A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, Ravi said:

looks like dangal will beat guardians in coming days. as of now 10mil for dangal and 17 mil for gg2. hows public reaction for dangal in china??

Pretty good!

I am reading Box office forums and many posts are about how good dangal is. 

Many reviews on Weibo are also excellent. Its Maoyan reviews of 9.8/10 is unprecedented, along with a strong douban score.

Will let @Gavin Feng and @Olive weigh in with more details.

But i like what i am seeing. Indian films don't usually do well in China, especially against tough competition like a Marvel-branded film. But WOM is really excellent and should drive box office up.

Only issue now is screen counts especially at peak hours(after work hours on weekdays like 6 pm onwards) - huge disadvantage against GOTG2.

I genuinely hope Dangal beats Guardians in China, will be really a showing that with a literally lame/bad Chinese title and huge screencounts disadvantage...the WoM can perform a miracle that allows it to beat a branded IP movie like GOTG2 which has advantange of more screencounts + most showings in IMAX 3D and 3D.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Pretty good!

I am reading Box office forums and many posts are about how good dangal is. 

Many reviews on Weibo are also excellent. Its Maoyan reviews of 9.8/10 is unprecedented, along with a strong douban score.

Will let @Gavin Feng and @Olive weigh in with more details.

But i like what i am seeing. Indian films don't usually do well in China, especially against tough competition like a Marvel-branded film. But WOM is really excellent and should drive box office up.

Only issue now is screen counts especially at peak hours(after work hours on weekdays like 6 pm onwards) - huge disadvantage against GOTG2.

I genuinely hope Dangal beats Guardians in China, will be really a showing that with a literally lame/bad Chinese title and huge screencounts disadvantage...the WoM can perform a miracle that allows it to beat a branded IP movie like GOTG2 which has advantange of more screencounts + most showings in IMAX 3D and 3D.

This. I love to see how unknown films are able to make this kind of excellent run and challenge the big Hollywood releases. And it does not matter if it happens in China or wherever. I like that standards and prefixed premises can be broken because if every film grosses what it is supossed to do this would be veeeery boring. And if the film that makes this is a good film (according reception and WOM, this seems to be the case), even better.

• Like 3

Douban rating for dangal is 9.3 which is around Zootopia(9.2). Guardians also has good WOM based on douban(8.3) which is higher than 1st film and better than other marvel movies. These numbers will go down for sure anyway.

Anyway looking like guardians will have a good hold today. Dangal is looking like having a monday which would be much higher than its OD. Definitely will hit 200m yuan and if it has showtimes for next few weeks can even make 300m yuan.

On 06/05/2017 at 10:41 PM, Cookson said:

Surprised by the low GV2 number.

As far as PR... Maybe toy sales were fantastic enough, and that warrants a sequel in itself. It's box office run has been pathetic though.

Toy sales won't mean anything to this movie. That's in BanDai's hands.

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Based on Douban F8 did much worse than F7. Does that mean F8 had meh wom and so did not have a great run outside its OW.

Definitely not the same level as F7.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Douban rating for dangal is 9.3 which is around Zootopia(9.2). Guardians also has good WOM based on douban(8.3) which is higher than 1st film and better than other marvel movies. These numbers will go down for sure anyway.

Anyway looking like guardians will have a good hold today. Dangal is looking like having a monday which would be much higher than its OD. Definitely will hit 200m yuan and if it has showtimes for next few weeks can even make 300m yuan.

I am already questioning when Dangal dailys will be higher than Guardians'. Yesterday, we had Dangal 34m vs GOTG 96m (according estimates posted here), so Dangal did a 35% of GOTG day. Today it is, for the moment, 14 vs 27 (according cbooo), so Dangal day is a 52% of Guardians' day. Probably GOTG is more a weekend film, but the gap is narrowing very quickly.

