China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

16 minutes ago, Olive said:

Saturday Est

Aladdin 51.2m/79.3m, +85%

Pikachu 23.1m/556.1m, +176%

Dog's Journey 15.1M/152M, +94%

Godzilla 2 14.55M previews

Dragon Ball  8M/14.85M,+23%

Good bump for Aladdin, and great bump for DP.

Dog's Journey, despite its high Maoyan score did not really break out due to limit audience base and relatively weak IP.

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

Maoyan scores will differ. But bo legs could be similar. likely KOTM has higher score but lower (maybe not by much) BO than JWFK.

Considering that is see every number above the 77M of G14 as a success, that sounds great to me.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Disney dropped the ball with Aladdin in China. Could’ve easily been a big hit if they actually marketed it. What a shame... 

I wonder though. Say they spent $10 million better marketing it and it went all the way up to $100. Let's say it gets to $40. $60 million in China yields less than 14 million. So they would net less than 4 million off that. 

Kind of depressing and shows why Hollywood is pissed about the 25% (gross and even lower after fees) numbers.

Edited by cdsacken

9 minutes ago, SURAJ said:

Fkuk, i am unable to open Maoyan, Douban and TPP on my device. Pls someone tell me Godzilla2 Ratings. Thanks in advance.

Godzilla not listed on maoyan

Douban is 6.8

Edited by cdsacken

20 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Godzilla not listed on maoyan

Douban is 6.8

Taopiapio or whatever is called has similar ratings to Maoyan right? Can someone confirm this? Because currently in that one site it's at 9/10 so therefore it should yield over at Maoyan around 9.0. 

If this is the case, then it should do very well considering that KSI had an 8.3 rating and it still did pretty decent over there. 

4 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I wonder though. Say they spent $10 million better marketing it and it went all the way up to $100. Let's say it gets to $40. $60 million in China yields less than 14 million. So they would net less than 4 million off that. 

Kind of depressing and shows why Hollywood is pissed about the 25% (gross and even lower after fees) numbers.

$10m on marketing? Only Avengers spends that much.

Douban not being so great really doesnt matter much. Rampage, Kong Skull Island, The Meg, JW2, monster movies seem to make ridiculous amounts of money in China despite low scores. I dont think there is any reason to worry about KoTM. If you read the reviews on Douban the consensus seems to be great monster action, mediocre human story. Delivering on the monster action is much more important for these kind of films, KoTM will slay 

On 5/24/2019 at 7:44 PM, Charlie Jatinder said:

Dammn. 28mn OD. This is the biggest PSm I saw in my tracking till date for Hollywood.

Looks like 6mn pre-sales for tomorrow. Shall hit 50mn tommorow. Sunday perhaps 40mn+.

115-120mn OW is possible. $17mn Approx.

cover1.jpg

Won't rule out 45 today. Very good 125mn weekend against the 75-80mn expectations that pre-sales were telling.

• Thanks 1