A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Fake said:

Seems quite right. Shazam is at 28.65M @ 2PM compared to 49M at same point on Friday, so Sat is already more than 20M behind Friday. Current pace is around 75% that of Friday, so should add another 36M from here for 65M finish.

210-215M OW... 400M finish. 

Just curious. You're giving it a 1.9x multi despite that low 8.0 Maoyan score. Why? A 1.8x to 1.9x is for movies with Maoyan score of 8.5+.

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

400 million with 210 opening? Seems very optimistic for legs given the Maoyan rating. I was thinking more like 350 max.

Oh yes. Slipped my mind that the OW is inflated due to Friday. 

$50M (336M) seems like where it will finish.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fake said:

Oh yes. Slipped my mind that the OW is inflated due to Friday. 

$50M (336M) seems like where it will finish.

Yeah that seems like dead on the money. Maybe bit more if it holds up better after weekend.

Saturday estimates - Holiday

P storm 94.6M/284.2M,-9.4%

Shazam! 67.2m/69.8m, -30%

Andhadhun 27m/70.05m, +19%

Song of Youth 15.9m/294m, +25%

Dumbo 13.05m/115m, +25.6%

The Shadow Play 12.15m/44.65m, -24%

Durante la tormenta 3.2m/100.5m

Bohemian Rhapsody 1.98m/88.65m

Captain Marvel 1.5m/1032m

• Thanks 8

30 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Any explanation here for Shazam ! not gelling with China? This is really hard to understand. Trash gets rewarded and other good films somehow don't connect. 

My guess would be that humor isn't very appealing to non englisch speakers and it didn't had the hype to get a big enough opening weekend.

So no hype => low opening

Humor not landing => like first lego movie 

39 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Any explanation here for Shazam ! not gelling with China? This is really hard to understand. Trash gets rewarded and other good films somehow don't connect. 

I'm not Chinese but having seen the movie, it's missing the spectacle that Aquaman or Infinity War had. I personally loved it but I can see why it's not clicking with the Chinese audience. 

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

I'm not Chinese but having seen the movie, it's missing the spectacle that Aquaman or Infinity War had. I personally loved it but I can see why it's not clicking with the Chinese audience. 

Yeah... I felt that way too. It was more of a family comedy than a Superhero action movie.

That said.... Eagerly awaiting a Shazam vs Black Adam movie, if there ever is one. That will do gangbusters in China too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

And many of my Chinese friends find it hard to understand why “trash” like Shazam!, BP, SMH, and all Star Wars movies get praised in the US while other good films like Alita and X-Man Apocalypse don’t connect.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1