A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Tony Leung taking a lot of heat on Weibo for accepting the role of Mandarin; because many are saying the character is racist...

Not sure where that came from.

I am seeing posts saying Tony Leung is a has-been and is not selective in his roles.

Wait so they're going to do the Mandarin straight up this time?

The Mandarin from the comic books is a racist character, from what I understand.

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wait so they're going to do the Mandarin straight up this time?

The Mandarin from the comic books is a racist character, from what I understand.

Shang-Chi will feature the real Mandarin, not the IM3 fakeout.     

It’s safe to assume it will be heavily changed from the racist version in the early comics though. Winston Duke’s character in BP was a super racist villain named Man-Ape, and there’s basically nothing left of that in his well liked BP role.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Shang-Chi will feature the real Mandarin, not the IM3 fakeout.     

It’s safe to assume it will be heavily changed from the racist version in the early comics though. Winston Duke’s character in BP was a super racist villain named Man-Ape, and there’s basically nothing left of that in his well liked BP role.

How was the original Mandarin racist?

1 hour ago, WayneBorg said:

@firedeepWhat's the potential of FF9, Wonder Woman 2, Croods 2 and Minions 2 in China next year in your opinion? 

FF7 I bet somewhere between FF7 and the Jason-Rock Spinoff

WW2 600-800m

Minions 2 could be decreasing to around $100m

Croods 2 about flat from the first

• Like 1

1 hour ago, infamous5445 said:

How was the original Mandarin racist?

Mandarin (a word originated in the great sailing era), much like Dr No in the James Bond series, is believed to be based on Fu Manchou, who himself is widely seen as a racist symbol against 19th century Chinese. In the comics, Shang CHi is introduced as a son of Fu Manchou.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, firedeep said:

But maybe Jason S can? there is chance for 200.

Maybe a low chance but Statham is even less of a star than The Rock. Meg was built around the shark as the star, people weren't turning up for a Statham movie. Even then it couldn't break 200 and that had a famous Chinese co lead in Li Bing Bing.

Mechanic Resurrection is a good example of his drawing power in China by himself with a similar kind of movie to Hobbs Shaw. I think he and The Rock's fanbases overlap a lot too so I don't see him bringing much extra to it. 

5 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

Maybe a low chance but Statham is even less of a star than The Rock. Meg was built around the shark as the star, people weren't turning up for a Statham movie. Even then it couldn't break 200 and that had a famous Chinese co lead in Li Bing Bing.

Mechanic Resurrection is a good example of his drawing power in China by himself with a similar kind of movie to Hobbs Shaw. I think he and The Rock's fanbases overlap a lot too so I don't see him bringing much extra to it. 

Maybe not in China where Statham arguably has a bigger fanbase.

Edited by firedeep

2 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

I'm only talking about in China. Rock is much more consistent in China than Statham and has had several more hit movies over recent years.

Statham is not that way. His works of pirates have the widest dissemination in Chinese social media. He is known as The King of B-movie.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Statham is not that way. His works of pirates have the widest dissemination in Chinese social media. He is known as The King of B-movie.

Yes exactly. People pirate his movies a lot, it doesn't mean they support him in the cinema. Look at Mechanic Resurrection. 

Edited by RaidensSword
Wording

24 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

Yes exactly. People pirate his movies a lot, it doesn't mean they support him in the cinema. Look at Mechanic Resurrection. 

I think one of the main reasons people don't go to cinema for him is that he seldom have A-level production. Fighting with My Family was scheduled to open on July 19th, but few people really knew about it even this have The Rock, and the distributor pushed it back.

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Mandarin (a word originated in the great sailing era), much like Dr No in the James Bond series, is believed to be based on Fu Manchou, who himself is widely seen as a racist symbol against 19th century Chinese. In the comics, Shang CHi is introduced as a son of Fu Manchou.

Great summary for those who are unaware...

Anyway..Tony Leung is getting flamed extremely badly. Just weibo his name and almost everyone is scolding him and saying they will boycott this movie and his future movies. 

I have heard that Kevin Feige called a few big Chinese stars for the role but some apparently turned it down because of the sensitivity... I think Tony Leung took it because he did not expect such repercussions or is not sure of the background; I mean I honestly don’t think he was Marvel’s first choice as Leung’s English and vocabulary is very limited.

While Chinese netizens are loud, their ‘boycott’ may not really translate to actual diminishing returns at the box office.

Edited by TigerPaw

Marvel Studios has turned to China’s ancient folklore to captivate Asian audiences and win a larger share of their lucrative market. It appears, however, to have been a risky venture for the superhero film-maker.

Film fans in Beijing initially praised the decision to cast an actor with Chinese heritage in the leading role of its first Asian superhero production but the early goodwill has soured.

There are now calls to boycott the new film, Shang-Chi. At the centre of the row are accusations that Fu Manchu, the main villain, personifies offensive stereotypes with racist overtones.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/shang-chi-marvel-risks-chinese-anger-from-bringing-back-fu-manchu-cg0q2dxq7

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Great summary for those who are unaware...

Anyway..Tony Leung is getting flamed extremely badly. Just weibo his name and almost everyone is scolding him and saying they will boycott this movie and his future movies. 

I have heard that Kevin Feige called a few big Chinese stars for the role but some apparently turned it down because of the sensitivity... I think Tony Leung took it because he did not expect such repercussions or is not sure if the background; I mean I honestly don’t think he was Marvel’s first choice as Leung’s English and vocabulary is very limited.

While Chinese netizens are loud, their ‘boycott’ may not really translate to actual diminishing returns at the box office.

unfortunately China never lacks those nationlism to whom everthing is senstive and insulting