A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

it's hard to say. Years ago, local film festival show uncensored movie just like foreign. But in recent days, it got censored sometimes. Some movies still keep nude scenes, like Mulholland Road I recently watched, but some like Parasite, Call Me By Your Name had to cancel the screening with reasons like "technical reasons".

Actually, according to a new article in Sina China, Demon Slayer Mugen Train was screened at Beijing Winter Film festival without any censoring and in Chinese Subtitles. So, I am not sure how much legit was it as it was called back for a second review.

22 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Actually, according to a new article in Sina China, Demon Slayer Mugen Train was screened at Beijing Winter Film festival without any censoring and in Chinese Subtitles. So, I am not sure how much legit was it as it was called back for a second review.

from what I’ve heard, DS is a more complicated case. It was supposed to come out early this year as part of cultural communications between China and Japan. They showed the movie in some special activities. But the local release plan is hard to land as bilibi, local distribution partner of the Japanese studio, gave it up. Some people still try to make it happen before the end of this year, but the possibility is very low. And even if it happen, it would be a censored version.

Edited by Gavin Feng

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

from what I’ve heard, DS is a more complicated case. It was supposed to come out early this year as part of cultural communications between China and Japan. They did showed the movie in some special activities. But the local release plan is hard to land as bilibi, local distribution partner of the Japanese studio, gave it up. Some people still try to make it happen before the end of this year, but the possibility is very low. And even if it happen, it would be a censored version.

Some how, Weibo user speak that if the movie got a release date in China. Then Season 2 will avoid recapping episodes of the movie and will start from December 5. One of most controversial topic in Japan, is how Ufotable plan to show the prostitution which is the main theme of the Season 2. (These scenes are likely to get censored or Bilibili giving up airing the Season) Other news is that Bilibili has brought the screening rights for $4M. I am not really expecting a release window here. Because many had watched the movie via piracy from Blu-ray release back in June 2021. If there is an release widow than it must be Nov. Some other reasons refering cancelling is the position of my country supporting Taiwan as independent and republic but many says this statement and phrases aren't expecting to harm any Japanese film scheduled to release here. While, one controversial statement is that it got boycott by government because of overtaking 800 rank in 2020 Global No. 1 Film.

So, far these are Japanese films that are expected to release in coming times:

Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time.

Belle

Another thing, is Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 really getting approval of simultaneous same day release here as of Japan?

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Some how, Weibo user speak that if the movie got a release date in China. Then Season 2 will avoid recapping episodes of the movie and will start from December 5. One of most controversial topic in Japan, is how Ufotable plan to show the prostitution which is the main theme of the Season 2. (These scenes are likely to get censored or Bilibili giving up airing the Season) Other news is that Bilibili has brought the screening rights for $4M. I am not really expecting a release window here. Because many had watched the movie via piracy from Blu-ray release back in June 2021. If there is an release widow than it must be Nov. Some other reasons refering cancelling is the position of my country supporting Taiwan as independent and republic but many says this statement and phrases aren't expecting to harm any Japanese film scheduled to release here. While, one controversial statement is that it got boycott by government because of overtaking 800 rank in 2020 Global No. 1 Film.

So, far these are Japanese films that are expected to release in coming times:

Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time.

Belle

Another thing, is Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 really getting approval of simultaneous same day release here as of Japan?

same day release is almost impossible for Japan movies. The approval process is so long that studios have to submit the movie months in advance for that kind of release date, but Japanese studios are very careful and strict on their copies and hardly do that way.  

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

same day release is almost impossible for Japan movies. The approval process is so long that studios have to submit the movie months in advance for that kind of release date, but Japanese studios are very careful and strict on their copies and hardly do that way.  

Yeah, I am aware of that and thanks for your help. Detective Conan : The Scarlet Bullet has got same day release (preview, general screening started on April 17 while Japan's release date was April 16) which was already on the waiting period from over a year due to Covid-19. Detective Conan's OW countries also includes South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and France. International Release generally starts after 3 months. For China, it's after six months and America & Europe after a year almost excluding the exception. However, no international release plan has been decided by MAPPA. I strongly believe that it might follow EVA overseas release strategy. 

BTW, can we expect a seat for Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time at Dec 2021 since Prime Video is not available in Mainland?

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Venom 2 back to 5.9/10 on Douban after the film site purged thousands of good comments by hired users and robots.

Why haven't they done the same for the mediocre film Battle of Lake ChangJin 🤐

Scores on douban and maoyan are so fake. 😂

Douban ratings aren't fake. You can see the site has purge all the paid comments and 5 stars. While Maoyan are bot ratings. Every 7.0 movies in Douban are getting as high as 9.5-9.6 in Maoyan. Other than that only true and epic movie stands at Douban TOP 250/9.0+ ratings. Like Japanese Studio Ghibil Director Miyazaki Legendary Anime Film "Spirited Away" rank 7th on Douban TOP 250 with 9.4 ratings from 1.9M users. Venom 2 is unlikely to stabilize it's ratings at Douban.

