A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

F9 is currently the 2021 highest grossing imported film in Japan &also the the second in the franchise below F7. What suck here is not the reception but how you like. Because WOM does not seem to be an very big issue in Japan. Technically, Hollywood film that received bad ratings in oversea, perform excellent in Japan. See, Venom 2 (although a superhero film) performing better than all of the 2021 MCU release &NTTD

23 minutes ago, john2000 said:

By the way i was forced by a friend to watch fast 9, fast 9 was the first movie i have ever seen in this franchise ( i am talking about the main saga) and let me tell you.....oh boy i wanted to pull my eyes out , it was just terrible......one of the worst movies i have ever seen...

These was my experience with Shang Chi &Eternals.....everything now equal.

I mean to say the when F9 was release. There was no any related controveries, problem in release date, or any possiblity of impacting local release. That's all. It's just a idiom not a sentence of comparison with genre

If NWH can't release in China,I will be very disappointed,because that means no Marvel film will be released here in the future.

Also I heard Shang-Chi will take part in Avengers in the future,then the more terrible thing is that all Avengers movie with Shang-Chi have zero chance to show in China.

I'm just so sad as a Marvel fan

Seems I have to fly to HongKong to see Spider-man.

Edited by Bruce

18 minutes ago, Bruce said:

My parents have decided to send me to Study in Ireland next year.

Maybe I will have the opportunity to watch Marvel movies for the first time during my stay in Ireland

Are you from China ?

4 hours ago, john2000 said:

By the way i was forced by a friend to watch fast 9, fast 9 was the first movie i have ever seen in this franchise ( i am talking about the main saga) and let me tell you.....oh boy i wanted to pull my eyes out , it was just terrible......one of the worst movies i have ever seen...

I agree it was really crap.

Let’s be honest though.

The problem though seems to just be with Marvel films than ‘Hollywood’ in general?

Dune, No Time to Die, Matrix, Free Guy, Cruella, Jungle Cruise, Luca and more got releases. The only real major one that didn’t release I can think of that isn’t Marvel is Space Jam 2 lol.

We keep saying Hollywood but it’s just Marvel really. I expect Uncharted, Sonic 2 and The Batman will get release dates and the Marvel films (including Sony) will be shut out for whatever reason. 

• Like 3

When it comes to the undecided nature of Spider-Man No Way Home, Chinese citizens have already voiced their displeasure. On the NWH section for Douban, users have satirized and criticized the situation and placed blame on the governments’ attempt to continually propagating Battle at Lake Changjin. Some users said "Why is it so hard to enjoy movies in China anymore". Some people even said local theaters near them are near bankruptcy and they needed NWH to help their business.

https://m.douban.com/movie/subject/26933210/?dt_dapp=1

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

Don't you find it sad to have to change country to be able to see the movies you like ?

I'm just plan to study in Ireland,not live in Ireland forever,I'll be back to China when I finish my study in Cork university.

I'm sad that Marvel film maybe never be shown in China in the futrue

I'm also sad that Marvel success maybe end in China

I heard Shang-Chi will join the Avengers,and you know our government really sensitive about this,so any Avengers Film with Shang-Chi have no chance to show in China,and China is the biggest Market for now,which means Marvel film worldwide box office will reduced a huge without Chinese market.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

Let’s be honest though.

The problem though seems to just be with Marvel films than ‘Hollywood’ in general?

Dune, No Time to Die, Matrix, Free Guy, Cruella, Jungle Cruise, Luca and more got releases. The only real major one that didn’t release I can think of that isn’t Marvel is Space Jam 2 lol.

We keep saying Hollywood but it’s just Marvel really. I expect Uncharted, Sonic 2 and The Batman will get release dates and the Marvel films (including Sony) will be shut out for whatever reason. 

Yeah,'Hollywood' not be banned in China,The whole damn thing it's just for Marvel

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

When it comes to the undecided nature of Spider-Man No Way Home, Chinese citizens have already voiced their displeasure. On the NWH section for Douban, users have satirized and criticized the situation and placed blame on the governments’ attempt to continually propagating Battle at Lake Changjin. Some users said "Why is it so hard to enjoy movies in China anymore". Some people even said local theaters near them are near bankruptcy and they needed NWH to help their business.

https://m.douban.com/movie/subject/26933210/?dt_dapp=1

Not only in Douban,Many Marvel fans have complained about the release of Spider-Man on the entire Chinese Internet, and they have been called 'traitors' by some nationalists.

The whole situation is really complicate,Nowadays on China's Internet,there are two groups, Marvel fans and nationalist,they fight against each other,nationalist think Marvel should be banned, because it is insulted China ,Shang-Chi and Eternal, and Marvel is the source of all these movie, and they will satire Marvel fans" If you want to see Marvel movie, then you can immigrate to the United States and get fuck out of China".

And many Marvel fans fighting back, many radical Marvel fans will even attack our government, thinking they are no different from Qing Dynasty

In short, the two groups of people fighting each other is the true situation of the Chinese Internet at present.

Edited by Bruce
  • Haha 1

If the theory of China specifically targeting Marvel is true then Disney won't leave it to die like that easily, they will try to negotiate the situation. Marvel is the most marketable brand in the international and Asia market for Disney (while now SW is a lackluster franchise for US nerds and dudebros), there is no way they could just let Marvel's future get killed.

Speaking of that theory, on the other hand, I saw some Chinese people on Weibo said it could be that the gov is targeting the whole superhero culture (just like how they tried to eliminate the whole Hallyu and Kpop idols, Kpop fandoms culture out of their country in the past), not just Marvel. If this case is true then even DC films won't be "safe" either, but at the end of the day, I guess things can still be bargain between the studios and local bureau, or perhaps they will try to work with Chinese local studios to secure future release dates of their films.

Edited by honeycookiez
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, honeycookiez said:

If the theory of China specifically targeting Marvel is true then Disney won't leave it to die like that easily, they will try to negotiate the situation. Marvel is the most marketable brand in the international and Asia market for Disney (while now SW is a lackluster franchise for US nerds and dudebros), there is no way they could just let Marvel's future get killed.

Speaking of that theory, on the other hand, I saw some Chinese people on Weibo said it could be that the gov is targeting the whole superhero culture (just like how they tried to eliminate the whole Hallyu and Kpop idols, Kpop fandoms culture out of their country in the past), not just Marvel. If this case is true then even DC films won't be "safe" either, but at the end of the day, I guess things can still be bargain between the studios and local bureau, or perhaps they will try to work with Chinese local studios to secure future release dates of their films.

I think Disney won't let Marvel just dead in China easily,after all China is one of the Biggest market for Marvel film and we have to admit that without China,Marvel film worldwide box office will reduce a huge

I think Disney will apologize to Chinese and never let Shang-Chi and Eternal characters join the Avengers if they truely want to save the Marvel in China.

Edited by Bruce
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Disbelief 1