A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

53 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I like Vicky Zhao, definitely one of my favourite chinese actresses since Huan Zhu Ge Ge, but I am not a fan because I still look at reviews before watching her movies. 
No matter how badly Three did, Vicky Zhao is a draw, and one who is more consistent than Fan Bing Bing, Angelababy etc.

There is a reason why the Kris Wu/Liu Yi Fei movie next week has "So Young 2" added to the title. Haha

I got goosebumps while reading the title Huan Zhu Ge Ge. This was the biggest hit in Asia at that time and one of my fav drama of all time. Little Swallow is super adorable. Good news, this hit drama will be adapted to animated version and directed by its female lead, Zhao Wei. The production can't find any actress who can perform little swallow as good as Zhao Wei, so they decided to make it into cartoon. Maybe 2017. Anyway, her movie "No Other Love", Yuan Quan as the female lead, just finished filming and into post-production. This is her second time as director. Not sure about the release date but I'm sure it'll be a hit. 

Because Zhao Wei's So Young is a big hit so just titles the new film to So Young 2, it'll be a draw. Even both films were adapted from the same book, So Young 2 isn't a sequel to So Young. It's completely different director, actors and storyline. Anyway, I watched So Young 2's trailer and feel like it'll be a big hit too. Looks like it's a good warm-hearted movie. PS is huge too, beating Tang Wei's Book of Love is possible.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

I got goosebumps while reading the title Huan Zhu Ge Ge. This was the biggest hit in Asia at that time and one of my fav drama of all time. Little Swallow is super adorable. Good news, this hit drama will be adapted to animated version and directed by its female lead, Zhao Wei. The production can't find any actress who can perform little swallow as good as Zhao Wei, so they decided to make it into cartoon. Maybe 2017. Anyway, her movie "No Other Love", Yuan Quan as the female lead, just finished filming and into post-production. This is her second time as director. Not sure about the release date but I'm sure it'll be a hit. 

Because Zhao Wei's So Young is a big hit so just titles the new film to So Young 2, it'll be a draw. Even both films were adapted from the same book, So Young 2 isn't a sequel to So Young. It's completely different director, actors and storyline. Anyway, I watched So Young 2's trailer and feel like it'll be a big hit too. Looks like it's a good warm-hearted movie. PS is huge too, beating Tang Wei's Book of Love is possible.  

Great news, sounds interesting. In terms of films, i really like her with Donnie Yen in Painted Skin and 14 Blades, but now both are so highly sought after and highly paid that it will be hard to see them in the same show again, other than the Chinese New Year gala earlier this year.
I watched Huan Zhu Ge Ge growing up, haha.  The only mainland Chinese Drama i watch because I mostly watch TVB shows dubbed into Mandarin (Eg Journey to the west). Is the animated Huan Zhu Ge Ge show going to be a film or movie? 

Anyway, So Young 2... I think will have a big opening but Cold War 2 might beat it for the weekend. Kris Wu's recent tabloid stuff will hurt it, how much i don't know..but it will definitely hurt. Plus Liu Yi Fei is like a box office bomb, love her in Forbidden Kingdom but since then her career has been dipping like Ruby Lin, stuck in 1 genre and no breakthrough imo... Do hope it beats Book of Love and Cold War 2 overall BO, but odds aren't good...

10 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Great news, sounds interesting. In terms of films, i really like her with Donnie Yen in Painted Skin and 14 Blades, but now both are so highly sought after and highly paid that it will be hard to see them in the same show again, other than the Chinese New Year gala earlier this year.
I watched Huan Zhu Ge Ge growing up, haha.  The only mainland Chinese Drama i watch because I mostly watch TVB shows dubbed into Mandarin (Eg Journey to the west). Is the animated Huan Zhu Ge Ge show going to be a film or movie? 

Anyway, So Young 2... I think will have a big opening but Cold War 2 might beat it for the weekend. Kris Wu's recent tabloid stuff will hurt it, how much i don't know..but it will definitely hurt. Plus Liu Yi Fei is like a box office bomb, love her in Forbidden Kingdom but since then her career has been dipping like Ruby Lin, stuck in 1 genre and no breakthrough imo... Do hope it beats Book of Love and Cold War 2 overall BO, but odds aren't good...

The animated version of Huan Zhu Ge Ge is a movie, should be a big budget one. 

As long as the movie is good, I don't think that scandal can affect it much. Wu Yifan is just a new rising star in this past 2 years. His name isn't that big. Not his fan but not hater too. That scandal is nothing tbh. Ask for Liu Yifei, yes I agree! her beauty is much more than her acting skill. So Young 2 will be her highest box office.     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Planodisney said:

So is Thursday Dorys last day?

No ,it still has 2 weeks.

But with 3 super-wide release and one of them is an animation, Dory won't make much after Friday.

250-255M yuan finish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

Any prediction this Friday OD number? @No Prisoners

45 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

What's the usual multiplier for presales? 

