A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Detective Pikachu, Godzilla KoTM, and now The Lion King were all predicted to be huge 200 mil+ hits in China but made a bit more than 100 mil. I have a feeling Hobbs and Shaw will follow suit.

import films are not brave.

Local titles are brave.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Detective Pikachu, Godzilla KoTM, and now The Lion King were all predicted to be huge 200 mil+ hits in China but made a bit more than 100 mil. I have a feeling Hobbs and Shaw will follow suit.

i never really understood why pickachu and kotm werent that big, ( i can see why lion king wasnt , i mean the highest remake is 150)

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I agree with your feeling. Rock can't carry this spin off movie to a 200+ hit in China imo.

Pikachu should never have been predicted that high either, Pikachu is a cute character in China but the Pokemon brand is not that strong as a whole. 

Godzilla was a disappointment, I expected more from it too, but it squeezed out an ok run in the end. TLK is following the pattern of the remakes so not that surprising. 

I don't think Ne Zha is going to get close to Zootopia either. It will have bigger drops than people expect. Maybe some families want to see a Chinese themed animation right now but it's not going to grab the kid audience long term and doesn't have much appeal outside that. Just my opinion. 

Edited by RaidensSword
Added last paragraph.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, RaidensSword said:

I agree with your feeling. Rock can't carry this spin off movie to a 200+ hit in China imo.

I'm thinking the same. Maybe around $150 million like Rampage or Meg. 

Edited by KP1025
Mixed up the gross for Skyscraper with Meg.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I'm thinking the same. Maybe around $150 million like Rampage and Skyscraper. 

Yes, the Fast & Furious brand name will help but it still needs the movie to be good or at least likeable enough for the Fast & Furious fanbase.

I think around 150 would be a good result to be happy with.

Edited by RaidensSword
Grammar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I never realized Frozen had such a high rating in China. What are the expectations for the sequel, box office wise? Frozen itself only made about $50 million.

With rare exceptions like Zootopia and Coco, animated films in China seem to really struggle to break out even with excellent ratings (look at Toy Story 4 as the latest example). That said, I do expect a decent increase for Frozen II in China. The first film actually had a good multiplier (only opened to $14 million) but couldn't hold onto enough screens to really develop late legs like in South Korea or Japan. It actually had a rare second weekend increase, so it seemed WOM was starting to build.

And based off this post (in response to whether Frozen II can top Zootopia), it looks like the film has left a big impact in China just like other parts of East Asia. 

On 5/5/2019 at 11:30 PM, firedeep said:

I think yes. Frozen merchandise everywhere. It has grown into something mega in the past five years.

My personal expectations are $100 million for now. Any higher would require the same level of reception as the original and a good release date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RaidensSword said:

don't think Ne Zha is going to get close to Zootopia either. It will have bigger drops than people expect. Maybe some families want to see a Chinese themed animation right now but it's not going to grab the kid audience long term and doesn't have much appeal outside that. Just my opinion. 

You realize Chinese animation has done great at the box office before, right?

Tony Leung taking a lot of heat on Weibo for accepting the role of Mandarin; because many are saying the character is racist...

Not sure where that came from.

I am seeing posts saying Tony Leung is a has-been and is not selective in his roles.

• ...wtf 2

54 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Tony Leung taking a lot of heat on Weibo for accepting the role of Mandarin; because many are saying the character is racist...

Not sure where that came from.

I am seeing posts saying Tony Leung is a has-been and is not selective in his roles.

Philistines

Tony Leung is a Cinematic God!

6 minutes ago, firedeep said:

predictions for Ne Zha range from 400m to 3B .......

The Bravest, the fire fighting movie that scared Hobbs and Shaw from July 26 to Aug 23, is also said to have a shot at 3B.

Are there any films on the horizon that people believe could challenge Wolf Warrior 2?