A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Shazam did even worse than my expectations but really now Is the time to talk about the predictions I've seen of it going past 100m or higher (!) 

I don't understand how after all this time some people still think a foreign movie will be a smash hit just because it ticks a box (superhero) or because there is no big Hollywood competition at the same time, as if that gives the movie a clear path to walk over everything else for no real reason. 

You need more than that to do well and connect with audiences in China. The Chinese market and audience deserves to be treated with more respect. It's grown up fast and it's earnt it. 

1 hour ago, expensiveho said:

Question, do theaters book more/less screens to the movies based on Maoyan rating (as a predictor) or strictly based on PTA?

Like does the maoyan rating affect directly or is it just an indicator of good/bad reception?

I've noticed next day adjustments based on PTA. Some low 8 ratings have had great PTA and more shows the next day

4 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

I've noticed next day adjustments based on PTA. Some low 8 ratings have had great PTA and more shows the next day

Why don't you come visit us at NA weekend thread?You seems to have lot of knowledge about box office. 

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

NA is lame, lacks data cleanliness and delivery speed :ph34r:

No need for the emoji. It's a fact that Chinese box office data is much more readily available and updates every 30 mins vs domestic where you pray to the Asgardian gods and hope it works out. If we had a site like Maoyan for domestic box, that would be truly unbelievable.:ohmygod:

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, druv10 said:

No need for the emoji. It's a fact that Chinese box office data is much more readily available and updates every 30 mins vs domestic where you pray to the Asgardian gods and hope it works out. If we had a site like Maoyan for domestic box, that would be truly unbelievable.:ohmygod:

30mins?

you probably did not download the Maoyan app.

haha. Maoyan site refreshes every 30minutes but Maoyan app refreshes every second; and the daily numbers at the end of the day are usually pretty accurate.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew said:

How to change the language of app in English? 

Is the app simple Maoyan app or special app? 

I don't use the app because I don't have smartphone but a lot of other members use it so they will be able to tell you that.

And I have no clue how you put in English (if even possible) I mean it's not that hard. Enough members on this forum who can read chinese and they give the top 5 in English and that way I learn what movie is what. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matthew said:

Why don't you come visit us at NA weekend thread?You seems to have lot of knowledge about box office. 

Same reason as below, not enough data and transparency. 

In domestic; 3000 theaters stated. is that 3000 screens or 9000 screens?  12k shows or 40k shows, no idea. 

I do the derby for domestic.

Yall should do the derby. fun challenge.  Tough competitors

I played the derby on Mojo from 2001-2010 when it ended

https://derby.boxofficetheory.com/AllPredictions.aspx

Box Office Derby
Standings

|         
TalismanRing 4727 86.308% 172 78.227% 88.591% 3.578%
Bates 4661 87.236% 166 78.487% 89.628% 4.323%
POTUS 2020 4582 86.007% 172 76.390% 88.785% 3.277%
8wombi7 4371 85.684% 172 75.970% 88.605% 2.954%
nature league 4298 86.068% 150 75.662% 89.132% 3.714%
Simionski 3856 84.652% 165 73.073% 88.485% 1.970%
Wildbill 3831 84.854% 168 74.215% 88.228% 2.006%
Rolling Thunder 3823 84.381% 172 73.459% 87.784% 1.652%
Exxdee 3790 85.886% 144 75.456% 88.833% 3.143%
16 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

NA is lame, lacks data cleanliness and delivery speed :ph34r:

12 hours ago, druv10 said:

27 minutes ago, Matthew said:

How to change the language of app in English? 

Is the app simple Maoyan app or special app? 

I use the website with google chrome auto translate

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1