1 minute ago, peludo said:

I am already questioning when Dangal dailys will be higher than Guardians'. Yesterday, we had Dangal 34m vs GOTG 96m (according estimates posted here), so Dangal did a 35% of GOTG day. Today it is, for the moment, 14 vs 27 (according cbooo), so Dangal day is a 52% of Guardians' day. Probably GOTG is more a weekend film, but the gap is narrowing very quickly.

At maoyan(which is definitely more accurate) its 17.56 vs 27.45. So the margin is definitely coming down. With market being so busy not sure if Dangal can hold showtimes to overtake Guardians. Plus guardians itself is not dong badly. So I am not very sure.

• Like 2

The two biggest cinematic market of the world, USA and China, the audience's taste is getting divisive.

xxx, resident evil, warcraft all bombed in USA but scored incredibly well in china; finding dory, rogue one and BATB while scored massive/historical number in USA, but so-so in China.

even for mega-blockbuster, F7 hit all time high in 2015 in china, but relatively weak in USA(even ranked below inside out, barely passed American Sniper); SW7, achieved all time high in USA but somewhat "ordinary" in China.

Imagine if BATB has F8 type of number in China, BATB will hit $1.5b WW easily, imagine if F8 has BATB's number in USA, it will too, even reached as high as $1.6b WW

The divisive taste of both country lead to an outcome, it make a single movie hardly to break out as a WW box office master.

Avatar and Titanic ,the two movies that could "unite" both countries, would easily sit sweetly on the top2 all time WW's chart.

*mistakenly post it in domestic's thread 

MON estimates

before
service charges
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  33m / 354.9m(-65%)
Dangal  -  19.7m / 99.1m(-44%)
Shock Wave  -  6.64m / 337.5m
Fate of the Furious  - 4.44m / 2,505m
Battle of Memories  -  3.5m / 263.8m
Love off the cuff  -  2.5m / 186.9m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  2.18m / 156.7m

after service charges
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  35m / 376.2m
Dangal  -  21.5m / 108.2m
Shock Wave  -  7.15m / 363.5m
Fate of the Furious  - 4.75m / 2,656m
Battle of Memories  -  3.75m / 277.2m
Love off the cuff  -  2.68m / 198.7m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  2.33m / 165.9m

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

MON estimates

before
service charges
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  33m / 354.9m(-65%)
Dangal  -  19.7m / 99.1m(-44%)
Shock Wave  -  6.64m / 337.5m
Fate of the Furious  - 4.44m / 2,505m
Battle of Memories  -  3.5m / 263.8m
Love off the cuff  -  2.5m / 186.9m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  2.18m / 156.7m

after service charges
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  35m / 376.2m
Dangal  -  21.5m / 108.2m
Shock Wave  -  7.15m / 363.5m
Fate of the Furious  - 4.75m / 2,656m
Battle of Memories  -  3.75m / 277.2m
Love off the cuff  -  2.68m / 198.7m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  2.33m / 165.9m

dangal is coming in closer and closer

I like the weekly BO review at chinafilminsider. Very well written.

http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-guardians-2-wins-weekend-handily-indias-dangal-rise/

The victory, however, came in below expectations and Volume 2 will likely end its run near RMB 700 million (~$100 million), once again proving there is a clear upper limit to the once-popular superhero genre in China, especially compared to recent RMB 1 billion-plus earners xXx: The Return of Xander Cage and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

@Momo

Up next Friday for Hollywood are Power Rangers and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, but tepid pre-release buzz suggests Guardians 2 and Dangal will remain on top for a second straight weekend.

@keysersoze123,I have given up on PR making any money in China. Hence my post on Japan thread asking about any pre-sale sites. Since Japan it's last stop at the theater. At this point LG pretty much knows if they want to make another or not. If their happy with it doing John Wick/Tyler Perry type money. Then another will be made. If not. It was a good one and done picture. That I can always wonder what if on.

P.S. Before, I move on from PR in here. What do you think it final tally will be in China? 10-12M?