Edited by Issac Newton

11 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Why haven't they done the same for the mediocre film Battle of Lake ChangJin 🤐

Scores on douban and maoyan are so fake. 😂

Have you watched the film? How do you know that it's mediocre?

27 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Yeah, I am aware of that and thanks for your help. Detective Conan : The Scarlet Bullet has got same day release (preview, general screening started on April 17 while Japan's release date was April 16) which was already on the waiting period from over a year due to Covid-19. Detective Conan's OW countries also includes South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and France. International Release generally starts after 3 months. For China, it's after six months and America & Europe after a year almost excluding the exception. However, no international release plan has been decided by MAPPA. I strongly believe that it might follow EVA overseas release strategy. 

BTW, can we expect a seat for Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time at Dec 2021 since Prime Video is not available in Mainland?

there was a studio which bought Eva 3.0. I'm not sure when, but it should come out at some point.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Douban ratings aren't fake. You can see the site has purge all the paid comments and 5 stars. While Maoyan are bot ratings. Every 7.0 movies in Douban are getting as high as 9.5-9.6 in Maoyan. Other than that only true and epic movie stands at Douban TOP 250/9.0+ ratings. Like Japanese Studio Ghibil Director Miyazaki Legendary Anime Film "Spirited Away" rank 7th on Douban TOP 250 with 9.4 ratings from 1.9M users. Venom 2 is unlikely to stabilize it's ratings at Douban.

All the overseas cinephiles have done rating it. GA will come in on November, no?

All Time Highest Grossing Film Mainland China

1️⃣ Wolf Warrior 2 : ¥5,688,741,000

2️⃣ Hi Mom : ¥5,413,303,000

3️⃣ Ne Zha : ¥5,035,021,000

4️⃣ The Battle at Lake Changjin : ~¥5000M (by Mon)

5️⃣ The Wandering Earth : ¥4,686,808,000

6️⃣ Detective Chinatown 3 : ¥4,522,346,000

7️⃣ Avengers: Endgame : ¥4,250,384,000 (Imported /🇺🇲 US)

8️⃣ Operation Red Sea : ¥3,651,886,000 (🇨🇳 China /🇭🇰 Hong Kong co-production)

9️⃣ Detective Chinatown 2 : ¥3,397,688,000

🔟 The Mermaid : ¥3,397,175,000 (🇨🇳 China /🇭🇰 Hong Kong co-production)

Stats: No. of Film Reaching Record- Breaking Milestone

¥5000M+ : 4 films (incl. TBALC)

¥4000M+ : 4 films

¥3000M+ : 6 films

¥2000M+ : 11 films

¥1000M+ : 66 films

All Time Highest Grossing Imported Film in Mainland China

1️⃣ Avengers: Endgame : ¥4,250,384,000 (🇺🇲 US)

2️⃣ The Fate of the Furious : ¥2,670,959,000 (🇺🇲 US)

3️⃣ Fast &Furious 7 : ¥2,426,587,000 (🇺🇲 US)

4️⃣ Avengers: Infinity War : ¥2,390,537,000 (🇺🇲 US)

5️⃣ Aquaman : ¥2,013,198,000 (🇺🇲 US)

6️⃣ Transformers: Age of Extinction : ¥1,977,522,000 (🇺🇲 US)

7️⃣ Venom : ¥1,870,680,000 (🇺🇲 US)

8️⃣ Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom : ¥1,695,882,000 (🇺🇲 US)

9️⃣ Transformers: The Last Knight : ¥1,551,243,000 (🇺🇲 US)

🔟 Zootopia : ¥1,534,528,000 (🇺🇲 US)

Stats: No. of Film Reaching Record- Breaking Milestone

¥5000M+ : N/A

¥4000M+ : 1 film

¥3000M+ : N/A

¥2000M+ : 4 films

¥1000M+ : 29 films

• Like 2

Sunday Estimates:

The Battle At Lake Changjin : ¥152M (~$23.6M) / ¥4925M (~$765.2M) 18D

My Parents, My Homeland : ¥33M (~$5.1M) / ¥1345M (~$209M) 18D

Saturday Fiction : ¥4.2M (~$650K) / ¥14.7M (~$2.3M) 3D

Knock Knock : ¥3.5M (~$540K) / ¥7.9M (~$1.2M) 🅿️ (Open at 10/22)

Turandot : ¥2.7M (~$420K) / ¥14.8M (~$2.3M) 3D

TBALC ran ~¥53M below yesterday total (¥206M) Cumulative total is expected to reach ¥5000M by end of Mon.

MPMH expected to finish over ¥1500M+ While overtaking both Chinese Doctor (¥1328M) and Raging Fire (¥1329M) today.

Note: I will update the weekend data (actual) later on Monday.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 2