A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I do not know if this has been said:

$200m = 1.268b Yuan (6.34 ER)

Cume adding Sunday presales: 1.064b.

So it needs to do 204m more to not be the biggest disappointment ever... it seems :ph34r:

• Haha 2

MCU movies NEED negativity and doomsday scenarios. 

How else would everyone cope with the biggest franchise of all time, that's been able to top itself twice the same year while every studio is trying so hard to replicate. 

Let $199.99m be both record-breaking and massively disappointing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Barnack said:

When people said in some other thread, never seen a record breaker reception being so negative, I thought for a second, wait what record are we talking about, so made up record like best OW for a Hollywood SH movie or something.

No we are talking about the biggest openning ever in China and it was true that reading the thread one would have not known that was the case.

$200m is a totally made up irrelevant number (specially when you consider that it is volatile to the exchange rate and other factor), biggest openning ever is the big bar. Would not surprise me if the movie fall like a rock after that, having people going right away so much in that market and for that type of movie effect combined, but still..... 196 vs 206 vs 210m OW are like 5% difference.

I think much of the reaction comes from the fact that presales seemed to indicate a OW in China over the Dom OW, at least to the most knowledgeable users in this subforum. I for one thoughh the floor was 230M, based on POTUS pojections so, since I thought 200M was already in the bag, it doesn't look too great for me, even though objectively it is a great number.

Also, I'm not blaming the users who made the projections at all, I'm thankful to them for trying to predict as well as they could. I reckon this movie behaved very differently than what's normal in relation to presales, so not their fault. 

Edited by ThiagoMaia
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Heh, when I wrote that this won’t pass 350 million in page 1836, a few hours ago, some people reacted as if I had committed a crime against humanity.

It's not what you write but the way you do it

Edited by raulbalarezo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GOXOG said:

Jimbo tends to compare other movies perfomance to Avatar,it's fair though and he never call anything make 0.5 of Avatar "disappointing result"

On the other hand,Thrylos can declare anything disappointing just because it may not pass previous record holder by much.Despite the fact that IW has never been more popular than FF in China,and being more frontload

But...but... Vin Diesel is in Infinity War!

18 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

If your not aware AIW playing around 9000 theatres (over 1000 more than FF8)  admits through Sat would be over 25m

biggest cities Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou

Yeah,1200+ theaters more than FF8