A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

45 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

that would be the lowest gross China for a CBM since.. Fantastic Four in 2015..?

but I guess Shazam wasn't expected to do that well there anyway

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

I expected it to do well in China because they like fun movies. I even expected a Maoyan rating of 9+. Guess I was wrong.

52 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

is OW still going for 40-45?

I see just 201m/$30m

I don't know why I keep reading $45m with tomorrow PS so low(8.4m, maybe going to 10m) and a 7.9 rating

Am I missing something?

MN      6

OD   102

Sa      55

Su      38

Tot    201m

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

Chinese reaction to Shazam seems very strange to me. Anyone who has seen any trailer or marketing for Shazam would clearly have seen that it is a very childish movie. So why did these people even show up to Shazam if they didn't want to watch a childish superhero movie?

Going to a Shazam movie and then be angry that the movie is childish is as rational as going to a horror movie and then be angry that the movie was scary. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Chinese reaction to Shazam seems very strange to me. Anyone who has seen any trailer or marketing for Shazam would clearly have seen that it is a very childish movie. So why did these people even show up to Shazam if they didn't want to watch a childish superhero movie?

Going to a Shazam movie and then be angry that the movie is childish is as rational as going to a horror movie and then be angry that the movie was scary. 

On 3/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, XO21 said:

I'll be surprised if Shazam does well in China...it has all the elements they didn't like about Spidey Homecoming: small scale, low on action and visual effects.

I'll quote myself on this. Maybe that's why they're calling it "childish". I think especially the general public expects a big spectacle. Aquaman and Shazam in this aspect are total opposite IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XO21 said:

I'll quote myself on this. Maybe that's why they're calling it "childish". I think especially the general public expects a big spectacle. Aquaman and Shazam in this aspect are total opposite IMO.

Kinda interested to see how Far From Home does. Judging by the teaser they seemed to have upped the spectacle.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Full day will be around 110M?

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Will not reach 100m let alone 110m the way it is going. It did only 0.7m in the last half hour. If we go by Gavin's numbers on the last page then the total is even lower than what maoyan is currently showing.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Not sure what is going on with the OD numbers for Shazam, still frozen. Sat PS might get to 11 though if it doesn’t slow down too badly.     

MN      6

OD   102(?)

Sa      64

Su      43

Tot    215m/$32M   

For me

22 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Not sure what is going on with the OD numbers for Shazam, still frozen. Sat PS might get to 11 though if it doesn’t slow down too badly.     

MN      6

OD   102(?)

Sa      64

Su      43

Tot    215m/$32M   

For me

OD (It won't add more put maybe it will spring because of a bug? ) but otherwise 97.5m

2 hours ago, LordNox said:

Most Chinese theaters don't show movie trailers, most audience don't watch trailers before they watch movies.

• Like 1

Shazam becomes the first HLW superhero film that never hit #1 in like many years or forever.

I agree on 210m OW but with a ~70m Sat.  Thanks to the fact that literally nothing opens next weekend, a 300-350m total is still possible. Closer to 300 or 350m will depend on next Friday's bump.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Shazam becomes the first HLW superhero film that never hit #1 in like many years or forever.

I agree on 210m OW but with a ~70m Sat.  Thanks to the fact that literally nothing opens next weekend, a 300-350m total is still possible. Closer to 300 or 350m will depend on next Friday's bump.

last one not opening #1 was Ghost Rider 2  in 2012

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1