A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Dangal already #3 Indian movie in China after Day one.

P.K. - 32.2M OW/118.2M total

Dangal - 50M+ OW/

Dhoom:3 - 8.5m OW/19.8M total

3 Idiots - 7.4M/14.04m

Delhi Safari - 3.56m/9.44m

Baahubali: The Beginning - 4.15m/7.47m

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Guardians is looking at a big increase today. Already PS is up 15% from yesterday(as of now). if it accelerates like it should 140-150m should happen.

Dangal should have a huge increase as well 30-35m saturday.

Hoping for a really big jump and a great drop on sunday... I want $ 55 - 60m debut, but $ 50 is good too.

4 hours ago, Olive said:

Dangal already #3 Indian movie in China after Day one.

P.K. - 32.2M OW/118.2M total

Dangal - 50M+ OW/

Dhoom:3 - 8.5m OW/19.8M total

3 Idiots - 7.4M/14.04m

Delhi Safari - 3.56m/9.44m

Baahubali: The Beginning - 4.15m/7.47m

Baahubali was an abysmal failure in China. Some in the indian media were projecting this as striking gold. :lol:

https://www.google.co.in/amp/amp.ibtimes.co.in/baahubali-bahubali-china-box-office-collection-ss-rajamoulis-film-strikes-gold-chinese-market-687690

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Indian "journalists" are nothing but idol worshipping fawners.

No doubt. Indian media operates on pay per article basis and are completely biased often posting outright lies to promote the agenda of the government.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Guardians is under 10% above friday at this point. It needs accelerate big time between now till 9PM. I am sensing 135m at this point. 3 day weekend around 330m.

Yup. 8m run rate, add 2 hours for prime time. 135m up 35%. A little better than average.

Dangal to bump 100%+. 28-30m

3 hours ago, jb007 said:

Baahubali was an abysmal failure in China. Some in the indian media were projecting this as striking gold. :lol:

https://www.google.co.in/amp/amp.ibtimes.co.in/baahubali-bahubali-china-box-office-collection-ss-rajamoulis-film-strikes-gold-chinese-market-687690

Indian movies have disastrous results in China until Aamir Khan's recent run (even srk/salman movies flops there). Baahubali was not that huge but outside Aamir's movie that was the only move with average success in China.

Just now, fmpro said:

It will do 8-10 mill $ total

Ouch,don't know why the OS market hates the movie so much. I saw the movie. It's a good movie. Seems the name itself hurt the product. Shame in my opinion.

16 hours ago, POTUS said:

Based on PS. PR - 10m/OD 33m/OW 60m/Total

That would be a truly beyond abysmal performance in China. I still remember that one PR fan who was adamant that it would do $300 million from China+Japan+South Korea. If Japan bombs as bad as the others, PR might not even get $10 million total combined from the three. :lol:

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

That would be a truly beyond abysmal performance in China. I still remember that one PR fan who was adamant that it would do $300 million from China+Japan+South Korea. If Japan bombs as bad as the others, PR might not even get $10 million total combined from the three. :lol:

Pretty clear in my opinion they did a shitty job promoting this movie OS. Not even the Smurfs movie did this bad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Momo said:

Pretty clear in my opinion they did a shitty job promoting this movie OS. Not even the Smurfs movie did this bad.

Agreed. There was definitely a huge base to tap into in Asia, especially considering there is some overlap between the people who like Transformers and people who would potentially be interested in this film.

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, POTUS said:

Yup. 8m run rate, add 2 hours for prime time. 135m up 35%. A little better than average.

Dangal to bump 100%+. 28-30m

Its not accelerating so far. still the run rate is slightly under 8m. I am bumping down saturday to around 125m. Also OD is showing 88.73m. @Olive do you know how many theaters have not yet reported? Does this mean actuals will be lower than 100m? 3-day weekend around 310-320m. That would be under $47m. I dont see it hit vol 1 number in USD for sure.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Momo said:

you can blame marketing in some markets but in china BO is not driven by marketing. Studio does not invest on marketing at all. So if it bombs in China, its bcos the product has no appeal to the audience. Considering this driven from TV audience that is not good considering Transformers is break out uber blockbuster is fairlly similar franchise. I guess lack of a big name director/cast hurt this.

• Like 1

@fmpro,is that $8-10m total run or just the OW for it. Also is that a firm projection or just your prediction as of right now? Sorry, I guess I'm looking for any thing positive. After PR and the way GOTG 2 now looking. I'm looking for any thing to hold my hat on. lmao

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out the maoyan live box results site. I thought I had the 3 day total of PR correct of 73m.. But if it 60m. I'm clearly using the site wrong. lmao

@keysersoze123,you might be right. If they did make another one,do you think a bigger name would actually help it. Like say if they cast someone of the Rock stature or so on.

P.S. Yes,I still think it possible. LG has a history of making sequels for movies that we wouldn't consider blockbusters. John Wick,Tyler Perry,etc.

Edited by Momo

5 minutes ago, Momo said:

@fmpro,is that $8-10m total run or just the OW for it. Also is that a firm projection or just your prediction as of right now? Sorry, I guess I'm looking for any thing positive. After PR and the way GOTG 2 now looking. I'm looking for any thing to hold my hat on. lmao

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out the maoyan live box results site. I thought I had the 3 day total of PR correct of 73m.. But if it 60m. I'm clearly using the site wrong. lmao

He meant total. it has sold .73m yuan of presales tickets for OW at this point. Not 73m.

• Like 1