A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're being a little harsh to that guy, let me give you a little perspective.

I've been reading these threads for the last week and people have like Potus have been writing long posts (he must be right!) saying 230m opening weekend is the floor. Now you're telling him he was dumb for believing that in the first place, but for someone trying to guage it's performance from the posts in here rather than their knowledge of Chinese box office it did seem as though people in here were expecting 400m+ was a given.

Just going by the numbers with a warning it could fall off, I stayed optimistic. The numbers were there for everyone to extrapolate. Others, like @ZeeSoh,  said $200-$220.  Anyone could look at the spectrum and decide for themselves.

And  $230 could still happen with a stronger evening and a huge Sat bump.  And so could $400

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Well yeah it might be, but the problem is what do you do? Not trust Potus? You can ask everyone who's been active in the China thread the last 1-2 years. He's very good at projecting what a movie will do based on presales. He normaly does a very good job at this. And everybody can be 'wrong' sometimes, I think he earned his mis. That said it's still way to early to tell if it won't hit his low end target. 

All that has to be done is not flame the guy saying "I thought we expected more".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fake said:

FF8 did almost 20M for 2-3PM (sort of an aberration) because subsequently  it only did 16.5-17.5 per hour. So it will be tough for IW to match that, and may fall behind for a while, but if IW keeps improving like the current rate, it may start pulling in 18M per hour and catch up to FF8.

we usually see a bulge in the middle of the day for all movies. Tapers off for a couple of hours then increases again after 530pm (50-100%)which FF8 didnt do and hopping IW does

Edited by POTUS

Just now, IronJimbo said:

All that has to be done is not flame the guy saying "I thought we expected more".

Ow obviously, I too thought it would do more. But it's not over yet. That said 'the guy' is very emotional :P

44 minutes ago, Agafin said:

It's really weird how this movie seems to be having less walk-ups than FF8. Does anyone think the earlier start of presales had an impact?

SH films is always frontloads than other films.No matter when the presale begin,fans will rush to prebook tickets first.FF8 is more GA friendly.So FF8 has stronger walk-ups.

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Well yeah it might be, but the problem is what do you do? Not trust Potus? You can ask everyone who's been active in the China thread the last 1-2 years. He's very good at projecting what a movie will do based on presales. He normaly does a very good job at this. And everybody can be 'wrong' sometimes, I think he earned his mis. That said it's still way to early to tell if it won't hit his low end target. 

Don't bother with Jimbo, it's his game he's playing.

He clings on early optimistic estimate so he can act like IW is a disappointment.

On every daily number thread, he's been saying "I thought you guys said passing Avatar DOM is locked, now it's only doing xxx" when literally there're only 2 guys said that, everyone else had been cautious because of AOU.

POTUS has always been a little more optimistic than others so now Jimbo uses POTUS's words to play his game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Well, any movie OPENING to $200M+ in China can't be called UNDERWHELMING. That's the point. Yes he expected more but to call the performance of this movie underwhelming is a bit of a reach actually. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bladels said:

He clings on early optimistic estimate so he can act like IW is a disappointment.

On every daily number thread, he's been saying "I thought you guys said passing Avatar DOM is locked, now it's only doing xxx" when literally there're only 2 guys said that, everyone else had been cautious because of AOU.

POTUS has always been a little more optimistic than others so now Jimbo uses POTUS's words to play his game.

Potus even states that he has been a little more optimistic,all come down to "the guy" not even care to read

Just now, bladels said:

Absolutely false, go re-read the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday thread. Just because it also happened for DOM as well doesn't mean I have an agenda.

Does this mean you think everyone wasn't suggesting 400m+ for China? You'll be wrong there too, this thread is the one place everyones expectations originate to on both BOT and redfit box office and I can tell you this thread created the 400m+ expectation.

I know you think I'm some mastermind but sometimes I like to point out reality whenever we stray far from it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Its still going to be over $200m which all of saw.  How many "expert analysts" were saying $100-150m including Grace Mendelson. $200m is much bigger than that.  I kept saying something could go off the rails and I can admit when and where I was wrong, but the experts back peddle.

• Like 2