A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

11 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

For insulting culture &violating national laws. This is the only first step to keep the franchise alive &the other step is just to leave the market. I believe Disney is wise-enough to follow the first step...

Then they'll leave the market. There's nothing to apologize for so there won't be an apology and they definitely aren't going to keep multiple franchises out of the Avengers or any other team just to appease some goofy CCP bullshit. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Then they'll leave the market. There's nothing to apologize for so there won't be an apology and they definitely aren't going to keep multiple franchises out of the Avengers or any other team just to appease some goofy CCP bullshit. 

Uh..It's up to them. But, if they can not bow for their franchise, they are losing a big market ($300M-$600M) in coming times. What ever it might be but it's up to them. And here a wise-decison works better than self-respect if I am correct,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Uh..It's up to them. But, if they can not bow for their franchise, they are losing a big market ($300M-$600M) in coming times. What ever it might be but it's up to them. And here a wise-decison works better than self-respect if I am correct,

Chinese releases are only 1/3rd as profitable as an equivalent domestic release. You're basically talking about, give or take, $100-150M a year in most cases. Disney's revenue next year will be $70,000M. It's barely a drop in the bucket for them. Just watch. There's a 99.9% chance they won't apologize for anything and a 100% chance they won't hold back characters. 

The only people really affected by this are MCU fans in China. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Chinese releases are only 1/3rd as profitable as an equivalent domestic release. You're basically talking about, give or take, $100-150M a year in most cases. Disney's revenue next year will be $70,000M. It's barely a drop in the bucket for them. Just watch. There's a 99.9% chance they won't apologize for anything and a 100% chance they won't hold back characters. 

The only people really affected by this are MCU fans in China. 

Cut Chinese gross from each and every Marvel films. Cut CNY from Endgame Global gross, &then observe it's total. Disney Global profit would not drop due to emergence of many developing market. But, will there decision to leave the market be fair for MCU fans in China? Was Chinese fans money in Endgame meaningless? A apology will just be benifiting for both the films and fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Cut Chinese gross from each and every Marvel films. Cut CNY from Endgame Global gross, &then observe it's total. Disney Global profit would not drop due to emergence of many developing market. But, will there decision to leave the market be fair for MCU fans in China? Was Chinese fans money in Endgame meaningless? A apology will just be benifiting for both the films and fans.

Here's what's going to happen. It's one of 2 options because there isn't going to be an apology. 

1) Disney does what Apple did and makes a backroom deal with the government (not likely).
2) The MCU leaves the Chinese market (likely, if things keep going as they are).

Also, this may be more of a superhero thing than just an MCU thing. At which point there's even less that can be done. 

11 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Also, this may be more of a superhero thing than just an MCU thing. At which point there's even less that can be done. 

At this point I am fulling expecting Turning Red to be banned for being 'insulting', The Batman for depicting police corruption/too much violence, MoM for the supernatural elements, Thor 4 and FB3 for LGBTQ elements, Aquaman 2 because someone in the main cast or James Wan said something against the CCP in the past, etc etc etc. The only franchises that will be released in a timely manner will probably be Dune and SW.  

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be shocked in the least if this is what happens.

Edited by Lion Roar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

At this point I am fulling expecting Turning Red to be banned for being 'insulting', The Batman for depicting police corruption/too much violence, MoM for the supernatural elements, Thor 4 and FB3 for LGBTQ elements, Aquaman 2 because someone in the main cast or James Wan said something against the CCP in the past, etc etc etc. The only franchises that will be released in a timely manner will probably be Dune and SW.  

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be shocked in the least if this is what happens.

It's very possible. They seem to be looking for any excuse (and this is what it is) to keep American films out. Maybe Disney should keep Avatar 2 out...

11 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

It's very possible. They seem to be looking for any excuse (and this is what it is) to keep American films out. Maybe Disney should keep Avatar 2 out...

