A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 hours ago, bruchav said:

I  know about the growth of the Chinese market in recent years,, but man of steel are not a female lead superhero movie. And none of those 2016/2017 superhero movies released as well,  For me the results of Wonder Woman in China are really good, 

Exactly, why not use more recent one (if Man of steel not being particularly more relevant).

Hollywood big Solo SH or DC movie since 2015

Solo SH

Ant-Man $105m

Doctor Strange $109m

Logan: $105.9 million

Dc entry:

BvS: $95m

For the female part with how well RE is doing in China, is it that much of a negative box office wise in that market ?

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter: $159m

I think the result are good (better than Rogue One) or at least not bad at all, but not particularly really good vs recent big solo entry, both Ant-Man and Dr Strange I think had a better sales to Asian market and we can understand why they did better, but not Logan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

Exactly, why not use more recent one (if Man of steel not being particularly more relevant).

Hollywood big Solo SH or DC movie since 2015

Solo SH

Ant-Man $105m

Doctor Strange $109m

Logan: $105.9 million

Dc entry:

BvS: $95m

For the female part with how well RE is doing in China, is it that much of a negative box office wise in that market ?

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter: $159m

I think the result are good (better than Rogue One) or at least not bad at all, but not particularly really good vs recent big solo entry, both Ant-Man and Dr Strange I think had a better sales to Asian market and we can understand why they did better, but not Logan.

Again, Doctor strange, Logan and Ant man are not female lead superhero movies...

And to think that people watch Resident Evil because  Alice,  is the same as finding that people watch Jurassic World because of human characters, or that people watch Transformers because of the human characters.

People watch Transformers because of robots.
People watch Jurassic world because of dinosaurs.
People watch Resident Evil because of zombies / action, and it is a famous brand of video games, maybe this also has a co-relation, Warcraft was also huge in China.

Best result of  from  Hunger games franchise  in China = $37m total, I expected Wonder Woman could have a similar result, that's why I'm finding the Wonder Woman numbers in China really good.

Edited by bruchav
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Hunger Games is a franchise based on a Dystopian world where children are forced to fight and murder each other until they lead a revolution to take down the gov't.

Wonder Woman is a SH movie.

A solo female lead superhero movie, tell me more about others female lead superhero movies..

About Hunger games...

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, bruchav said:

Again, Doctor strange, Logan and Ant man are not female lead superhero movies...

Superman is not either making the argument of using MOS instead of those has reference point a bit strange.

And to think that people watch Resident Evil because  Alice,  is the same as finding that people watch Jurassic World because of human characters, or that people watch Transformers because of the human characters.

The selling point of WonderWoman is not a human either. Anyway I would need to take you word for it (I have no way to say if a woman is a negative or a positive in a market like China, it is not like we have many precedent of SH woman since China is a relevant market) it was simply to point out that a female lead franchise can make a lot in China.

Well, I watched those Resident Evil movies for Milla. didnt care about Hunger Games as  I always find YA films/novels silly.

I think WW opening to $38m is acceptable, nothing 'great' or 'really good' but 'all right'. To say really good, it should've opened to $45m~$50m, like DS/LOGAN did.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ymblcza said:

WW will do 77m in China with 2x legs,it's okay compared to BVS's overseas.Anyway,Marvel is more popular than DC.

Sure, Marvel is right now more popular than DC. But the MCU has released 15 films in China. DCU just 3 (SS was not released). That is a big advantage. And two films released at the same time like GOTG2 and WW are not finishing so far one from the other, even more considering that one of them is a sequel and we already know how good sequels use to perform in China. GOTG2 with 685m and WW with 520?... the gap does not seem as big as one could think.

• Like 1

MON estimates

before service charges

Wonder Woman  -  31.6m / 280.2m
Pirates 5  -  16.8m / 934.6m

Dangal  -  7.74m / 1,070m

Doraeiga  -  1.53m / 107m

Beautiful Accident  -  1.21m / 11.43m

after service charges

Wonder Woman  -  33.5m / 297.5m
Pirates 5  -  18m / 1,002m

Dangal  -  8.4m / 1,162m

Doraeiga  -  1.65m / 116.3m

Beautiful Accident  -  1.3m / 12.2m

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Wonder Woman drops from Friday to Monday: +33.8% / -20.3% / -58.4%

Much better holds than Guardians 2 according to what Gavin posted on the previous page.

Worse holds would be very difficult to have. But these holds are really incredible. A member here said wom is bad. Imagine WW's holds with a great wom!??!!! Amaaazing!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alisson23 said:

Worse holds would be very difficult to have. But these holds are really incredible. A member here said wom is bad. Imagine WW's holds with a great wom!??!!! Amaaazing!!!

Didn't olive said the first 3 days would be inflated so it doesn't realy count. Look at pirates, it's just because some people have off till wednesday. Olive correct me if i am wrong. 

18 hours ago, Olive said:

Monday-Thursday hold may be better than usual since College Entrance Exams will be held this week, many of those who don't take exams don't go to school.

This is what i ment. Let's see friday to friday hold then. 

5 hours ago, alisson23 said:

Pirate 5 held better than WW,so it's not "incredible".

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

Didn't olive said the first 3 days would be inflated so it doesn't realy count. Look at pirates, it's just because some people have off till wednesday. Olive correct me if i am wrong. 

Not sure where you're getting this info. Pirates had a holiday from Sunday to Tuesday. WW opened on a normal FSS. 

20 hours ago, Olive said:

Monday-Thursday hold may be better than usual since College Entrance Exams will be held this week, many of those who don't take exams don't go to school.

Yes, weekday holds this week may be a tad better, but WW held better on Monday than the overall market did. 

1 hour ago, ymblcza said:

Pirate 5 held better than WW,so it's not "incredible".

Again, no it didn't. Pirates first Monday was a holiday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Not sure where you're getting this info. Pirates had a holiday from Sunday to Tuesday. WW opened on a normal FSS. 

Yes, weekday holds this week may be a tad better, but WW held better on Monday than the overall market did. 

Again, no it didn't. Pirates first Monday was a holiday. 

But the sunday monday drop was beter for pirates right? So don't know why you say then the market.

Not saying it's a bad hold, i just don't see anything special about it. For me its just good.

Edited by pepsa