1. 🇺🇲 Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $840M
2. 🇨🇳 The Battle at Lake Changjin - $828M*
3. 🇨🇳 Wolf Warrior 2 - $794M
4. 🇺🇲 Avengers: Endgame - $774M
5. 🇨🇳 Hi, Mom - $764M

* = still running

few notes;
1. US gross only, not including Canada.
2. China grosses are taken without ticket booking charges to make it apples vs apples.
3. Chinese grosses in US$ are arbitrary depending on ER you take, I take daily exchange rate for daily gross conversion.

Can we please get it other way around? Instead of cutting out convenience fees from Chinese, why not add the convenience fee to American box office total? Like, I wanna know how much exactly Americans pay to watch the movie, if all movies were bought via ticketing Apps only.

Edited by anti-Pedantic

I've heard that the reason MCU movies aren't getting released in China is because they don't want them to beat there local movies. But if that was the case why did they release F9? Furious 7 and Fate of the Furious made more than any MCU movie except Endgame and yet F9 still got a release.

1 hour ago, Landon1195 said:

I've heard that the reason MCU movies aren't getting released in China is because they don't want them to beat there local movies. But if that was the case why did they release F9? Furious 7 and Fate of the Furious made more than any MCU movie except Endgame and yet F9 still got a release.

It's not true. If china wants to abruptly cut the broadcast of a film, they can do so. You'll never see any movies other than Chinese being #1 at the box office out there. Not even Avatar 2.

10 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

Wrong idea. It's just Local Film Protection policy that restrict Imported films from releasing alongside with Chinese Blockbuster. Everything will be back to normal on March 2022. Because Currently all Local Blockbuster has taken away the dates. NWH will also get the chance to release after Jan 14th. Officially, Matrix 4 has a release date on Jan 14, 2022. So, there will be major hollywood release after Jan 2022 (also after CNY 2022)

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Dangal director's Chhichhore in China after 2 years of Indian release on 7th Jan.

Surprised but good news for Aamir's Lal Singh Chaddha. 

I think Korean films allowed after years as well. So China gonna say Asian power? If so, yeah I don't mind with their Fuck Hollywood ideology.

Well said!!!!!! SIGMA RULE: ''Don't follow the rules, let them follow you.''

BLACK WIDOW : CBO

HAWKEYE /RONIN : MCU

Black Widow Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

Edited by Issac Newton

11 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

Impossible,Hollywood film can not beat our local film anymore

No Hollywood movie break all-time box office record in China after Fast&Furious 7

Most Chinese over 40 years old have no interest in Hollywood, they will go to watch local movies, but they will not go to the cinema to watch Hollywood movies, because their English is not very good, and they are not interested in American culture, Hollywood audience in China is mainly young people

• Thanks 1

James Cameron's films can be so popular in China,  breaking box office records, the important reason is that his film is not very emphasis on American culture and ideology, so that the audience is very wide,

Whoever you are,men, women ,children,elders will go to see his movie, Titanic touching story , Avatar's incredible 3D effects,  is beyond culture and race, can be accepted by any nation, This is what sets Cameron's films different from the rest of Hollywood

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Wait, so No Way Home isn't getting released in China either? Fucking lmao, forget 1B. The Marvel Ban is real.

$1B is very likely to happen even without China.

$2B is off the table.

I think the target is $1.5B

• Like 3

I Am What I Am, a local animation which is set to debut on Dec.17, has gained very positive early reactions after previews in recent days. Average of recent 100 comments on Douban site is 8.93. A movie by the producer who did Wolf Warrior 2, Dying to Survive, Wandering Earth, Hi, Mom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

I Am What I Am, a local animation which is set to debut on Dec.17, has gained very positive early reactions after previews in recent days. Average of recent 100 comments on Douban site is 8.93. A movie by the producer who did Wolf Warrior 2, Dying to Survive, Wandering Earth, Hi, Mom.

Hope WoM will pull through and it beats the JohnQ copycat. =/

2 hours ago, LPLC said:

NWH will therefore never be released in China ... 

I dont have any idea how you got that idea from but whatever....We dont know when and if spidey gets release in this market.But your reasoning doesnt make sense at all.