than that..thats it though to be fair other than shang chi of which fait is still uncertain ....there hasnt been another major hollywood movie ..

ps venom will too but prob in oct

• Like 1

8 hours ago, john2000 said:

jungle cruise has been pirated like hell by now...so i dont think that even disney themselves tried to push for a release...between that and and shang ..they care way more about shang

As if China cares if it's pirated or not when they released Tomorrow wars.

• Like 3

I was going for completing Top 100 WW Grossers on letterboxd list and had 6 remaining. One of which was Hi, Mom.

On bright side, its not as bad as Wolf Warrior 2, but overall its really average. Comedy doesn't really work much, the main emotional twist right in the final moment was somewhat good. The film could have done so much better with the whole time travelling back to your parents, but did almost nothing. 3/10.

Insane this film has done $800M+ just on power of CNY. How much will genuinely good films do.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was going for completing Top 100 WW Grossers on letterboxd list and had 6 remaining. One of which was Hi, Mom.

On bright side, its not as bad as Wolf Warrior 2, but overall its really average. Comedy doesn't really work much, the main emotional twist right in the final moment was somewhat good. The film could have done so much better with the whole time travelling back to your parents, but did almost nothing. 3/10.

Insane this film has done $800M+ just on power of CNY. How much will genuinely good films do.

Haha. Some of the comedy does not translate well into subs.

I think for Chinese, being fillial is a key virtue hence many can relate.

Have you seen the Ip Man 1 & 2, Stephen Chow's Mermaid / Journey to the West or even Lost in Thailand. Those were movies well ahead of their time and are classics; which if shown today... would have broken records IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Have you seen the Ip Man 1 & 2, Stephen Chow's Mermaid / Journey to the West or even Lost in Thailand. Those were movies well ahead of their time and are classics; which if shown today... would have broken records IMO.

I tried IP Man 1 once, I am not big on martial arts, so skipped it and watched something else.

Will check them out. I have few of Tony's film on watchlist including Chungking Express, Mood for Love, etc. Would have watched Infernal Affairs, but since I recently watched Departed, not in mood to watch it.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Fun Thursdays, almost seems like Raging Fire on its 49th day rose to number 1 again, beating Free Guy on its 21st day.

How do I insert a picture - not from URL?

Will see what happens when actuals come out; but Raging Fire has a chance to become the highest grossing Hong Kong film in Mainland - it is less than 100m yuan away from reaching the goal. Reigning champion is Shockwave 2 at around 1.32bn yuan.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Early ticket sale of National Day movies look very gentle. Both ChangJin and My Country, My Parents have long runtime(176 mins & 156 mins).

You are right earlier in the year where you mentioned people these days spend their time / money doing other things - not just movies.

I mean i know that Universal Studios in Beijing has its soft opening, and seen people posting that they have visited... looks so much better than Univeral Studios Singapore (which i used to work part time for). Really made me feel like flying to Beijing ASAP. 

22 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

You are right earlier in the year where you mentioned people these days spend their time / money doing other things - not just movies.

I mean i know that Universal Studios in Beijing has its soft opening, and seen people posting that they have visited... looks so much better than Univeral Studios Singapore (which i used to work part time for). Really made me feel like flying to Beijing ASAP. 

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

Big-screen experience does not look that attractive. For me, the most satisfied experiences this year are:

Raging Fire - A entertaining blockbuster which offer general audience all they want.

Hubble 3D(BIFF) - It really make me feel being in space by stunning 3D effects.

City Lights(BIFF) - Cinema could and should be that pure.

(And Hollywood and local industry keep offering me shits like Detective Chinatown 3, Godzilla v Kong, Black Widow, F9)

I guess Mulholland Road would be my next. 

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

:ph34r:

Haha; i have seen videos of the Harry Potter World and Transformers world of Universal Studios - the theme park - but not the KF Panda world (in the theme park) nor anything regarding the resort. 😅😅😅

Eye opener. 😂