A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

6 minutes ago, YLF said:

Is it possible theres some entity sabotaging its rating?

the only thing sabotaging this score is probably the movie's ending. i can see it not being very popular with chinese audiences but idk somehow the rest of east asia is into it. 

10 minutes ago, YLF said:

Is it possible theres some entity sabotaging its rating?

Doubtful. I think some just aren’t into the ending. But I noticed several 1 star reviews that mentioned something about US movies deceiving Chinese audiences...not sure what that’s about. It’s possible some aren’t happy about a HW movie, especially a CBM, making so much money in China. 

Edited by Deja23

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

latest?cb=20140821045133 ?

I only say that because when RPO was out I remember someone saying someone/some company was paying people to downvote the movie? they said it was commonplace in China.

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

Doubtful. I think some just aren’t into the ending. But I noticed several 1 star reviews that mentioned something about US movies deceiving Chinese audiences...not sure what that’s about. It’s possible some aren’t happy about a HW, especially a CBM, making so much money in China. 

I just remember after opening night, you had people actually speculate that reaction would cause for a TLJ-type polarization among both fans and general audiences. Maybe something like that is happening here? Not to mention many people were surprised (without going into spoilers) that certain characters never met other certain characters that might make some folks feel deceived? I'm guessing here. 

7 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Doubtful. I think some just aren’t into the ending. But I noticed several 1 star reviews that mentioned something about US movies deceiving Chinese audiences...not sure what that’s about. It’s possible some aren’t happy about a HW movie, especially a CBM, making so much money in China. 

Will IW make 0.5WW2? :WHATanabe:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

I just remember after opening night, you had people actually speculate that reaction would cause for a TLJ-type polarization among both fans and general audiences. Maybe something like that is happening here? Not to mention many people were surprised (without going into spoilers) that certain characters never met other certain characters that might make some folks feel deceived? I'm guessing here. 

That someone you're referring is Grace Randolph. She desperately wanted this movie to have a TLJ-like effect in the box office. I did not see any evidence of TLJ-like polarization in North America and other countries in the world. I don't know about China but maybe the GA don't like sad endings or cliffhangers?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

That someone you're referring is Grace Randolph. She desperately wanted this movie to have a TLJ-like effect in the box office. I did not see any evidence of TLJ-like polarization in North America and other countries in the world. I don't know about China but maybe the GA don't like sad endings or cliffhangers?

Possibly they're just not used to this type of ending. Like Koreans are into some weird ass dark movies so I get why they're cool with this. lol

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lor15 said:

I don't understand how is there anyone who still hasn't ignored the guy from avatar and that shit...

Personally, I follow the forum from about two years but created my account some months ago, now it seems reading the threads is much easier with the ignore function activated haha

I don't think he's annoying at all, He's one of my favourite posters.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Many reviews on Maoyan mentioned US-China trade war sth. I think that is a factor 

I can see that, there's some really odd nationalism going on in China these days. Some may think they can accomplish something by punishing an American entertainment product when Hollywood has nothing to do with the trade war, and going to the movies is stimulating local economy as well. 

So the breakdown in Maoyan is like this:

9-10  71.3%

7-8    14.9%

5-6      6.8%

3-4      1.7%

1-2      5.3%

In the lower end, the weighted rating would be 7.9. On the higher end, it would be 8.9. So the 8.4 current rating is exactly in the middle. Makes sense.

26 minutes ago, UserHN said:

So the breakdown in Maoyan is like this:

9-10  71.3%

7-8    14.9%

5-6      6.8%

3-4      1.7%

1-2      5.3%

In the lower end, the weighted rating would be 7.9. On the higher end, it would be 8.9. So the 8.4 current rating is exactly in the middle. Makes sense.

That does seem to be the case for IW, but are the ratings usually this accurate? For example, this is Justice League’s rating, which doesn’t correlate to a 8.6 rating at all unless I’m missing something. 

9-10  12.7%

7-8    18.2%

5-6     56.4%

3-4      5.5%

1-2      7.3%

Oh well, I’d be more concerned about IW’s rating if it wasn’t opening higher than I expected 2 weeks ago and/or had major competition next weekend. 

Edited by Deja23