A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

22 minutes ago, Menor said:

Just because people don't criticize the Chinese government on this forum doesn't mean they don't criticize it elsewhere. This is a box office forum so the discussion will be about how things affect the box office.

Then why some here are complaining about a propaganda film being the #1 WW in 2021 precisely when Spidey is not likely to be released in China? If Spidey had already been scheduled in China there would not be any opinion like "I wish NWH beats the shitty Changjin film WW" as I read today here. I am sorry, but if China censors a foreign film for whatever reason, there is a political problem and it obviously affects directly to the box office debate.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, peludo said:

That is exactly what I meant: China has always been a dictatorship.

The debate today is that some people only seem to worry about it if Marvel (or whatever HLW film) can release or not there:

* HLW releases: how much can my film get from China?

* HLW does not release: Battle at Lake Changjin is a shitty film which should not even be considered in 2021 WW list.

Just money from HLW films are considered. The others, who care... If this is a box office site, all films care, not just our favorites.

Exactly. When a MCU film don't release there - everyone is worried about gross and keeps asking / checking about release dates.

Any other films.. Barely anyone bats an eye.

The truth is most people on this forum are MCU fans..but i hope things don't get ugly and political because someone's favourite franchise isn't release there.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, peludo said:

Then why some here are complaining about a propaganda film being the #1 WW in 2021 precisely when Spidey is not likely to be released in China? If Spidey had already been scheduled in China there would not be any opinion like "I wish NWH beats the shitty Changjin film WW" as I read today here. I am sorry, but if China censors a foreign film for whatever reason, there is a political problem and it obviously affects directly to the box office debate.

That is me, I wish NWH beating Changjin because of NWH is the last film with solid chance beating it. To make it clearer, I wish for any film including Hi Mom to beat Changjin lake but since that is not happening, NWH is the next candidate. The goal is to beat Changjin lake regardless of what take its place.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Exactly. When a MCU film don't release there - everyone is worried about gross and keeps asking / checking about release dates.

The truth is most people on this forum are MCU fans..but i hope things don't get ugly and political because someone's favourite franchise isn't release there.

Your words make me feel that all parts of the world are similar in a sense.

In China, there is a forum highly similar to BOT called "TNABO".

There used to be (more like 7,8 years ago)many professional box office data analysts in this forum, they found a lot of very rare data,most of users extremely love movie and they discussed professional  box office data everyday.

but now the overall discussion atmosphere is not as good as before.

The old users who used to be active on TNABO were mostly "movie" fans who treated all movies equally, whereas now with the Marvel film popularity spread out rapidly ,the users who are active on TNABO now are mostly Marvel movie fans  ,they only care if marvel movies are doing well, many people don't care at all about other series and movies,and they don't have the same expertise at the box office as older users, many of whom don't even know the basic knowledge of the box office .(Many people don't even know what is Box office mojo,which movie is the Highest grossing film in North America,like I said they just care about Marvel

Too many "movie"fans (The old users)complain about this situation ,they satire"Why this place still called TNABO,it should called The Marvel fanboy base"and many old users choose to leave the TNABO,and for now there are no rare box office data was published in TNABO anymore.

We just face the same problem,that's really interesting,even I 'm a Marvel fan (actually I am a fan of entire Hollywood),I'm not happy to see that TNABO don't have box office experts,but only Marvel fans now.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 7

While i agree Disney/Marvel might be loosing huge $$$ if current unofficial ban prevails..i strongly believe they should NOT apologize for remarks made by a certain actor X years back that may/may not be deemed offensive.  It will lead to unethical screening of actors before they were even cast.

• Like 1

I agree with Bruce and TigerPaw, It's actually not good to talk only about Marvel. Fandom is a different thing, but since this is a forum , so should includes all the movies. It's not that a Marvel title can money so you only need to just talk about them is just unfair for others movies. This is a kind of frustrating because I have seen that a BOT user has asked about Resident Evil, and did not got any response. And the other thing is that people are getting so confused in forum that when I asked about Matrix Resurrection, I got reply for NWH. Frankly speaking, in BOT, user are worried about freedom in China only when their Marvel movies are not releasing in Mainland. There are uncountable numbers of Marvel fans but I am not among them. I have just watch Endgame (4th week), Black Widow (3rd Week) and recent Eternals. Like everyone has a taste, I just do not like Marvel but yet I am big fan of Spiderman and Venom but not a hard that breaks BOT everyday....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I do think a big part is: how well will a movie do. Last few foreign release we have had have all been very bad total gross wise. And with bad I mean low, that why I think people ask curently alot of questions about mcu movies cause they normaly go over $100m, they could go close to $200m (spidey ofc much higher) and that cool to track. The same way if FF10 woudn't release in china it would make people speak up because China is big market for that movie + FF have had an good trackrecord / fun to track. Same as if avatar 2 would not get a release people would be sad because that 1B contender gone and many people enjoy big runs for movie they are familiar with. The other point would be that marvel has had not just one movie not released but 4 so people are seeying it more a ban for the full univers rather than just a movie not getting released.

That said I would agree that alot of BOF memebers are giant marvel fanboys and getting the same question 3 times a day for 2 weeks is absurt. A marvel movie doesn't get a release date, sucks but deal with it don't complain for 5 week straight cause nobody on the forum can do a thing about it.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

Russian war action Decision: Liquidation grossed ¥307k in 2 days, Have no idea why chinese picked up this film. Bombed in Russia pretty hard too. 

Decision: Liquidation

Each Day Breakdown (Gross &Admits)

Gross:

12/09 /PW ¥2000 (~$314)

12/10 /OD ¥180.8K (~$28.4K)

12/11 /D2 ¥126.0K (~$19.8K)

12/12 /D3 ¥93K (~$14.6K) (Est.)

Total ¥400K (~$62.8K)

Admits:

12/09 /PW : 12

12/10 /OD : 5,621

12/11 /D2 : 2,920

12/12 /D3 : 2,570 (Est.)

Total : 11,123

Ratings:

Douban : No ratings

Maoyan : No ratings

Simple Answer: People seem to like it. 

Edited by Issac Newton

23 hours ago, Menor said:

Maybe you should. Censorship is bad. 

Actually, My point is that our criticism can not overturn Xi Jinping Government or a decision, because China is not our homeland, and being an outsider, we should not involve ourselves in internal matter of China. The other thing, is USA themselves has given R ratings to Demon Slayer overuling Japan's PG-13 ratings. Since, USA has given R-ratings to Demon Slayer, so it's common that Demon Slayer can not pass review unless censored. Well, it's not a very big deal as I said Japanese Anime Film usually get release within three years &despite of piracy, Chinese fans does show up in Theatres, and this is the most lovable moment for every Japanese Citizen, that they love our work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I agree with Bruce and TigerPaw, It's actually not good to talk only about Marvel. Fandom is a different thing, but since this is a forum , so should includes all the movies. It's not that a Marvel title can money so you only need to just talk about them is just unfair for others movies. This is a kind of frustrating because I have seen that a BOT user has asked about Resident Evil, and did not got any response. And the other thing is that people are getting so confused in forum that when I asked about Matrix Resurrection, I got reply for NWH. Frankly speaking, in BOT, user are worried about freedom in China only when their Marvel movies are not releasing in Mainland. There are uncountable numbers of Marvel fans but I am not among them. I have just watch Endgame (4th week), Black Widow (3rd Week) and recent Eternals. Like everyone has a taste, I just do not like Marvel but yet I am big fan of Spiderman and Venom but not a hard that breaks BOT everyday....

I mean people are going to talk about what they're interested in so popular movies are just going to get more discussion. I don't see that as a problem.

• Like 1