Avatar 2 isn't out. JC filming tactics &storyline does not involve any propagation of American idealogy or what we called American propaganda, which inturn make up the only film that is capable of doing 2X of Endgame, while sequels are planning make 3X of Endgame gross in China

On 11/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, Gavin Feng said:

China 1.3 billion admission, $10 billion box office revenue.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Avatar 2 isn't out. JC filming tactics &storyline does not involve any propagation of American idealogy or what we called American propaganda, which inturn make up the only film that is capable of doing 2X of Endgame, while sequels are planning make 3X of Endgame gross in China

Sure, it probably won't be held back.

And why do you keep quoting Gavin's comment? Pretty sure you were told it was a joke a long time ago. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Sure, it probably won't be held back.

And why do you keep quoting Gavin's comment? Pretty sure you were told it was a joke a long time ago. 

Sorry, I did not remember. But's fairly enough to say that it does have the potential to outgross Endgame in China.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Sorry, I did not remember. But's fairly enough to say that it does have the potential to outgross Endgame in China.

Oh definitely. No argument there. A2 has the potential to gross $1B+ for sure. Not saying it WILL, just saying the possibility is there.

17 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Oh definitely. No argument there. A2 has the potential to gross $1B+ for sure. Not saying it WILL, just saying the possibility is there.

At that's probably why it won't release in China. No way is the CCP going to let a Hollywood movie surpass Battle at Lake Changjin. 

2 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

At that's probably why it won't release in China. No way is the CCP going to let a Hollywood movie surpass Battle at Lake Changjin. 

By this time next year there will probably already be something bigger. You’re correct though. A lot of people think they wouldn’t allow Avatar 2 (or any American film) to take the crown if it were to get to that point.

“The Donkey King” Continues Minting Money at Chinese Box Office

“The Donkey King” continues it’s successful run at Chinese box office. The character of Mangu has resonated well with Chinese audience as the film enters it’s third week in China. Film has collected $40,486.66 (72 lac PKR) over the third weekend, taking it’s 17 days total to $854,024.49 (15.12 crore PKR).

If we compare the numbers of third weekend with that of second weekend, the film has experienced a fall of 76%, which is huge. But for a Pakistani film to earn this much in a foreign territory is already a win. Film will continue to be shown at Chinese theatres till 18th of December as per the permission granted by China Film Group Corporation, which allows foreign films to run only for one month at Chinese box office.

With this, film’s overseas collection now stands at 18 crore PKR which is second biggest for a Pakistani release in overseas after “Jawani Phir Nahi Aani 2”. Film has so far raked in 42.5 crore PKR worldwide, earning it the status of an all time blockbuster.

https://pakistanicinema.net/2021/12/06/the-donkey-king-box-office-week-3/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

For insulting culture &violating national laws. This is the only first step to keep the franchise alive &the other step is just to leave the market. I believe Disney is wise-enough to follow the first step...

1) I don't get this so what u are saying is we shouldn't allow gay culture, so be homofobic because China demands it? Seems a bit backwards to me. I mean I get doing smart buisness but at somepoine if you claim to care about human rights / LGBTQ rights you have to stand up for them otherwise Disney should just not speak about them.

2) Cast members being critical of insulting the CPP is dumb reason to sensor, if the US would sensor every movie with and actor / actress that insulted Trump maybe 5-10% of the movies since 2017 would have been released. You just have to accept that you descision you make will lead to some people crititising it.

3) People / movies insulting comunism shoudn't lead to bans, this is dumb. Once again movie critice capatalism alot these days, they don't get banned (and there are good reason to critisise capitalism, as it a facilitator for alot of harm). The same goes for comunism, the system has flaws, pointing to some negative aspects of a system shoudn't be a cause to ban and just shows absurt delusion on parties trying to sillence critiek.

