A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, Momo said:

400M WW or in China? Because the first GOTG only made 87M total in China.

of course China ow.

¥400-500M/$60-70M

This year most Hollywood films have a strong start except R1 and BtaB.I don't think Disney will under perform this time.Marvel is very stable brand in China.Musical and star wars don't.DS cross ¥300M/750M without fees.GotG should at least cross¥800M within fees.1bn is possible.If wom is great,GotG2 may close to CA3.

Edited by bangbingchan

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Guardians PS will start this week. We will know in a week's time how its going to perform(at least an indication). I am skeptical about it growing a lot. Very few movies have grown in past couple of years.

SH films are stable growth in sequel

not too low not too high

at least 600M.1.2-1.4Bn is on the roof.

Wolverine→Logan 200M→730M

TASM1→TASM2 310M→540M

DofP→Apocalypse 720M→800M(hit hard by WF.should cross 1bn with 385M ow)

CA2→CA3 720M→1.2BN

GotG1→ GotG2 596M→???

GotG1 release 2 month later in October.GotG2 release in May.Summer is better than Fall 

Edited by bangbingchan

55 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@Olive have all theaters reported for saturday. What is the final number?

I'm afraid actual number should wait for more days.System is not stable now.might break down anytime.

Maoyan update Sat 473M,Sun 370M 

Thousands and hundreds of theaters haven't repo.

MN 62M Fri 412M OD 475M with fees now.both higher than estimate number

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bangbingchan said:

of course China ow.

¥400-500M/$60-70M

This year most Hollywood films have a strong start except R1 and BtaB.I don't think Disney will under perform this time.Marvel is very stable brand in China.Musical and star wars don't.DS cross ¥300M/750M without fees.GotG should at least cross¥800M within fees.1bn is possible.If wom is great,GotG2 may close to CA3.

60M OW for Gotg2? Huge! I hope beat DS and BvS in opening weekend 

9 hours ago, POTUS said:

50%~ of the population is rural, low wage and not close to multiplexes. The movie going population draws from about 750m people, about double Dom and with half the half the.

We thought 200m was locked and 250 possible based on PS. With a 2:15 run time causing 1 less show per screen per day caused an overestimation. Also PS sellouts preventing walkups caused the PS multi to be the lowest ever for a HLWD movie.  It went to into new territory and all models went awry on the last day. Hell, even Maoyan couldnt get the same day projections right.

We have a good idea what to anticipate for TF5 now should PS hit similar levels..

April will up more than 50% from last year. 10-20% over 2015

I just want to say that Dom solled a lot more tickets 50 years ago when there were less complexes and a low wage. So it's normal for china tbh.

13 hours ago, peludo said:

That is not correct. F7 opened on Sunday and it did $63.5m during that OD. And during the next 7 days it grossed another $182m, which I guess is the amount you are referring to (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=fast7.htm). It is impossible to compare one opening to the other.

By the second Sunday (8 days), F7 was, more or less, at 1.5b Yuan ($246m multiplied by 6.2, which was the ER by April 2015). F8 will have reached that amount tomorrow (after 4 days), or Tuesday (5 days). Probably some of us got excited too much with initial presales about beating SW OW record outside US, but 190-195m is a brutal record, no matters how you look at it.

If that's the case it's even worse! $180 million from Sunday-Tuesday was amazing, I didn't know it opened on a Sunday (what a strange day to open on). So 2 years later from Friday-Sunday OW it really should have been higher, am I wrong? What does everyone think the film will end on, will it beat F7? 

24 minutes ago, StephenN18 said:

If that's the case it's even worse! $180 million from Sunday-Tuesday was amazing, I didn't know it opened on a Sunday (what a strange day to open on). So 2 years later from Friday-Sunday OW it really should have been higher, am I wrong? What does everyone think the film will end on, will it beat F7? 

it did not gross $180m from sunday to tuesday. It grossed that in 7 days....

25 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

it did not gross $180m from sunday to tuesday. It grossed that in 7 days....

Oh I see, i'm with you all now lol. It's Box Office Mojos fault as this page says OW $182 million, when you click on it, it says $63.5 million! So really it's on par with the last film. And I never said it's disappointing, just less than we all thought.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=fast7.htm

Edited by StephenN18
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

There's only one guy who think's it is disappointing @StephenN18 and dude, no offense, you clearly don't understand CBO.

It was BOM who misleaded me into thinking the previous OW was $182 million, that's all. Wow, all I said was underperform and you get shot at on here :stretcher:

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

I just want to say that Dom solled a lot more tickets 50 years ago when there were less complexes and a low wage. So it's normal for china tbh.

that is true. But that was different era when there was no cable/dvd etc and only way to watch movies was to go to a theater. Plus ticket prices were cheap. Ticket prices have increased 7x(and more if you go to imax or PLF) while GDP has increased only 4x. So cannot compare different era at all.

25 minutes ago, StephenN18 said:

Oh I see, i'm with you all now lol. It's Box Office Mojos fault as this page says OW $182 million, when you click on it, it says $63.5 million! So really it's on par with the last film. And I never said it's disappointing, just less than we all thought.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=fast7.htm

Yes, that data is confusing. There are people here, who know a lot about Chinese market, which are quite more reliable than BOM data (of course, I am not talking about me. I just repeat what they say).