A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

So if it hits 500, that's like 80M US, so that puts it at about 150 million.  What is a realistic Sunday drop?  Is 25% attainable?

3 hours ago, REC said:

Still IW is making more on it's opening Saturday than F8 did, and people are disappointed?  The world has indeed gone mad.  :insane:

Why let one person bring you down?  Thrylos is the only one saying it's a disappointment.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

So if it hits 500, that's like 80M US, so that puts it at about 150 million.  What is a realistic Sunday drop?  Is 25% attainable?

the way it plays through yesterday and today,around 33% is realistic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GOXOG said:

the way it plays through yesterday and today,around 33% is realistic

Wow, that would be a big Sunday decline, wouldn't it?

1 minute ago, GOXOG said:

i think not people just some individuals :gold:

There's an interesting sortof pre-programmed sociological condition at work here.  There's a % that rebels against anything popular or successful, like a trigger in their brain goes off, and they are compelled to mouth off against that successful thing.  I've seen people actually describe their feelings on this as if the thing is offending them by 'forcing' them to like it, because its so popular with everyone else or whatever.  It's as if every 15th person is required to auto-hate because agreeing with the majority would somehow turn them into sheep.

And that's probably applying more logic to it than it's due.  Combine that bizarre mental condition with the anonymity of the internet and you have a formula for people saying things they would never say in real life to people.

The internet is wonderful... except when people contribute to dragging it down with vile hate and anonymous, protected negative behavior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

It will be at about 940ish by end of today so it needs around 325 tomorrow for 200m. That would be a drop of about 34.5%. For reference FF8 dropped only about 21% whereas BP which had very bad ratings fell about 37%. 

Of the 325 it has already done about 117m of PS with a few hours of increase still remaining. 

I’m fairly confident it will get there. 30% is a typical drop fyi

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What would you say the wom is like right now with IW?  Is the Chinese movie going population liking it?  Does it have a realistic shot at hitting 400?  What it makes here will obviously determine if it hits 2B or not.

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I would say yes but IW's run is not like any other movie and I don't want my words to be use against me :P . Let's just say 30% for now :D

Edited by bladels
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

What would you say the wom is like right now with IW?  Is the Chinese movie going population liking it?  Does it have a realistic shot at hitting 400?  What it makes here will obviously determine if it hits 2B or not.

Chinese members can provide a better idea of WoM but ratings across different platforms are fairly decent. Even on Maoyan the rating is 8.6 which is what many SH movies achieved last year even with some evidence of deliberate down voting. 

All those movies that hit a 8.6 rating on Maoyan went on to get a 2x multi. However with this things are complicated since it already did so much in its opening weekend so it will likely be frontloaded. But one thing in its favour is that it has barely any competition for a few weeks which will help it to retain screens and develop some legs. Still I am doubtful of a 2x legs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Chinese members can provide a better idea of WoM but ratings across different platforms are fairly decent. Even on Maoyan the rating is 8.6 which is what many SH movies achieved last year even with some evidence of deliberate down voting. 

All those movies that hit a 8.6 rating on Maoyan went on to get a 2x multi. However with this things are complicated since it already did so much in its opening weekend so it will likely be frontloaded. But one thing in its favour is that it has barely any competition for a few weeks which will help it to retain screens and develop some legs. Still I am doubtful of a 2x legs

IE, predicting this is complicated.  :ohmygod:

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

So 350-400 is the likely range.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Saturday(May 12th/2018) Est.
Infinity War 494M/$78M, total 939.4M/$148.3M
Saturday increase from True Friday is 28%, way better than FF8's 17%
Biggest Saturday ever besting FF8 opening Sat (487.5M)
2nd biggest Single day ever, only  behind MH2 OD(547M) 

Us and them, 10.4M/1314M  +46.5%
I am Your Mother 7.4M/14.47M +18%

A or B 2.15M/349M +90%
Rampage 1.07M/980M +120%

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jon Witch said:

Say the total for China is 350, which is the floor i supposed? Will this somehow affect the chance of reaching 2bil WW? At this point any number below 2 bil mark will make me sad. 

nah, it will be fine

• Like 1