4) I do think that if hollywood or any other non chinese movie studie makes a movie about China should actively and correctly use the Chinese culture, honor it in the way it is and don't make a western version of China. Don't go use mostly western aspects with a tiny bit of chinese accents here or there cause thats insulting to the rich culture of China. Movies about other cultures shoudn't be just a western sterotype of the culture they a portraying they should try and get most aspects right, or resonate with the culture they are based on. Ofc movies can't do everything a 100% correct in convaying the culture but 1-2 mistakes in a movie can be over looked an amarican version of China (or any other country that they try to portray for example, mexico / brazil, egypte / france) is just dumb and this would be most acceptable reason to get a movie banned. (Obviously this is still sensorship and I would rather have people decide not to see because it isn't good or realistic / true to the culture) but still it's by far the most reasonable reason out of the 4. The other 3 are bs. And yeah f hollywood for not doing their homework on portraying other cultures.

• Like 1

@pepsa, I just suggested a solution that Disney can either post an apology that They will not involve cast that has related controveries in China, or a persona grata or a person blacklisted by the Government of Mainland China. or they may edit that part out for Mainland China. The other step is an extreme step is to leave the market. Now, if I am speak some practicals here, Disney will never want to lose the market for reason that they can correct in a day. If they do, then they just ignoring the fanbase in China. That's all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

They will not involve cast that has related controversies in China, or a persona grata or a person blacklisted by the Government of Mainland China. or they may edit that part out for Mainland China.

If they do it once, it will become a habit. It's tough to change actors once they are cast so, MCU and Disney will have to add a new clause with their actors other than NDA - #Don't speak your mind on China. #Don't support Hong Kong. #Don't Support Tibet. #Don't Support Taiwan. In few coming years, With how fast China is growing in power, more clauses will become available - #Don't Support India and #Don't Support Japan.

28 minutes ago, anti-Pedantic said:

If they do it once, it will become a habit. It's tough to change actors once they are cast so, MCU and Disney will have to add a new clause with their actors other than NDA - #Don't speak your mind on China. #Don't support Hong Kong. #Don't Support Tibet. #Don't Support Taiwan. In few coming years, With how fast China is growing in power, more clauses will become available - #Don't Support India and #Don't Support Japan.

Umm....They did a lot of wrong with our films too. But, we do not shout everyday about it like: "Why F9 got release if Hollywood is blocked", "CCP is a shit", "I would be happy if NWH defeat TBALC", "Chinese movies are propaganda", "When will NWH release?"........It's a normal timetable that Japanese Animation to release in China within three years, Exception for popular directors works is within 6 months. You can see My Neighbor Toroto released after 40 years in 2018, But, we do not cry everyday that film is not releasing in China. Just letting it pass by. We do not talk much about it. If a Hollywood film gets a Japanese timetable for release in Mainland China, then internets will definitely be flooded with lots of hatred, but for us, it's normal, we wishes to our Chinese fans to enjoy the film that all. We never blame CCP involvement in passing CFA regulation. But, I see everyday, people rants about them, &that same group of people can not go to China,& speak those rants in front of their officals.....Normally, Japanese release do not pass review if there are bloody violence.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Umm....They did a lot of wrong with our films too. But, we do not shout everyday about it like: "Why F9 got release if Hollywood is blocked", "CCP is a shit", "I would be happy if NWH defeat TBALC", "Chinese movies are propaganda", "When will NWH release?"......It's a normal timetable that Japanese Animation to release in China within three years, Exception for popular directors works is within 6 months. You can see My Neighbor Toroto released after 40 years in 2018, But, we do not cry everyday that film is not releasing in China. Just letting it pass by. We do not talk much about it. If a Hollywood film gets a Japanese timetable for release in Mainland China, then internets will definitely be flooded with lots of hatred, but for us, it's normal, we wishes to our Chinese fans to enjoy the film that all. We never blame CCP involvement in passing CFA regulation. But, I see everyday, people rants about them, &that same group of people can not go to China,& speak those rants in front of their officals.....Normally, Japanese release do not pass review if there are bloody violence.

But I said nothing about Japanese movies but I do got your point.

Edited by anti-Pedantic
  • Like 1