A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

8 minutes ago, Jon Witch said:

Say the total for China is 350, which is the floor i supposed? Will this somehow affect the chance of reaching 2bil WW? At this point any number below 2 bil mark will make me sad. 

$2B is still fine imo but passing Titanic is dead tho, its goal now is TFA. All depends on how hard Deadpool and Solo hit it.

Edited by bladels

3 hours ago, bladels said:

$2B is still fine imo but passing Titanic is dead tho, its goal now is TFA. All depends on how hard Deadpool and Solo hit it.

I'm perfectly fine with it not passing TFA and Titanic.  :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Solo won't be too big a player OS. 

though 2 big movie open so close to each other  gonna take away a lot of screen,so still get hit but how hard

Edited by GOXOG

Apart from BP's 37% drop is there any other MCU film that dropped 35% or more on Sunday? Cause -34% drop / $51.5 Sunday will give AIW $200.8 and take it over the milestone.

17 minutes ago, Proxima Olive said:

Saturday(May 12th/2018) Est.
Infinity War 494M/$78M, total 939.4M/$148.3M
Saturday increase from True Friday is 28%, way better than FF8's 17%
Biggest Saturday ever besting FF8 opening Sat (487.5M)
2nd biggest Single day ever, only  behind MH2 OD(547M) 

Us and them, 10.4M/1314M  +46.5%
I am Your Mother 7.4M/14.47M +18%

A or B 2.15M/349M +90%
Rampage 1.07M/980M +120%

So Us and Them is a legit hit in China despite the scandal? I'm slightly a fan of Jing Bo Ran.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GOXOG said:

though 2 big movie open so close to each other may gonna away a lot of screen,so still get hit but how hard

Right, I forgot about losing screens which is what cuts some potentially longer runs short. I'll never forgive screen cutting of Molly's Game, just as it found audience, to accommodate 50+ new movies released in December. :angry:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GOXOG said:

yes,but not much a threat in asia like deadpool,europe is a different story though

Yes, I know.  Just saying that to say it won't be a threat internationally is a bit presumptuous.  It's not going to be huge everywhere but in places like the UK, Australia and some European markets, it will still do well.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2018 at 1:11 PM, ZeeSoh said:

Projections time!

Friday - seems to be heading towards sub 400 at this point which would be a multi from PS of 2.2 or lower compared to the 2.5+ of FF8. Perhaps a 390m total for the day

Saturday - As of 3pm PS is up about 21% from yesterday and around a run rate of 4ph. We saw the last few days that the midpoint for PS increase is around 5pm. If that holds true today as well then total increase should be around 55% for the day to a final total of 189

Now FF8 managed around a 3.07 multi from PS for this day. Its safe to say that IW will not achieve this multi and will come lower. How much lower is up in the air but I am going with a multi just shy of 2.6 to give a Saturday total of 490 which would be about 25.6% increase from Friday. For reference FF8 increase just about 16.8% on this day. 

But I would just like to add that MCU movies play strongly on Saturday’s as we have seen in DOM market so IW could play more strongly on Saturday than what I project. 

Sunday - FF8 fell about 21% this day with 9+ ratings. BP fell about 37% with an 8 rating. IW will fall somewhere in between. I think it will drop somewhere in the 25-30% zone for 350-370 total for the day. 

Total - adding it all up gives me a total of about 1300m Yuan or $204.8m usd which is what I thought it would do about 2 days back as you can see above. 

Should have stuck with my mid Friday projections for Friday and Saturday

:sparta:

PS: That Sunday number seems optimistic now. Will likely not hit that

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Should have stuck with my mid Friday projections for Friday and Saturday

:sparta:

PS: That Sunday number seems optimistic now. Will likely not hit that

Anything over 200 mill is gravy atp;)

Presales will finish with 218-219M which is 40% down from yesterday.

Now, FF8 Sun presales were 27% down, and it dropped 21%.

BP's presales were 48% down, and it dropped 37%.

So, with presales 40% down, IW should have a drop of 31%, which translates to 340M.

$200M should still happen, but if Saturday drops from estimates (like it did for Friday) then who knows......

• Like 1