A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Oh I am sorry did I exasperate you with my simple questions and asking for a logical explanation. Maybe you shouldnt make stupid assertions so that when people easily refute you, you get frustrated. 

And I dont need to go back and check your responses because you havent bothered replying to half of the points and the points that you have made makes no sense. Sinply repeating the same thing over and over does not make it sensible or true. 

And I also do not need to read the review because I am not naive to be shocked by some bad reviews. As I already said it happens with pretty much every SH movie. Captain Marvel had to face far far worse yet you didnt see people running around here shouting that all the sexist review comments were made by DC fans. 

My biggest gripe however is that you are unnecessarily ruining the discourse. Just look at the last few pages that your shit stirring has led to. If you have to do it and try to incite fanboy wars then there is a thread for that. Dont do it here at least. And I am done debating with the likes of you who do nothing but stir the pot. 

Oh, snap! :jeb!:

Good point there, btw.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

36 minutes ago, shuotong said:

Black panther has a 8.4 with 1.6x. Can't wait to see the leg of Shazam lol

With a holiday OD it will be tough to pull a 1.6

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

atm just hoping that Shazam can do 500+ total (usd mid 70s). 😢

Sat PS may not reach 10m, might be just 50m saturday

Could be less than a 200m weekend and a 1.5 ow multi

Unless im wrong about Sat, Im thinking 300m/$45m at best

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

4:30pm:-

Shazam - 66.82 (+3.07 in last half hour)

P storm - 51.66 (+3.72 in last half hour)

Quite surprised at the rating for P storm and the fact that it is doing rather well. Even more surprised to see it doing better, for now, than Shazam. It probably isnt enough to overtake Shazam for the day though. 

Thanks to the holiday Shazam should finish with a good PS to OD multi but the big test will be how it performs tomorrow. That will be a good indicator on the internal multi and legs. As of right now Sat PS is at 6.69m (down about 73% from Friday PS). It has not increased a whole lot from where it was last night (4.87) but there is still a lot of time left so not gonna rush to judgement. 

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Is this confirmed? Because the app also shows reviews from people who does not have the ‘bought ticket’ ticked under their reviews.

Yeah you can still rate and leave comments but it doesn't count towards the average rating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Is it possible certain wordings mean different per original language? I feel a bit that some posts do not share 100% the POV on what means what (not sure if it is clear what I mean)

I lived once through a couple of very bad 'fan war' weeks, where we later learned a certain term mean in different languages different things, beside all hat their 'official' translations, but no one realised it in time.

And it was literally only one word that changed all.

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Is this confirmed? Because the app also shows reviews from people who does not have the ‘bought ticket’ ticked under their reviews.

Yes it is confirmed. And I don’t think mentioning Marvel films in their review as a comparison necessarily means that they are Marvel fans. They might be general audience who might not have any preference for either brand. But after Shazam! kind of disappointed them, they started comparisons. 

Just like when reviews saying that AQM is better than Marvel movies, these reviews doesn’t necessarily come from Marvel haters.

• Like 6

WB China has a expectation of $65M lifetime gross for Shazam. They expected higher with local distribution partner iQiyi Pictures before the internal screening. I heard almost all people from WB & iQiyi didn’t give positive reactions from the screening. They already foresaw the result and kept low expectation since then.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

WB China has a expectation of $65M lifetime gross for Shazam. They expected higher with local distribution partner iQiyi Pictures before the internal screening. I heard almost all people from WB & iQiyi didn’t give positive reactions from the screening. They already foresaw the result and kept low expectation since then.
that would be the lowest gross China for a CBM since.. Fantastic Four in 2015..?

but I guess Shazam wasn't expected to do that well there anyway

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Apologies if I misinterpreted anything wrongly. I was just really helping to translate the reviews and relating the sentiment from the posts in North America movie box office forum on Baidu. Let me know if anyone wants the link to that forum; posts are in Chinese though.

Anyway, that aside. Good news is that right now score is up to 8.0 on Maoyan, with 5.8% audiences giving 2 or less in scores; compared to 8.6% in the morning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Will it even be able to hit 65m total with audience scores that low? 

18 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Great information as always. That stinks but it makes sense now. Thank you 

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

1) You are not sure if the rating includes those have not seen the movie, yet you started drawing conclusion the rating was affected by them

2) You keep saying this movie is not divisive because you don't think it is. Whether a movie is divisive or not depend on a wide range of audience, not your opinion. In fact in my opinion, Sahzam! can be very divisive, because many non-US audience are likely not getting the gags/jokes etc, and will be disappointed in a CBM that is both not funny and have not good action scenes. "Childishness" can be a valid assessment. This will constitute big divisiveness from someones like you.

3) You keep saying that some reviews seemed to suggest Shazam! is a poor choice sandwiched between CM and Endgame. And you are inclined to think that those reviews are biased towards Marvel. This is really a non-issue: CM has come out 4 weeks ago, its BO will not be affected by Shazam! (Surprised that you stay close to China BO forum and do not realise that >90% of money is earned in first 2-3 weeks). As for Endgame that come out 19 days later, do you seriously think Shazam! in its 20 days of release can reduce Endgame BO by even a few thousands?

4) The reviews you read may or may not be biased, but you seem to read most reviews with a tinted glass of fan rivalry.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, justvision said:

1) You are not sure if the rating includes those have not seen the movie, and you started drawing conclusion the rating was affected by them

2) You keep ssaying this movie is not divisive because you don't think it is. Whether a movie is divisive or not depend on a wide range of audience, 

3) 

4)

Too Long; so I don’t want to quote the whole thing. 

I do my best to convey and translate the messages I see and I can here.

On 1) I was pretty sure previously Maoyan app does take into account scores from non-ticket buyers. I used to have an account and have tried before. I am not sure whether the system changed; and once someone corrected me, I accepted that. And I moved on and apologise. But you did not move on....

2) I don’t think it is divisive and the % of less than 2 stars (out of 10) sort of proves it. It was almost 9 percent in the morning, now almost halted to 5+ percent, and I believe it will go lower to 3+ percent.

3) There were a few reviews like that, but one became the highest upvoted review for a couple of hours when I did my post. Yes, I know most of the box office numbers come from the first 2 weeks or so; but that was not the impretation of that review. People who are concerned about release dates should be DC fans, not other brands’ fans, no? But this review actually said this release date was stupid and my interpretation is that this immature superhero-wannabe-show is not a good appetiser before End Game.

4) please go onto those NA movie box office forums in Tieba. I have been reading posts after posts, topics after topics, and in the morning a lot of reviews that conveys similar message. I am not sure how to fully convey what I have seen there; so much hate speech there that moderators are banning members left/right/center. I don’t think my interpretation is fully wrong, but I do my best and try my best to relay what I have read.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Too Long; so I don’t want to quote the whole thing. 

I do my best to convey and translate the messages I see and I can here.

On 1) I am pretty sure previously Maoyan app does take into account scores from non-ticket buyers. I used to have an account and have tried before. I am not sure whether the system changed; and once someone corrected me, I accepted that. And I moved on and apologise. But you did not move on....

Didn't see your last message of apology before I posted. Still disagree with your counterpoints of 2, 3, 4. But let's agree to disagree.