PS multi has been erratic with HLWD lately

Last summer local film's PS multies were 2.0-2.2 for young adult like Never Gone. 2.5 for CW2 and 2.7-3.0 for a toon. With locals there are a lot more PS added in the morning before 9am

OD's could be

NG 100-130m  and will drop 10-20% on saturday

CW2 100-130m and should be flat to up 20% Sat

BF 60-80 up 50% on Sat

Saturday bumps or drops could change due to WoM

• Like 2

I guess with those 3 new big releases coming this Friday, holdovers will suffer a lot. Mainly both TMNT2 and Bounty hunters, which have only had 1 week with free calendar. What can we expect for them, maybe 350 for TMNT2 and 250 for Bounty hunters? or even less?

3 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

PS multi has been erratic with HLWD lately

Last summer local film's PS multies were 2.0-2.2 for young adult like Never Gone. 2.5 for CW2 and 2.7-3.0 for a toon. With locals there are a lot more PS added in the morning before 9am

OD's could be

NG 100-130m  and will drop 10-20% on saturday

CW2 100-130m and should be flat to up 20% Sat

BF 60-80 up 50% on Sat

Saturday bumps or drops could change due to WoM

I'm a bit more optimistic since local movie usually doesn't have high PS.

Book of Love, with decent wom, broke 112M OD, 120M (Sat) and 117M Sun. 349M OW and 786M total. Consider that CA3 opened on its 2nd weekend. 

Never Gone should has better wom than BoF imo. At least it'll have bigger OW. 

Anyway, Big Fish is the biggest thing for me. Hope it'll do well. 

Edited by Lihongkim
  • Like 1

Wednesday est 
Turtles 28.2m/263M
Bounty Hunters 18.4M/176m
NYSM2 14.5M/590M
IDR  10M/475M
Anti-fan 4.84M/73.6m
DORY 2.4M/246M
WC 1.1M/1470M
Three 0.67m/99.2m

Edited by Olive
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Olive said:

Wednesday est 
Turtles 28.2m/263M
Bounty Hunters 18.4M/176m
NYSM2 14.5M/590M
IDR  1000M/475M
Anti-fan 4.84M/73.6m
DORY 2.4M/246M
WC 1.1M/1470M
Three 0.67m/99.2m

Look at IDR go! So 10b yuan possible?:P

5 hours ago, peludo said:

I guess with those 3 new big releases coming this Friday, holdovers will suffer a lot. Mainly both TMNT2 and Bounty hunters, which have only had 1 week with free calendar. What can we expect for them, maybe 350 for TMNT2 and 250 for Bounty hunters? or even less?

I did expect 400M+ for Bounty Hunters. Now, it's dead. Its original release date is June.8 but due to afraid of Gul'dan, it's moved to July.1. Unfortunately, TMNT 2 released on July.2. Looks like no matter where it moved to, it couldn't escape "underperforming". Poor Lee Min Ho!

Audience seems not attract to China-Korea co-production. Miss Granny is still the highest grossing C-K movie. The Chinese remake of Veteran, Architecture 101, and the movie version of super hit K-drama "Descendants of the Sun" will release next year. Hope it'll do well. I really wish China will remake "Welcome to Dongmakgol". That's a good comedy movie.

Edited by Lihongkim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

I'm a bit more optimistic since local movie usually doesn't have high PS.

Book of Love, with decent wom, broke 112M OD, 120M (Sat) and 117M Sun. 349M OW and 786M total. Consider that CA3 opened on its 2nd weekend. 

Never Gone should has better wom than BoF imo. At least it'll have bigger OW. 

Anyway, Big Fish is the biggest thing for me. Hope it'll do well. 

It's not really as simple as that. Book of Love was a sequel of a successful movie and retained the story and its actors meanwhile Never Gone might have the So Young label but has different actors, story and director. Book of Love has Tang Wei and she's not seen as an idol actress so the movie is seen as a romance movie rather than a youth romance film. 

25 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

It's not really as simple as that. Book of Love was a sequel of a successful movie and retained the story and its actors meanwhile Never Gone might have the So Young label but has different actors, story and director. Book of Love has Tang Wei and she's not seen as an idol actress so the movie is seen as a romance movie rather than a youth romance film. 

Actually, Book of Love isn't a sequel. It's a different version of Finding Mr. Right. It just has the same OTP. But it's not as sweet as the first one. There is no romance between the two main lead. They just meet each other at the last minute of the movie but it's still worth watching. Agree! Tang Wei's acting is superb. Not to mention Wu Xiubo. 

Talking to Never Gone, I maybe bias to the cast but it really looks so sweet and warming. It's definitely more attractive to young audiences.  

Edited by Lihongkim

5 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

Actually, Book of Love isn't a sequel. It's a different version of Finding Mr. Right. It just has the same OTP. But it's not as sweet as the first one. There is no romance between the two main lead. They just meet each other at the last minute of the movie but it's still worth watching. Agree! Tang Wei's acting is superb. Not to mention Wu Xiubo. 

Talking to Never Gone, I maybe bias to the cast but it really looks so sweet and warming. It's definitely more attractive to young audiences.  

Crystal Liu and Kris Wu are definitely one of the prettiest pairings. But the movie itself seems to be an idol movie and that's a disadvantage when it's up against Cold War 2 with established actors and a known plot.