A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

A friend is telling me that a lot of films produced in China are dubbed over in Mandarin by other actors even when the original actors speak Mandarin. I find this very, very confusing. Any insights into what's going on there?

Edited by Jason

4 hours ago, Jason said:

A friend is telling me that a lot of films produced in China are dubbed over in Mandarin by other actors even when the original actors speak Mandarin. I find this very, very confusing. Any insights into what's going on there?

Dubbing over is more common in TV shows than in films in China actually.

In films, HongKong actors who cannot speak Mandarin well are dubbed by voicing actors, while Mainland actors most of the time use their own voices. But in TV shows, almost all of the so-called stars, Yang Yang, Yang Mi, Zhao Liying, Sun Li, Liu Yifei, you name it, all need the help of voicing actors.

This is not just confusing, but disgusting, and pathetic.

Becasue the professional skills of the actors of the young generation are so poor that they CANNOT even act in their own voice (you imagine it...). And because TV shows are low-quality fast food that need to done on a very tight schedule. In China, a TV show of 70 episodes can be filmed within two months, ten times 'efficient' than Hollywood, even worse, the leading actor and actress who receive paychecks of RMB 80 million+ each only appears on the location for no more than 20 days, you imagine it.. a hot actor/actress appears in as many as four TV shows, five variety shows, two dozen commercials, and countless roadshows and interviews in a single year, so busy collecting paychecks in millions. In today's China, captical waits for stars, lining up to send money to stars. There are probably more than 100 such hot and busy actors/actresses in China, busier than the prime minister. In the history of three thousand years, I think the decade between 2012 and early 2020s is undoutably the best ever for being an actor in China, easy money, easy job, millions of fanboys/girls.

Actor, one of the few professions that didn't just keep up with but even surpassed the inflated GDP of China. :ph34r:

Come to China to be an actor if you are good at acting, really.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Dubbing over is more common in TV shows than in films in China actually.

In films, HongKong actors who cannot speak Mandarin well are dubbed by voicing actors, while Mainland actors most of the time use their own voices. But in TV shows, almost all of the so-called stars, Yang Yang, Yang Mi, Zhao Liying, Sun Li, Liu Yifei, you name it, all need the help of voicing actors.

This is not just confusing, but disgusting, and pathetic.

Come to China to be an actor if you are good at acting, really.

Yang Yang uses his own voice since he become popular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olive Skywalker said:

No may day holiday

700-800M/1.3B-1.5B

So total should be about on par with Avengers 2? Considering the increase in theaters in China, I think this suggest stagnation of the franchise there. Disney/Marvel should send many of the stars to China to promote. I think it will help.

Edited by UserHN